1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Poison Tree! (Apology to William Blake)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Chitvish, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Beware, the green-eyed monster!! It is much more poisonous than the venomous cobra or the predatory lion!! It destroys relationships, cracks friendships and in simple words, plays havoc with our lives. It is also one of the Cardinal sins, though more fatal than greed.
    Envy and jealousy, though synonyms, are slightly different in meaning. Envy is the desire for something that someone else has, or a feeling of ill will over another person's advantages in general. Jealousy is a suspicion that what should have rightfully belonged to you, is another person’s now.
    I will be frank, now. A very little amount of jealousy is healthy and perhaps even welcome for self-improvement. That motivates us to achieve our goal, if the rivalry is healthy. We need that to outshine our competitors. But if it becomes an all-consuming passion, envy creeps in! It is the channel of our negative thoughts and assumes alarming proportions in the blink of an eye!
    Our thought process becomes sick, causing us to lose our peace of mind, over time. At one stage, to our own shock, we secretly rejoice over others’ pains than gains. Unknowingly, our ego gets bloated resulting in decreasing peace of mind.
    At this stage, a little rational thinking will help us from sinking. If God has deprived us of something, He must have endowed us with something else. How can He discriminate among His own children? We have to develop the attitude of improving whatever God has gifted us wih instead of comparing ourselves with others. It is natural for one to feel that grass is greener on the other side. It is never so in life.
    For our own improvement, we must occupy ourselves constructively. Jealousy breeds when our focus is on our shortcomings. If we take an objective perspective on the situation, we will realize where our thinking has erred. Very often it is a reflection of our own insecure feelings rather than the actions of others. We must build up self confidence and not allow it to damage relationships.
    We must remember, we are unique and comparison with others is not worth it. Identifying our talents and making the best use of them helps us move forward. It is in our hands, not to make jealousy a disease but a healthy condition.
    I love best the quote;
    Jealousy is the tribute which mediocrity pays to a genius!

Love,
    Chithra.

sindmani likes this.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Chithmam,

The green eyed monster
    has killed many beautiful friendships. a very friendly neighbour becomes a arch rival due to the very same jealousy. (isn't this the reason that the tag line the owner's pride, neighbour's envy got so much importance )

Envy is fine, and jealousy is not according to me. as jealousy does not allow you to move forward or march to your goal, it eats your thoughts to find reasons to pick at the person you are jealous of.

inspite of repeating myself, I would quote this.

( O, beware, my lord, of jealousy;It is the green-eyed monster which doth mock,The meat it feeds on; that cuckold lives in bliss - In Othello)
    Wonderful blog mam

3. Chitvish

Shan, thanks for 'opening' my FB....
    account! However much we deny accepting it, these are part and parcel of our basic(base as well) emotions!
    As I wrote in one of my recent blogs, we have to consciously develop the habit of overcoming it!
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. Meenupanicker

Meenupanicker Senior IL'ite

Dear Chithra mam
    Its true jealousy is the insecurity feeling with in us and also based on short comings.The thing is we are not prepared or matured to wait till God awards us with most deserving gifts.We fill our mind with negatives,cannot hide it ,reflect it in releationship and result is total confusion and loss of peace for us .
    Thanks for your thoughtful blog

with regards
    Meenu

5. Chitvish

Yes, Meenu!.....
    A tinge of jealousy of one or other, is a part and parcel ofmost of us. We will deny it on 'face value', but if we analyse ourselves deeply, we cannot but accept it!
    Let us console ourselves thus - we are, after all, human!
    Thanks & love,
    Chithra.

6. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Mami,

You are right..jealousy is a basic human trait but how we deal with the same is the crux of the matter. Jealousy can kill us or take us to greater heights...it all depends on the individuals.

It is a slow poison and needs to nip it in the bud. Great blog mami...

sindmani likes this.
  7. Chitvish

Lali, very often it....
    kills us! Raising our self-esteem is perhaps one way to come out of it??
    Love,
    Chithra.

sindmani likes this.
  8. feduptocore

feduptocore Senior IL'ite

Dear Chitra...
    As usual thought provoking.. wait for your valuable thoughts on mondays... somehow gets you thinking ... and helping folks like me to overcome our short comings... keep writing and helping...
    K

9. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear chitra,
    very clearly you have brought out the effects of " jealousy" in your post.it is true.

Nothing can ruin a relationship or marriage faster than jealously. Jealousy creates anxiety, anger, loneliness, hate, fear. No one thinks clearly when jealous.
    Having a relationship with a jealous person is tough. The jealous person acts untrusting or unworthy. Jealousy makes the person unattractive, even repulsive.
    No one wants a jealous mate and no one likes being jealous.
    I think
    Where God's love dwells in all its fullness, there is no room for jealousy. Then and only then will our life become a life of peace instead of pieces.
    with love
    pad

sindmani likes this.
  10. Chitvish

that though I write on these topics, I am also very much one among
    folks like me -in your words!!
    I have a loooooooooooong way to go, K!
    Thanks & love,
    Chithra.