1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Perks Of 'xx' Chromosomes!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Shalumurthy, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Shalumurthy

Shalumurthy Gold IL'ite

Born with 'XX' chromosome, I was deemed a girl at birth! Nothing great about it, a lot of 'XX' chromosomes are born every day! I had a great childhood, no complains! I choose my profession, my clothes, even my husband!! I was sent off with a nice lavish wedding, gifts for me and my new family!! So you might wonder, why am I writing this? To show off? Or simply tell people of the blessings I received?

Today, there are so many girls out there who have a similar lifestyle like mine! They have wonderful parents like mine! They have been applauded for their success! Parents have improved leaps and bounds! I have heard stories of a girl child being a burden, but not anymore! So what do you think I'm talking about? Any guesses?

So without further delay, I'm here to tell you the perks of being a girl in a society full of hypocrites! And do you know who these hypocrites are? Another woman!! Not a man, not a boy but another girl, another woman!! The shocking but sad reality of life. Being born with 'XX' chromosome was not my choice, so why do people think that being a girl, being a woman; was my choice?? I was born with it! Sadly, I don't regret it one bit!

A few days ago, my mother in law was seated along with her mother and my sister in law in the living room. I sat back with my cup of coffee. Do note my sister in law is pregnant and her her due date is very nearby!! The topic of pregnancy was broached and my mother in law with all her knowledge declared that new mothers who deliver a boy baby must be extra precautions with food and other details. I was like 'WoW'!!

Being a feminist I couldn't shut up. I told her that her thoughts are wrong but all of them chose to ignore me. I was really riled up, pissed that women could sit and gossip and put another gender above them. As a mother of a baby girl myself, I felt ignored and ashamed! Strong women empower another woman, isn't it?

The following days, I suffered from pain in my right-hand due to an accident I had a few years ago! My mother in law wanted me to make curry but since I was in pain my husband offered to help me! I gave him instructions to make the curry and as he was cutting the vegetables, again my intelligent mother in law declared that my hubby was taking up tasks he hardly knew. When I walked into the house as a new member, I didn't know cooking too! Cooking is not a women's job, it is a life skill to be learned by both men and women.

I know what all of you are thinking and no, it is not a post to vent out my frustrations against my mother in law! I hold no grudges against her but I am so angry at their ignorance. If a child is born to be loved and taught to grow up to face the world, why do women think it is their duty to discriminate them? Who gave them the rights to tell them it is ok to put another woman down?

Women, wake up!! Today, you should not be fighting for your equality with men!! God designed us to be different, so let's accept it but be prepared to fight the women who put you down, fight the depression you go through every day, fight yourself to be a little braver and fight those hypocrites who tell that women are lesser than men!

'NO' I am not going to accept insult and tauntings by another woman. I am a dream maker, challenger, pillar of strength and hope. I'm born a woman and I will raise a stronger woman. Now its time for you to be the change you want to see.

dc24, rupz, sindmani and 5 others like this.

2. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

The same mother in law in future will not have the same thoughts when it pertains to her grand daughter(your LO).

Shalumurthy likes this.
  3. zeppelingirl

zeppelingirl Silver IL'ite

I always had this thought that a women is the only person who put down another women, husbands are exceptional here.

I had an experience in office some months back. There is a boy in my office who is kinda immature. Speaks immature. But he is a good person. His immaturity never hurts anybody. He has this habit of speaking with girls, irrespective of their age, while inbetween work. Which can never disturb others work, but he knows when to fool around. He is too smart in his work.

Like a usual day he started to fool around with me and my friend. I don't reply back much most of the days. It's my friend who shut his mouth by saying something but this guy is harmless.

Another girl who sits opposite of us, who is a dominating freak, scold me infront of all other employees asking ''what will I send as status that day evening. If I will send that I was fooling around with this guy". This girl is not a saint. Even she fools around with other boys in office. She is also not in higher designation. I dunno why she spoke to me that way. It was the guy who goes around and disturb everyone in office. If she was really bothered about that she could have asked that to the guy, instead she hurt me infront of others. I was like "how can a woman do this to another woman". When we girls don't respect and support each other, how can we expect a boy to respect and treat as equal.

Shalumurthy and rupz like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Shalumurthy,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful thoughts. Only a few days back, some one articulated how men fought for the rights of women and now you have come up with a snippet that blames women who put down other women.

Sometimes, I feel how a woman feels drives everything in life. You are a great example of keeping your enthusiasm up as a woman. No one has control over whether a child will be a boy or a girl. Why give importance to any particular gender? That is where putting down another gender begins.

