1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

The pressures of being Asian Indian

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by sundarib, Mar 12, 2008.

1. sundarib

sundarib New IL'ite

Dear Moderator,
    Indus Lady permitted me to start a new thread about my study.

Thanks,
    Sundari

I am a mother of 5 year old and a PhD student in Psychology. I came across this curious paradoxical situation in research studies about the Indian community in the US. Despite being well-educated and more affluent, Indians suffer from poorer health outcomes. For instance the first link below, says Indian women born in US have poorer birth outcomes than Mexican women. The second refers to cardiovascular disease.

Daughters of Asian-Indian immigrants tend to give birth to smaller babies
    American Journal of Hypertension - Abstract of article: G018: Cardiovascular morbidity and mortality in White versus Asian indian hypertensives- A 10 year follow-up study

If it is not income or education, could poor health outcomes be caused by social pressure to be high achieving and successful?

As a mom and someone aspiring to have a successful career, I have always wondered if the pressure on Indian women with kids could be even greater. My research survey of Indian working/professionally engaged mothers tries to find some answers...Please see link below to share your experiences.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=Xd8Ocrrt6LWFg8QvuMRxxA_3d_3d

Thanks,
    Sundari

2. eternalbliss

eternalbliss New IL'ite

Thanks for the post.
    Does this apply to only full time working moms or to other moms as well?
    Assuming that the parameters are different for everyone,I would think the other stay at home/part-time working moms would have an equally hectic lifestyle.
    The survey requires certain amount of work hours to be put in to be eligible.

3. sundarib

sundarib New IL'ite

Thanks for the query. I agree with you. At this point we are looking at women employed/professional engaged over 25 hours/week and have children.

Sundari

4. tweetyme

tweetyme New IL'ite

Hi Sundari, I am looking at doctrol programs in Psychology in states and have few queries. I tried to send a private message but am I couldn't. Please mail me your ID so that I can get in touch with you. Thanks!