1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Price - Part 4

Discussion in 'The Price - Serial Story' started by varalotti, Jul 14, 2006.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

The Price
    A Novelette By Varalotti Rengasamy

Part D

Reshma gently patted on his cheeks and spoke in a choked voice:

“Raghavan, you have done wonders to my ego just by asking. Thanks a lot,dear. But no thanks. This is our last meeting. Don’t try to meet me again. Don’t even come to the acting school.

“I know dear that you will be thinking that I have not done anything to help your career in movies. I could have easily got you into Bollywood through my underworld connections. But they’ll make your life hell once you succeed.

“I don’t want that to happen to you. That’s why I didn’t use my connections in your favour. I have been trying hard to get you in through the normal route. But that’s very difficult. I am still trying to do something for you.

“You remember Chandar. Yes, the kingmaker whose name I mentioned earlier. He is of course a crook. But at least he does not have anything to do with the underworld. I’ll see to it that he comes and meets you when the time is ripe. But hereafter don’t call me.

“It’s a great risk for you. The time I spent with you was probably the sweetest in my life. Please pray for me, dear.”

She planted a kiss on his cheeks and virtually ran away from him and from his life. An emotionally exhausted Raghavan reached home pretty early that evening.

Raghavan abandoned the acting classes. But the desire to get into the movies had become very intense. He was in a state of greater torment now for he was a hero in his dreams and thoughts and an accounts-clerk in his real life.

He could not bear this dual state any further and confided in Vidya, his burning desire to enter the tinsel world. Vidya spoke not like an ordinary wife but like a loving mother:

“Raghavan, I am not interested in what you do for a living. I am only concerned with how you do it. So far you were doing your work – though it was an ordinary one – in the best possible way.

“You look better than the best heroes of today. It’s quite natural for you to have such an ambition. But I hear that it’s very difficult to enter the cine-field.

“I am worried about one thing, though. None of the leading actors and actresses lead a happy life. We are outside the field and we do not know the travails of those who are in it. Just think about that.

“And remember one thing: there is nothing called free lunch in life. Every thing has a price. If you want to get that much of fame and money you will have to pay a matching price. If you are prepared for that I am sure you will have a promising career as an actor.”

At the time when these words were uttered even Vidya could not imagine the price Raghavan would be paying to to get into the movies.

Raghavan’s obsessed mind played the game of selective listening: it took in only the positive side of her view and ignored her warnings.

Raghavan prepared an album containing his photographs shot from different angles. He saw all the recent hit movies several times over and memorized the important dialogues.

Armed with this preparation he started to attack. Though he knew that without proper introductions and recommendations he could not get into the movies, he just wanted to give a try in the normal manner.

His bloated ego fooled him into an overestimation of his looks and acting skills: ‘For a handsome and talented person like me connections do not, in the least, matter.’ He went and knocked the doors of all the popular studios in the city.

He thought, one day, the producer or director would come out, hug him and take him into the magic world of films.

But all he got to meet was the watchmen who muttered obsceneties in hindi before brutally pushing him away. Raghavan vowed to dismiss all the watchmen en masse once he got in.

After two months the painful bottom line was that Raghavan could not even physically enter a studio, let alone enter the enchanting world of films. Raghavan was expecting a call from Reshma.

But she never called. He had half-mind to call her; but when he remembered the appearance of the Dada who threatened her on that day, he dropped the idea.

Raghavan and Vidya were eating out in a modest restaurant near their home.

“Hai Vidya, how are you? Is this your husband? Why didn’t you invite me for your marriage? It’s okay, dear. I envy you, guy, you almost snatched Vidya from my hands. But it’s okay.”

Raghavan simply detested the man with an unshaven face. His dress was crumpled and he had a bag about his shoulders which was as dirty as his shirt. The man simply sat in the chair near Vidya.

Raghavan did not relish this intrusion and wanted to dispose him off as
    early as possible

“Hai Mister, I am Chandar. Vidya’s cousin. Glad to meet you. I am an Assistant Director and am currently working for….”

The name that was dropped was so big to make Raghavan jump from his seat. And now the intruder’s name rang a row of bells in his heart.

He remembered Reshma saying about Chandar, the Assistant Director, who was the kingmaker.