Even we need to break the shackle of a woman married to a family has to first meet the needs of her in-laws before attempting to meet the needs of her parents. If a wife is adopting a new family, so is the man of the house. He needs to be man enough to consider the parents of his wife as his own parents and be proud about it. He needs to stand up whenever and wherever a woman is put down in any form.

The limitations are in the mind be it a man or woman. They need to be free to be themselves.

Viswa

Shalumurthy and sindmani like this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Feminism goes beyond speaking up, correcting wrong, outdated opinion from previous generation women and resolving to bring up a strong next generation daughter. It starts earlier. Such as relying on parents till education expenses, but after that being responsible for oneself, not only choosing one's husband but also choosing to finance one's wedding as much as one can. Daughter's feminism can mean that parents have to sacrifice their dream of a lavish wedding as she wants to finance her own wedding with her to-be-husband.

If a woman is sent off with a "lavish wedding", "gifts" for "her" and "her new family", and "enters the in-laws house as a new member", and accepts these willingly, then, the comments like "new mothers of baby boys need more caution with food etc" are par for the course. Cherry-picking which parts of the "traditional" she is fine with, and which parts go against her feminist thoughts can lead to confusion when other members of the household do not think similarly.

If the woman's parents have the luxury of following tradition and send her off with lavish wedding, gifts and have the satisfaction of telling themselves and all "we settled our daughter in a good family" then why begrudge the MIL and her mother a few tradition laced comments?

Feminism means being mistress of one's house. No MIL being able to tell the woman to make curry when she is in pain. Feminism usually means both man and woman might have no/less knowledge of cooking before marriage, and learn by trial and error as they live independently for at least the first few years of marriage. A setting in which the MIL can tell the DIL to make a certain curry and the husband "helps" based on instructions, and MIL can comment on the man cooking -- such a setting can hardly lend itself to any feminist thought or living.

As usual the man is excused. He offered to help the wife who was in pain. Good. What did he tell his mother about his wife being asked to cook when in pain? At a point where there is also a child in the marriage, he still cannot make a curry independently? Nothing wrong with it per se, but if feminism is being brought into the picture, and the MIL, MIL's mother's comments are being judged, then there is plenty wrong about the male being so helpless in the kitchen.

This blaming women for being the one to pull down other women makes for interesting reading. It gives a nice feeling to lay the blame somewhere specific. In reality, it is rarely so black and white. Ideally, a woman who is or wants to be a feminist, takes charge of her life after education. Finds a husband who thinks like her, works for a few years before marriage, finances her wedding with husband, they live as a nuclear family for at least a few years. She earns money and always remains capable of supporting herself financially, and if she doesn't work it is because they both decide that is best for their family.

A few outdated comments from older women are trivial compared to the bigger nods feminist women give to tradition.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  6. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Sir, well said. But, unfortunately, this is such a grey area & subject to varying interpretation between the husband and wife on whether the wife was put down or not and whether he had to come in her defense & speak up. So very often after the incident occurs when the wife thinks she was put down by one or both her in laws, there is a big argument behind doors where the husband claims that it was wife’s fault & therefore, he did not come to her defense and wife claims it was his mistake for not coming to her defense. Both bring up past instances in their defense & the situation reaches an impasse! Unfortunately, there are no mediators or simple rules to decide whether the husband is right in arguing that it was wife's fault or the wife is right in her claim of being put down by his parents. After this, there is some silent treatment, going back to good terms, Dil being put down again, argument between Dh & Dw, impasse, repeat.. It's a cycle!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    Shalumurthy, sindmani and Viswamitra like this.
  7. pranavi1987

pranavi1987 Gold IL'ite

Very well said @Shalumurthy i agree with what you said. It is always another woman who puts woman down.There might be some men doing that too. I was told by my mil once that women should shut up and it is her duty to do each and every task behind the maindoor, outside the maindoor tasks needs to be done by men. Then i retorted how do you expect your DiL’s to work outside the doors and bring salaries to home is it wrong according to you? She gulped could not answer back. It is not vent for mil, but they keep humiliating that we are a girl? Is it our fault to be born as girl. Unfortunately modern women work same as men and some times in better position as men, but still they are humiliated for their gender dont know why people measure abilities based on gender rather than talent

Shalumurthy likes this.
  8. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

I support ur thoughts. Hats off to u. Everywhere hypocrites. Sometimes I too wonder many men are more good and understanding . Sometimes sadly a woman is the one who underestimated other woman and supports men chauvinism .

9. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Very true. Always its a wife's fault and however adjusting a wife is she is taunted for something or the other. No good name. Now a days I don't expect any understanding my position from any one. I don't need any certificate of exellence from
    my husband or anyone.

10. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

This was really too much. But for our sanity lets forget it. Believe me I too heard something similar from my mother in law .

Shalumurthy and Naari like this.