1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Power of Time

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The Power of Time

When my friends rang me up and reminded me that a visit to the club was long overdue, I did not respond as enthusiastically as I would have done some three decades back. I am a septuagenarian and the most sought after role model for the medical profession. I have a bit of every conceivable ailment, the latest being neuropathy that is causing an uncomfortable numbness in my legs. You know what I mean; the kind of feeling that you are using someone else’s legs for moving around! The worst thing that makes me avoid a visit to the club is the prospect of some 50 year old lady bending with great difficulty and touching my feet when I can’t even feel anything in my feet! So I tried to wriggle out of this invite from old friends but they were insistent that my presence was essential. Since I have given up driving as I can’t make out if my foot is on the accelerator or the brake, I hailed the popular Ola Taxi and reached my Club. We were about 8 of us and most of us sported a flowing white beard making our gathering appear like a meeting of distinguished religious leaders!

After the initial exchange of pleasantries, our meeting slowly got transformed into a geriatric conference. We compared our aches and pains, sprains and immobility of limbs, indigestion and constipation. We expressed our sympathy for Big B in the movie ‘Piku’ and a friend wryly remarked that Big B became motionless in the movie after the most satisfying motion of his life! All of us were of the unanimous view that old age had a lot of nuisance value. Someone mentioned that scientific research was in an advanced stage to restore youthful vitality to the likes of us with some elixir or whatever such things were called. By the time it comes to the market, we won’t be in a position even to swallow them, someone added. What we need is not any such elixir but a son like Puru, another friend suggested and went on to narrate the story of Yayati and how his son Puru swapped his youth with his old father so that the old man could continue to indulge in worldly pleasures for a thousand years. As if on a cue, another friend remarked that a thousand years was like a speck of dust considering that the age of the Universe was over 8 billion years!

I was indeed amazed. It was not as if I was hearing of the age of the Universe for the first time but that being expressed in conjunction with our life span was new. I started calculating my 70 odd years as a fraction of the age of the Universe and only ended up in tying my brain into some irreversible knots. If seventy odd years could transform me from a bonny baby to a wrinkled old man, how was it that the Universe could run through 8 billion years and still look fresh and growing, I thought. May be I thought aloud. A retired IIT Professor who was part of our motley group volunteered an explanation that confounded me more than before he opened his mouth. My dear Sir, he said, we measure our life time on a linear scale but the time span of the Universe is on a cyclical scale. If you expected our look of consternation would dampen his enthusiasm to continue with his lecture, you are sadly mistaken. He went on and on.

As I sat there listening to him, my mind tried to gather the essence of time in this timeless cosmos. Our mind is deeply grooved in linear time while people with a greater perspective of time talk of cyclical time. We seek to make much of the difference where there is none. I suddenly became aware of the Professor waving a book at my face. It was titled Disorienting Dharma- Ethics and Aesthetics of Suffering in the Mahabharatha by Emily T.Hudson. ‘You guys must read this book to understand the role of time in our lives’, he said. I grabbed it from him and browsed through it. My eyes got riveted on one sentence: ‘If one undergoes a radical orientation to the world based on an enlightened acceptance and acknowledgement of time’s power, then one can psychologically move beyond time and hence, beyond suffering’

Radical orientation based on an enlightened acceptance of time’s power? It was simply fascinating. I realized that I could pass my own difficult days without much hassle riding on the premise of time’s power. How many times have I told myself that time healed everything? It was such a soothing feeling! My mum would talk about it often. She would tell us that time would bring about a lot of changes, some to our liking and some to our dismay. She would tell us to accept both with equanimity if we wished to live in peace with ourselves. Aesthetics of suffering simplified for you!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    16 people like this.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

:-D For a change after a long time, I am reading something from you as soon as you posted it! Yes, time as in the linear sense.

BH's colleague who is an orthopedic surgeon (taking care of the knees) always tells us, 'don't bother, it will go away'. He is a firm believer in 'leave well alone', the definition of 'well' of course being very subjective. It amuses me no end - 'don't bother it will go away'. Of course it will, it will go with us and we will turn up again like rotten eggs but with brand new bodies which are healthy and young! Yes, time is cyclical, pains are cyclical and life itself is cyclical. That is the power of time.

1 person likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

My dear Satchi
    The 'Iyerviji' in the making! Thank you for your first response to my new Ramble.
    'Don't bother, it will go away' is the same as Bobby Mcferrin's song "Don't worry, be happy'. Both are uttered to lessen our trouble. When such positive words are spoken, we endeavour to smile and that smile takes the sting out of our trouble. But I do concede that the longer is the period of suffering, the greater are the chances of a person turning cynical and saying, 'Yeah, yeah it will go away, with me of course!'

