1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The poison tree called sibling rivalry

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Sri,

I am back here. with a situation from my own home. Friday was too testing on my nerves. DD got a trophy for the maths olympiad, and has got selected for a second round of the science olympiad (state). and son lost his position.

Evening he was crying. and my daughter was really irritated, mom, no body is happy about my achievements... ofcourse i pacified both. i asked my son if you are not feeling bad because she got a prize. he told me categorrically that he is not feeling bad for that but was feeling terrible that he did not get it.

Though i convinced him to try and try again he will also get..he is not convinced. and my daughter though tell her i am happy for you..sh e is not convinced..

Though I say all this i feel confused if i am going in the right track....
    how do i tackle this problem.

(It is perennial...if one gets a medal the other does not ....it is more like murphy's law..playing havoc at my parenting....)

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shanthi
    You are fortunate that both your children are capable of winning laurels in academic pursuits. If the daughter wins a recognition now, it will be the son's turn next time. In the kind of situation that you have narrated, the experts say that the parents should stay away from the conflict and let it grow into a healthy rivalry. It is possible that you are sympathising with your son fairly openly thus making your daughter feel that she is not getting the appreciation that she deserves. Children are very sensitive. While we may swear that we are absolutely impartial in handling our children, they can still feel a wee little difference!
    Sri

3. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri
    :clap for your reply to Shanthi.. Its true that children are sensitive and while we sympathise with one child the other might feel he or she is left out and not being recognised enough. Could be they are closer in age and so more competetive and also like you say both children here are very intelligent.. The parents work seem to be cut out in trying to balance and juggle work , family, kids, relatives, and maybe husbands (?) too..

4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Oh AC,
    Shocking is a mild word !Rant
    Balance husbands? I think you should use singular here ???
    Balancing kids & in the same line, you write balancing husbands !!
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,

Thanks for the en lighting reply. I avoid discussing with both at the same time. I usually try to avoid the conflict. Being 3 years apart, they are always having a healthy competition with each other and others.

DD has been the center and apple of the eyes of the grandparents...DS had to always force/demand for attention from grandparents..So he is a little sensitive.

Both of us try to erase that feeling but it still crops with FIL still doing that, differentiation...

I think that is the root cause of this..

I will henceforth have to learn to be more careful. thanks once again...

6. Anandchitra

Dear Sri
    That was definetly a slip of tonguuee..you know me ..you will agree with me when i sy slip of tungu:thumbsup
    Trust people to catch an err instead of appreciating all the "nice" points i make !!

7. Anandchitra

Dear Sri
    After careful consideration, I :eek have to come to the conclusion:idea (dare I say) that fault lies with GRANDPARENTS Only.. Ofcourse I have used 2 for my observation and study that being Sri and his friend Chithra... so all other grandparents (except my son's :wink: ) are exempt from this observation..and conclusion thereof..:tongue

8. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear AC,
    I just want to put on record that both "Sri and his friend Chithra... " are
    doting grandparents
    as well as
    doted grandparents !
    Your statement
    fault lies with GRANDPARENTS Only
    can never be forgiven ! Unless the children are lucky, they will not get such
    indulgent but non-spoiling
    helping but non-interfering
    GPs. You can send mails to Thanu or Kavya for credentials !
    No love,
    Chithra.

9. Cheeniya

Dear Chithra
    You must be either a retired P&P headmistress of a very strict girls' school or the President of a Fautfinding Mothers in law Association to pick out an unintended error like that and make an issue out of it!
    Sri

10. Cheeniya

Dear Shanthi
    You have an irrefutable point there! Being a grandfather of two granddaughters and a grandson, I can vouch that grandparents tend to be fonder of their granddaughters than grandsons. The reason could be that boys being boys spend more time outside with their friends and because of this, grandparents spend more time with their granddaughters. Over a period of time, a stronger bond develops between the grandfathers and their granddaughters!
    Sri