His attitude towards the intruder changed completely. With his left hand he held Chandar’s hand and told him in a pleading voice about his vain attempts to become an actor. Vidya who knew Chandar’s character did not like Raghavan talking to him in a voice that almost begged help. She was irritated.

Chandar stood up and came right before Raghavan. He held his hands as if it were a camera and saw Raghavan from various angles.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2006
    sindmani and blessbabydust like this.

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Sridhar, as we near the end of this episode " chumma nach nu irukku" !

Dear Sridhar,
    You have introduced Chandar as Vidya's cousin, which gives a very good turn to the whole story. Now our tension is slowly starting just when perhaps Raghavan is getting a clue as to how to go about.
    I have done the " boni" this time - so the readership will touch an " all time high" - ha ha ha !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

good things come in small packages?

Dear Varalotti,

Really liked this epiosde, actually more than the earlier ones. You have provided a swift twist in enabling Raghavan to enter tinseltown through Vidya's cousin. Also liked some sentences like' selective listening'- most husbands do that.

But why such a short episode? Are you trying to prove that good things come in small packages? Like the tiniest wrapped gifts are the best, the weeniest chocolates are the most exotic?

Well then,this episode belongs there.

regards
    Vidya

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  4. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

non stop!

Dear Varalotti,

your train of thought is moving non stop.... super speed... i am really enjoying it. What raghavan had,from his point of view was certainly a tempting offer!BUt what will the price he will pay for it? Will that guy ask 'Vidhya' herself as a return favour?? no! the thought scares me! Great going....Please dont stop this train....

Purni

5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Grave forebodings..

Greed invariably leads a person to his/her downfall. Raghavan seems to be going into a pit no doubt. Is his wife Vidya the pawn he is going to play with for the want of stardom??
    This episode did take us forward, although using a 'short cut'...judging by the size of the episode!!
    Whether you believe it or not, summer and the various other reasons you have mentioned does play a big role in the activities of us women folk Sridhar. Hence don't let the numbers bog you down :)

L, Kamla

6. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

Oh my God, I can't wait....

Sridharji(I know you'll make fun of me this time too...but I am determined to address u this way!!)

This episode, like Vidya said, was short yet so entertaining...this makes an awesome movie script with a swift pace, crisp dialogues and dramatic plot. I am getting jitters, Oh God please bring next saturday closer so I know what Raghavan is upto next(though like Mrs Chitra said, this episode does get our imagination go wild with ideas!)

-Shal

7. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Boni for anything and everything

Dear Sridhar,
    The previous episode was not so interesting. But this one has given a twist with Chander being the unwelcome friend of Vidya. Now we can expect some nice twists and turns to the story.
    With warm wishes,
    varloo

Dear Chithra,
    Aravindh's neurologist is the First Asian to become a Neuro Physician as well as Neuro surgeon. Inspite of that, she is very superstitious and will get very agitated if her first consultation did not go well. She is very particular about Boni.
    With warm wishes,
    varloo

8. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Interesting episode Sridhar

Dear Sridhar,
    I see that you have added a new twist. I am glad that Reshma is out of the picture. For some reason I did not like her from the start. Let us see what Chandar has in store for us. Will he bring V&R closer or keep them apart. Until next Sat take care,
    Bye,

9. varalotti

Thanks For the Bhoni, Chitra!

Dear Chitra,
    thanks a million for the boni and a billion for the "nach" comment. Yes, the story is taking a turn now. But from now on it will be a roller coaster ride.
    thanks
    sridhar

10. varalotti

Good Things and Strong Things!

Dear Vidya,
    good things can come in big packages also. But if it is strong and potent it has to be in small doses, lest it would affect the user.
    Unlike B&B which was a much diluted drink, this one is literally on the rocks. So I am dispensing in small doses, less than 30 ml at a time. Another advantage of a small dose is that you relish every drop of it.
    "Selective Listening" and "Selective Memory" are not exclusive priviliges of the husbands. They are universally owned and practised - one area where the sex-discrimination is the least.
    and thanks a ton for comparing my story to an exotic chocolate. You know sure how to charm a writer.
    thanks, once again.
    sridhar