I found another fascinating passage in the book that I have quoted and this is attributed to Sanjaya: 'Time ripens the creatures and time rots them. Time again extinguishes the time that burns the creatures. Time alters all beings in the world, virtuous or not. Time destroys them and creates them. Time moves in all creatures, unchecked and impartial. Those beings who were in the past and those beings yet to come and those that exist now they are all fashioned by time. Knowing the changes brought about by time, do not allow your mind to grieve'
    Sri

3 people like this.
  4. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya Sir,
    I thoroughly enjoyed reading your snippet. The other day, I was reading somewhere that your children will only have 18 summers to spend with you and initially that made me more depressing/anxious as the time frame was short but then I was realised that no time is better than the PRESENT. My dad and mom always said the same thing as your parents and I never remembered they were talking that time is flying and so on as I do nowadays. I believe my parents generation had the peace to live in the present and I am trying my hardest too

Many thanks,
    Vani

5. Cheeniya

Dear Vani
    Thank you for your early visit to my ramble! I am hearing of this children living with the parents for only 18 summers for the first time. So out of curiosity I googled for it and found over sixteen million sites on the subject! Can there be better proof for my colossal ignorance than this? Time has no wings to fly. It is our perception that it seems like flying at times when we long for time to hasten slowly! Time has been passing at a constant pace since the Big Bang and even God had no power to interfere with its march.

In order to help Arjuna fulfil his vow of killing Jayadrada before sunset, Krishna hid the Sun with His Chakra making it appear as though it had set. The jubilant Jayadrada thinking that the battle had ended for the day, put down his weapons and the ring of Kings protecting him dispersed. At the moment, Krishna withdrew His Chakra and made the day light appear again. Arjuna instantly killed Jayadrada.

No time is indeed better than the present. Listen to Jiddu Krishnamurthy:
    'We think that changes in ourselves can come about in time, that order in ourselves can be built up little by little, added to day by day. But time doesn't bring order or peace, so we must stop thinking in terms of gradualness. This means that there is no tomorrow for us to be peaceful in. We have to be orderly on the instant.'
    Sri

2 people like this.
  6. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,

Like Satsa, I'm elated to make it to the first page of your column.
    Before I'm outrun by a inquisitive passerby attracted to your drollish virtual handle and looking up septuagenarian in dictionary, I better hurry with my FB.

I'm curious about your club. One moment it sounds like somber "Diogenes Club" that Sherlock Holmes patronizes whereby it is transformed into frisky "Drones Club" of Bertie. On reading milky and flowing beards, I conjure up the image of legendary "Druids Club" of Celts thumping around sarsens with strange incantations " #...neuropathy , neuropathy #"

Time and the power of time! I remember watching a documentary few months ago on quantum physics in which the host teased at the closing credits that if a viewer understood everything discussed in the show then he/she is long way to understand anything because the incontestable and founded premise for such a protean topic is that we cannot understand anything. Similarly linear time, folded time, trochal time, no matter what form and shape time takes, only thing I'm interested is what scheduled time does Cheeniya post his next article? I hinted him that fridays are good for new releases, I did make a passing comment that sundays are good for panel shows, what part of that weekly pattern does he not get that he makes restless soul like me WAIT FOR A MONTH for next instalment. I'm glad that he is not a serial-story writer, my brain will explode at the suspense unable to forbear his sluggish pace.

I want to remark on this contentious word. Cheeniya, do you remember those posts of LakshmiNarayan about a retirement home in Ooty, Kodaikanal , nestled in some provincial tranquility. I made few discreet inquiries to check the age of admission in similar establishments. Usually it is 55+ and under exceptional conditions it may be reduced to 50 (guess that includes donating a park or garden in the purlieu). I'd love to check myself into a retirement home if someone is willing to accept me. I'm too lazy to take care of myself and as long as anyone willingly or wontedly bathes and feeds me (smacking my palms), I'd love to feign infirm to join. Now I'm worried that your agility for a septuagenarian may revise some of the rules on admission and the minimum age may be increased to 75. If Cheeniya with his lone finger can duke a post , draw attention, and manage to grasp the power of time as a septuagenarian then may be the embodiment of youth is a skittish paramour who seduces for extended courtship and consummates only in death.

4 people like this.
  7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Anna

Though you are having health problems but still you are so active and give us food for thought. I am posting below a snippet I had posted , you must have read it , I dont know whether it is apt to this subject, but thought of sharing that here

[h=2][​IMG] “Age isn't how old you are but how old you feel.” ― Gabriel Garcí*a Márquez, Memorie[/h]

.“There is a fountain of youth: it is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of people you love. When you learn to tap this source, you will truly have defeated age.”
    Sophia Lore

Age no bar for anything as long as you are young in heart. Sometimes I cannot believe that I am 71 years old and how these years passed because I still feel I am young and do somethings also which young people do. Even today I like to enjoy life, go places, visit people , enjoy with each and everyone and do whatever they do . At this age also I am very fond of Chocolates and Ice cream and enjoy having it like a small child. This brings me memories of my office days when we used to go out to Restaurants with my friends and enjoy lunch there and finally have Ice cream but from outside because int eh Hotel it will be costly. Me and another friend of mine in summer after lunch we used to come outside either to have Cone Icecream or Butter milk which used to be so thick and yummy

I always wait to visit my daughter in Dubai because there I enjoy the most . They have a car so like going in that , that also I sit in the front seat because of my leg problem and my grand daughter envies me because I sit near her papa. My son in law knows that I enjoy going out , so waits for the opportunity to take me out and also have dinner out and if we are not able to have dinner out while we go out he [COLOR=#009900 !important]buys
    some snacks , Juice or Icecream because I love that. That time I am like a small child and they grown up. Whenever they come to India they bring me chocolates , the ones in which Badam is inside.

