1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Power of Time

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

kaniths
    You have poured molten lead in my sensitive ears with 'Machi! Figure gone...' Dating in our days comprised of singing songs in Ahir Bairav and when it came to parting, we sang a song in Shivaranjini or Subapanthuvarali. If we were sad and the girl had some knowledge of music, we might preface the song with a bit of Alapana.
    Machi! Figure gone and Beer? Some high tech romance indeed!
    Sri

3 people like this.
  2. Cheeniya

My dear Viswa
    Like in all my earlier posts, this too has strayed a lot from its original moorings. I do hope you will come back again with your responses to various other aspects raised subsequently. Incidentally, that time of power has been set right in your FB. Why do you worry when I am the Moderator?

My club rendezvous are not what they used to be. Health topics are taking a toll of our light-hearted banter. There was some talk about a few doctors engineering such get-together of hypochondriacs knowing that the more we discussed our ailments, the surer was the possibility of our becoming their clients. I further hear that some drug manufacturing companies collude with the Doctors and meet our club expenses!

Al Quida, Taliban and ISIS? That is a very unfair description of our group when we think twice before killing even a mosquito! We have even discussed the human tendency of delivering capital punishment to a mosquito even for a minor offence of disturbing our sleep. And you are comparing us with Jihadi John! Soul's revisit relates to another birth and totally new people whereas Yayati wanted to perpetuate his luscious contacts of the same birth! He went on and on for a thousand years with his son's youth before wisdom dawned on him.

Time heals suffering in the sense that it is the efflux of time that triggers forgetfulness. It is a manifestation of time. When I see old people suffering from dementia and such mind debilitating ailments, I feel it is a blessing in disguise. Some people would be too scared to die.
    Sri

2 people like this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Who is the winner of the contest describing the conversation between R and E?

Options are

a) A, b) C and c) K

The winner is ...........................................?????????

I will give a clue. It is not someone who lives in C and it is not the one who lives in T either.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Aria,

Look who is talking! We all consider ourselves lucky if we get a visit from you once in a while just to get a feedback, leave alone posting anything. If Cheeniya Sir's post are considered as Lunar eclipse, your feedbacks are like meteor shower. Whatever excitement Sabitha feels after seeing a meteor shower is what I feel when I see your responses. But I have to give you credit for showering your responses on "The Power of Time" post to compensate for lack of your time so that we all can be busy reading your responses until we see the next meteor shower.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  5. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

I think its because your feedbacks are in snippet lengths themselves & each seems like they are one too! So its natural we are distracted here & there.... You have no idea what it takes to cross them all & reach the original post! Am not there yet & 'Phew' already.....! The bottom up approach didn't work for me either, the last time I got carried away & posted a feedback, only you moving it around for being irrelevant!! So yeah I fear a little bit when..........!!

:p

1 person likes this.
  6. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa Sir....

Did the C option person from the D place win? ;-) :p

But doesn't the feedbacks reflect the generation gaps? No wonder I imagined the yester tamil superstar Bagavathar singing when Cheeniya sir said this.....

:rotfl :p

1 person likes this.
  7. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya Sir,
    There have been many intellectual views on the'power of Time'.Aria's gun shots Viswa's flowings and other superb responses.I started reading your snippet late as I am busy looking after my grandson aged three, as her mother is busy on her rehearsals with Kalakshetra performance.One of the games I played with him is'snake and ladder;In Hindu mythology snake represents 'kala' or time and Vishnu is relaxing on Anantha, the infinity.
    Actually I was thinking about this on 22nd when about 600 staff members of our bank assembled in P. S. Higher Secondary School stadium for a get together.We were dragged to good old days of 1964-65 when we were freshers in the bank. Time has passed. Many of us are septuagenarians and some are in 90s.A few have left for heavenly abode.As we were reflecting on our experiences, 5hrs went off in a minute.

Time is not a concept that we invented – time is deep-rooted in the system, in the very way we are made. When we go into Mahabharat, there is so much talk about the yugas and how they function. Time is not something that someone thought up – this is a phenomenal and profound science. Yoga has always been deeply involved with this. It is just that we don’t believe in propounding theories about it. By practice, we try to attune the body to the times and spaces of creation, because without being in tune with them, you do not get very far.

But scientists hold a different view.

As you read this sentence, you probably think that this moment—right now—is what is happening. The present moment feels special. It is real. However much you may remember the past or anticipate the future, you live in the present. Of course, the moment during which you read that sentence is no longer happening. In other words, it feels as though time flows, in the sense that the present is constantly updating itself. We have a deep intuition that the future is open until it becomes present and that the past is fixed. As time flows, this structure of fixed past, immediate present and open future gets carried forward in time. This structure is built into our language, thought and behavior. How we live our lives hangs on it.

Yet as natural as this way of thinking is, you will not find it reflected in science. The equations of physics do not tell us which events are occurring right now—they are like a map without the “you are here” symbol. The present moment does not exist in them, and therefore neither does the flow of time. Additionally, Albert Einstein’s theories of relativity suggest not only that there is no single special present but also that all moments are equally real . Fundamentally, the future is no more open than the past.
    Whenever undesirable atrocities are committed,Children behave in the strangest way,unbelievable incidents happen very often, automatically our lips murmur " Kaalam Kali Kaalam.These things have already been predicted in Shrimat Bhagavatham" and so on.

