1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Philosophy of Life

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rvnachar, Sep 3, 2009.

1. rvnachar

rvnachar Silver IL'ite

THE PHILOSOPHY OF LIFE

Long since I blogged! My life got really busy with so many things which will be of no use if discussed in public. All the time, at the back of my mind, the thought that my intellectual hunger was not being fed kept haunting me. Of course, blogging feeds more of my hunger than serving any other purpose. Even a couple of interested responses serve as bonus and motivate the writer in me.

Over the past couple of months, I am undergoing a lot of emotional turbulence due to various reasons. Problems started raining on me. Nothing is so serious; yet each problem occupies so much space of my life and mind that I am left with no time or energy for anything else, let alone writing and reading. Every minute, I keep thinking of the millions of unfortunate beings, who are not blessed with so many good things that I enjoy and thank God for blessing me with all this. I also wish and hope that my life carries on with problems that I can handle. I feel guilty to request God to rid me of my problems, because immediately I am reminded of all those people who have very serious issues with unthinkable pain.

‘You have been doing good to so many people. Yet, why so many problems?’ When I hear such comments of concern, I do feel pity on myself but then I feel, at least God has been blessing me with issues that I am able to bear though with some emotional strain and also sending angels in different forms to help me out of situations.

I have to acknowledge the contribution of so many good souls around me who whole-heartedly come to my rescue with their physical, mental, psychological and emotional support. I see God in each of them – my mother, my close friends, some of my relatives (who are really not that close in relationship), my maid, my husband and my dear son. It is a paradox that sometimes emotional pain is caused by people who I consider so close to my heart.

Though I do believe in one super power controlling the universe and really do not believe in astrology, the role of planets and other things, of late the way I am facing certain unexpected setbacks in my life, has made me wonder whether all those beliefs are in vain. Otherwise, how come the same words and deeds that were well understood by people close to you seem to backfire and earn their wrath? How come all the deeds that you performed sincerely in the interest of your kith and kin suddenly are seen with a different eye and you become the target of their hatred? I feel like getting into a recluse and in fact my philosophical son advises me to do so and start searching for my inner self rather than wasting my energy in searching for reasons that are leading to all these miseries in my life. However, that is not an easy job.

At such a crucial moment, I will have to bear another big blow – separation of my son, who is flying far away for his further studies. Theoretically, I can write reams on ‘detachment’, ‘soul searching’, ‘love thyself’ and so many other things. But practicing all these things is very tough. Time moves on and I have no choice now. Nothing and nobody waits for anybody. Event after event happens with no prior announcement. Though it all seems that we are planning for so many things in our lives and feel elated when our plan works, the truth is that those plans are really not ours! Destiny has its own design and plan. ‘Do not insult nature or defy nature. Learn to respect creation’, advises my son whenever I suffer self-pity or brood over the past or future. I feel nice that he has been able to grasp so much philosophy of life at such a young age, while at 53, I am unable to practice, though I do understand most of it. ‘Start enjoying your own company and thank God for giving you solitude. Do not seek for external company, since it is not permanent’, says he. I often wonder whether this is the same nagging child,

-who would force us to look for some tiny part of some toy, when we would be in a mad rush to get to our workplace in the morning;
    -who would be so fussy to drink his glass of milk in the morning and waste so much of my precious time;
    -who could never be at ease in the school as it demanded some discipline- discipline of writing and reading;
    -who hates any place that demands certain regulated behaviour; he especially gets irritated if a home is treated as a museum and another institution;
    -who can never appreciate the system of education which is mostly exam-oriented.

I am proud that my son has grown into a really mature individual. Of course it pains to realize that he is totally independent and confident, merely because my need in his life has reduced to that extent. And also I feel very hurt when my son is often misunderstood to be an arrogant guy by many, as very few of them can accept that he is now a mature man and he does not talk things out of impulses but after calculated analysis. However, I thank God for making him such a strong individual so that I need not worry about how he is going to manage all alone in a strange place. My misery ends with my solitude. I will really miss him and I dread a life in which I may have to wait for years to meet him in person. Life brings such painful turns. I wish and pray that some miracle takes place and I am able to spend more time with my dear son.

Sudha Narasimhachar

2. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sudha,

As usual a great writeup.....dont we all go through this pain of seperation and then also doesn't this stage in our life make us realise that indeed our little ones have GROWN up and have become mature! I have a daughter and i went through this , but as of this week she is back with me after her masters studies, but still daughters have to go away....so i am all set and ready! But i am amazed at your son's philosophical leanings....since what he says is 100 percent perfect.....i learnt solitude is better and to go into my Inner Being and also about the emotional turmoils we face when we try to help in good will but it turns into hatred! Some of these things i faced and i learnt the hard way what ur son so easily has said .....looks like you have given him everything and it comes back to you in your times of need!
    Loved your sharing, it made me look at my life from the past 4 years and once again undertand many things!
    Keep writing more.....

3. SoaringSpirit

SoaringSpirit Silver IL'ite

Dear Sudha,
    It is good to see you here.

I can only imagine what you must be going through knowing that your son is leaving for further studies. I haven't gone through that phase yet. But having two kids, I know that one day I will have to face this.

I now understand the pain my Mom (specifically) and Dad must have gone through when all 3 of us left the home within a period of 1.5 yrs.

The only consolation we have Sudha is that although we may say we are lonely, we really do have a lot of company in the people who are undergoing a similar transition in life.

As for your doing good turning into bad, remember that just like everything in your life this is transitional too. Yes, it hurts but the pain will not last forever. How short and how esy you make it on yourself is all that counts. Don't try to fight the pain but at the same time try not to let it overwhlem you either.

I know this is easier said than done.

Lots of hugs to you for bravely sailing through this!

Luv,
    SS

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Sudha,

nice to have you back as usual.

i pray to god that all your troubles wash away.

you hit the nail when you say it is easy to write, talk about detachment and empty nest, when it happens, we need to have a better frame of mind to accept it.

You son is learning the lessons independently.

I am wondering about it from the time chitvish had written about it, and now you have added to it. though there is time before their leaving the nest.

cheer up. hugs to you. the pain eases out when you see a very confident man during his next visit - your son.

5. manjulapathy

manjulapathy Senior IL'ite

Dear Sudha!
    It is indeed very true when you say it is easy to talk about detachment. Most of us go through that phase. you should be happy to realize that your son is independent now. It is in your upbringing he has become fine and mature individual. The full credit goes to you. Definitely miracle will happen and you will be able to spend lots of time with your son. cheer up. all the best
    manjula