Yesterday my son came from Dubai and he and my dil took us out for dinner. Enjoyed the dinner with them and then my dil asked whether I would like to have Icecream. Tasted different icecreams to see which is nice and finally had Chocolate crunch which I enjoyed. My son also brought lot of chocolates . So now everyday I can have chocolates .

Age no bar for learning also. On line we get to know so many things especially in IL reading everyone's posts in my favourite snippets forum, though I cant write like others. But each one of us havea style of writing .

Now also I want to be the best in everything whether it is dressing, writing , takingpart in any contest etc.

[/COLOR]
    WHEN you are old and grey and full of sleep,
    And nodding by the fire, take down this book,
    And slowly read, and dream of the soft look
    Your eyes had once, and of their shadows deep;

How many loved your moments of glad grace,
    And loved your beauty with love false or true,
    But one man loved the pilgrim soul in you,
    And loved the sorrows of your [COLOR=#009900 !important]changing face
    ;

And bending down beside the glowing [COLOR=#009900 !important]bars[/COLOR],
    Murmur, a little sadly, how Love fled
    And paced upon the mountains overhead
    And hid his face amid a crowd of stars.”
    W.B. Yeats
    [/COLOR]

If you feel that this feedback is not apt to your subject please delete it

2 people like this.
  8. Cheeniya

Dear Aria
    At the mention of 'Diogenes Club' as the one that Sherlock Holmes frequents, my excitement soared sky-high! Diogenes is my all-time favourite cynic. See how he looks:
    [​IMG]
    He carried that lamp in broad daylight in his cynical search for an honest man. His favourite quote:
    "I am Diogenes the Dog. I nuzzle the kind, bark at the greedy and bite scoundrels."
    Never knew that Sherlock Holmes frequented the club bearing the great man's name. I must start reading all his stories. He writes crime thrillers, doesn't he?:biggrin2:

The Drones is a second home to me. I have witnessed British aristocrats in pecuniary difficulties trying to touch Oofy Prosser in that Club. They never knew that King George in Oofy's wallet always blinked at the glare of sunlight whenever Oofy opened his wallet!

Druids Club sounds interesting too. Do you think I'll make a good member there or will I be black-balled merely because I have a couple of dark hairs streaking through my white beard?

That documentary that you are talking about reminds me of the Zen saying 'If you meet Buddha on the road, kill him'! This simply implies that we must kill the temptation of simply following another's path, no matter how beautiful it may be. It is like Oscar Wilde saying 'Be yourself; everyone else is already taken'!

Septuagenarian means someone in his 70's? Goodness gracious! I thought it was someone who was prone to suffer sepsis at the drop of a hat! Will be careful when I have to use the word again!
    Sri

2 people like this.
  9. Cheeniya

My dear Viji
    This FB of yours certainly matches the mood of my rambling. Have no doubt about it.
    But that Sophia Lore's quote is not the prescription for what you enjoy doing. Your eating in hotels, consuming ice creams all the time and riding in cars seated in front seats are all the kind of stuff that people like Whoopi Goldberg of The Sister Act fame enjoy doing. Sophia Lore talks about youthful creativity in ageing minds and making use of it in enriching the lives of others.

Having said that, I love your childlike approach to life. That's what endears you to others. Keep that childlike nature tight with you and enjoy all the love that people shower on you!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  10. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

Depends on the adaptation of SH you want to to amused with. Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock with his forelock and heterochromic eyes (blue + green) wrings hearts. Robert Dowey Jr as Sherlock, upstaged by charismatic Judd Law, wimpers most of the time. Yes, heard the original Sherlock created by someone called Arthur Conan Doyle is a crime thriller.

The quaint British clubs and their eccentric habitués. I've have a feeling that the comical representation in Wodehousian books filters the quiddity of rosbif for general consumption. The Edwardian publicans would have had more uncensored sordid and rude tales to recount for a publisher today. I've not read many Jeeves books but watched the televised series starring Hugh Laurie as Bertie Wooster and Stephen Fry as Jeeves. I missed Oofy!

Hmm, have to estimate your skills. Is there something up your blanched beard that pledges your kinship to this corybantic tribe and their saltations on vernal equinox? I mean can pose for more than 20 minutes with aloft arms, forward neck and incant in praise of sun god without wiping that trickle of unnavigable sweat making its way to tickle your nose?

An adventurous word hunter may stumble on Gaelic "sept" and mistake you for republican army spook. Be careful!

P.S: Thank for the Diogenes image. My image of him is far-cry from his hunched image in popular art.