Much has been said in the responses about the linear and circular time scales.Our yuga theory is a concrete example.I have written a detailed snippet'Are we living in Kaliyuga?" last year.
    Are we living in kaliyuga

The concept of time cane be analysed in various angles-mythological,philosophical, astronomical and social.
    As per Karma theory each human being is destined to have so many breaths and it is not so many years.Yogic experts say that definitely we can increase life expectancy by control of breath
    If you are healthy, you take about 15 breaths per minute. If you have done lots of sadhana, it could be only 12. 15 breaths per minute means 900 breaths per hour and 21,600 per day. As you decrease the number of breaths per minute,you can increase the life expectancy by nearly 20%.
    There is 'good time and bad time concept'The same time is good if one misses the train on the day of Train accident, and the same may be very bad for those who lose their precious lives in the incident.
    Even great astronomer/mathematician like Bhaskaracharya became victim to the power of'Time'. As an astronomer he knew that his daughter would be widowed.By doing some complex calculations he fixed a particular timing for her marraige. According to his calculations, if the marriage was performed during that particular time the bride groom would live long.All arrangements were made and the marriage was conducted in the exact muhurtham specified by the father mathematicaian /astronomer.As ill luck would have it, the bridegroom passed away within a few days?

What happened to the auspicious time? Did the expert go wrong in his calculations? It is no probability that he would be careless ,in his daughter's case.
    Now he started analysing.In those days there were no clocks. Time was calculated by keeping one pot below the other.The upper part contained holes,just like coffee filter and filled with sand.The lower part was a graduated one.Time was calculated taking into account the volume of water collected in the lower jar.It was learnt later that Lilavathi, the young daughter to be married had looked into the jar and accidentally the gem in her nose stud had fallen into the upper jar obstructing one of the holes,.As a result the flow became slow.When the exact volume of water as calculated by Bhaskaracharya was collected inthe lower vessel, the auspicious time had aleady passed.
    With all the calculations 'destiny did not allow Bhaskaracharya to conduct his daughter's marriage in time.
    When a flying bird sees a man it may think that human beings are dead slow.
    Now a days we have started telling the distance by 'Time'. Real estate people advertise the flat venue to be 10mts from the station.It may be one km or even 10km depending on whether you walk or drive.
    The 'Time' is a vast topic that is continued to be discussed by scientists in varioua angles and no conclusion is reached.We are all normal human beings.
    Better let us have our own simple concept of 'time', to do everything in time, give timely help, seek/give timely advice and take timely action.The rest lies in His hands.

Jayasala 42

[TABLE="class: yiv5287200193, width: 450"]
    [TR]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 1, bgcolor: #e5e5e5"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 2"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

3 people like this.
  8. Cheeniya

Dear Akanksha
    I have also heard that the sounds never die and our Rishis could capture them with their special powers and give them as vital mantras to us for our well being. This cannot be ridiculed away when the modern technology helps us to store huge amounts of data for posterity. The revolving Kalchakra and the accompanying voice of Harish will forever be etched in our minds.

Dying young and getting a fresh start does not guarantee a higher existence than what we are going through in this birth. That depends on the Karmic Cycle. Suppose we are born as rag pickers in the next birth, dying young now is not only meaningless but a big waste! So besides dying young, we need to ensure that our actions remain above par so that we carry on from where we leave now intellectually.

In the Book by Emily Hudson, Dhritarashtra laments thus: 'Sanjaya! I do not remember committing bad acts in the past, the fruits of which I am experiencing here and now, fool that I am. But, certainly, I did some wicked things in the previous births, as a result of which the ordainer has made me act in ways that lead to suffering'
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  9. Sun18

Sun18 Gold IL'ite

I can only watch the most knowledgeable people converse about the power of time.

I really admire all of your english, vast knowledge about the things related to the post and the way you people'd expressed.

kneesmiley :hatsoff

It makes me wanting so badly to learn more of English and reading so much of books, digest and expressing it in a beautiful way.

Thanks to all of you for that.

1 person likes this.
  10. Cheeniya

My dear Viswa
    Let me deal with this subject without going into the scriptural nuances. Human beings question about the rationale behind the Karmic Cycle because the operation of the cycle is shrouded in mystery. We are not given a chance to know why we undergo certain hardship in this life particularly when it is reported to be on account of the sins of the past births. We cry foul!

I just saw a news item that a rhino is poached in South Africa once in every 13 hours. In India too, elephants are slaughtered mercilessly for extracting the tuskers. Do these hapless animals know why they are being slaughtered like this? We, the humans, play the overlord and indulge in such acts without feeling any pity. If you ask a poacher why he is slaughtering the elephant and for what sin it has committed, the poacher will tell you contemptuously that the sin it has committed was to have been born with a tusk!

Nemesis finally catches up! When humans suffer in this birth for something committed in the past birth, we cry hoarse that it is unfair to subject us to any misery without keeping us informed of the reason. In thinking that there is no cause for our suffering in this birth, we are like the poached rhinos and elephants. Humans too have to be in the dark as regards the fate they suffer. Karmic cycle ensures that we are not given any privileged treatment as compared to the lesser beings. Like them we too grope in the dark about our fate.

Blessed are those who understand the Karmic Cycle and regulate their lives and actions in accordance with the Divine Law that is common for all living beings.
    Sri

1 person likes this.