1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The poison tree called sibling rivalry

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear AC
    I am just keen that the parents of multiple children, their mothers in paricular, should be made aware of the perils of sibling rivalry. Most of us tend to dismiss it as a process of growing and with the eflux of time, the rivalry will disappear. But it does not happen that way! Even Siva and Parvathi had this problem on hand! Remember how Muruga came to occupy the Pazhani Hill as an 'Andi'? That was sibling rivalry of the highest order!
    Sri

2. Cheeniya

Dear Sri
    The Father of Our Nation, Mahatma Gandhi, could inspire millions to emulate his example and become true Gandhians but his own sons did not fall into that category because of his neglect of them. He was so pre-occupied with his public life, he could not give time for his own family.
    Have you read "MOHANDAS" by Rajmohan Gandhi (Gandhi’s grandson)? That book gives us a glimpse into Gandhi's relationship with his own family. The book eulogises how Gandhi became the Father of the Nation. Unfortunately as a head of his own family, he was a failure. His treatment of his wife was shabby in the earlier years of marriage and he failed to meet the educational and emotional needs of his children.
    It is a great irony that the man who rose to become the Father of his Nation could not become an ideal father for his own children.
    This clearly demonstrates the need for every parent to devote time for his children however busy he may be. If the parents fail to do that, they will have to take the blame for the children's failings!
    Sri

3. Cheeniya

Dear Rajmi
    You have really quoted a classic example. Thankfully the daughter is skilled in her own way but continuous adoration of the son may affect the girl from developing her skills further. I have noticed the unfair comparisons taking their toll on the less favoured children. By the time the parents realise their folly, it becomes too late for any remedial action.
    The sibling rivalry in many cases is due to such comparisons. Sibling rivalry arising out of inherent character aberrations will be negligible as compared to parents' actions whipping up such feelings. These actions may not be deliberate but still they have a disastrous effect. Parents must introspect on this particular aspect periodically to take corrective action if and when necessary
    Sri

4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri
    Your last few lines in this above quote reflects what I did mention earlier..Its parents responsibility and more of the mother. And it is a full time job. With all the education and exposure our young women are receiving in todays world, you would think of the incredible job they could do if they chose to raise their children.?!

5. mkthpavi

mkthpavi Senior IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,

Thank you for a very wonderful post. I am moved very much by it. I myself have been part of 'sibling' rivalry...though rivalry is not the right word to express the events in my life. Perhaps, this reply of mine will be a confession of sorts. I have a younger brother and I love him very much. This love sometimes turns into 'bossiness' and my parents tend to believe that as I am elder (and I am their daughter... :)), I am more mature. I dont know how many occasions, I may have actually hurt my brother's sentiments directly or indirectly by somehow dominating the situation. I wish him ONLY the best, but sometimes I dont come across so :( :(

But having said all these, I must also mention that my brother has become more mature, calmer, emotionally more balanced, deep thinker, more adaptive to surroundings and has a wider friends' circle than me. He has also evolved into a simple happy person, who 'lightens the atmosphere' rather than me, who is considered a 'serious type and frank talker' :) I am very happy for him and we now share a much mature relationship than before. Thankfully, it has not taken any negative turns like those mentioned in your posts. I am now more careful in what I say or expect, as I love and respect my brother too much.

Cheers
    Pavithra

6. Cheeniya

Dear AC
    Of all acts of juggling, juggling with time is the most difficult. Time management is a very complicated subject. A professional woman would certainly have difficulty juggling her time between her profession and family. But one thing is very certain. We always tend to give more time for things towards which we have greater inclination. I have also noticed one thing. A woman gives more time for her family if she is professionally not in a very high position. People who occupy very high positions in their profession will not be in a position to give much time for the family. We must ask someone like Indra Nooyi for authentic info on this aspect!
    Sri

7. Cheeniya

Dear Pavithra
    Your candid confession is quite heart warming. I can see the intense love you have for your sibling. I agree with you that a protective elder sister tends to become quite bossy and this in turn breeds rivalry of a different kind. I am happy that it has not developed a complex in him. His evolution as a mature extrovert must have been catalysed by your protective attitude towards him.

I think that the credit should go to both of you for this happy turn. You must have possibly loosened your protective shield slowly to help him blossom into an individual independent of your own traits. He probably understood the genuine reason for your protective attitude towards him. Your relationship with your brother is a beautiful example of channelising the sibling rivalry to produce an emotionally symbiotic bond!
    Sri

8. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri
    I have read somewhere that Indra Nooyi had her kid (only) at her office on most evenings when the kid was growing up.. Also there is her all important husband. One of these things about successful public figure women is that their better half is very supportive. As in all successful teams the task need to be equally divided or more or less based on convenience..What do you think? or do you think I should stop rambling here now :thumbsup

9. Cheeniya

Dear AC
    If you stop rambling, I'll quit writing!
    No one can have a different opinion about the need to play a supportive role, be it the husband or wife depending upon who gets busier of the two. The 'Abhiman' kind of complexes will not be good for any family.
    Sri

10. mkthpavi

mkthpavi Senior IL'ite

Thanks for the lovely words sir :)
    please keep your lively posts coming..

cheers
    pavithra