1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The other side

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by maalti, Apr 20, 2012.

1. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

Finest Blog Winner - Fourth Weekly Pick of April 2012

Reema was in a confused state of mind. She was studying third year graduation in a famous college. Her classmate Nikil had proposed to her that morning. Niikil was one of the most sought after boys in the college. He was good looking, handsome and had all the qualities that young girls wish for. But she had not accepted his love immediately. She had told him that she wanted some time to think and he had readily agreed.

The next week he had invited her and some of their classmates to his birthday party. It was to be held in his house. She accepted the invitation as she thought she could meet his parents and know his background. All of them went to the party. There, she saw his mom, dad, his elder brother Sajil and his brother’s wife Rupa. Rupa was in the advanced stage of pregnancy and all the members in the family showered their love on her. Reema was satisfied and decided to accept Nikil’s proposal. She decided to tell him the next day when she met him in the college. But after the party, Nikil said that he and his family members were going to Mumbai to attend an important wedding except Rupa, who was going to her parent’s place for delivery. So Reema decided to wait till Nikil came back from Mumbai.

Reema’s mom Anu was more like a friend to her. So she told Nikil’s proposal to her mom. Anu also asked her daughter to take some time before deciding anything.
    After one week, Nikil came to college. He looked more handsome. His face brightened on seeing her. “Hi Reema”, he said on seeing her and she blushed, blaming herself. “Shall we go to some restaurant today evening after college?” he asked her. “No Nikil, I have some work today. We shall go tomorrow” she replied. “Ok, then tomorrow without fail” he said. “Yes”, she replied.

The next day they went to a restaurant. After ordering the menu, she asked, “Nikil, what child did your brother’s wife deliver?” “Girl child” he said. “Oh! Very nice. Did you go and see the baby” she asked. “No Reema, I am not interested in going. Nor any of our family members are” he replied. She was shocked and asked “Why Nikil?” for which he replied “we were all expecting a male baby and she has given birth to a female baby”. His reply shocked her even more. “What difference does it make Nikil? You are an educated man. You know pretty well who is responsible for the sex of the child” she said. “No dear” he said, it is not like that. That is what everyone says since they want to protect female infanticide. But the truth is that only the mother is responsible for the sex of the baby”. “Nikil, shall I ask you something? If we get married and if I deliver a girl child, won’t you come to the hospital and see the child?” she asked. “Don’t worry darling. I am sure you will deliver only a male child. Oh! So now I understand that you have agreed to my proposal” he said happily.

“No Nikil, I am sorry. If my parents had decided like you did when I was born, you wouldn’t have proposed to me now. We are all educated people. When we ourselves have such pre-conceived notions, just think about the uneducated mass. I am thankful God has opened my eyes at the right time and I have seen the other side of you”. “So, you are not accepting my proposal. Do you think you are only one girl I have proposed? There are so many girls who are after me just to talk with me” he said. “You can have as many girls but you can never have a Reema. Good bye” she replied and walked away from him, her head held high.:thumbsup

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Oh it is a girl? This kind of thinking still exists. Educated or uneducated, it does not matter. broad minded thinking is required. When my friend delivered a girl, he husband did not come to the hospital for 2 days. Well educated rich family, but still such thinking. Wish suck thinking would change.

3. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

Thank you ramya

4. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

It is always important to understand the other side of a person before going ahead in such proposals. We never what lies in their lives and in their minds.

Glad she took time and saved herself.

5. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

Thank you Pallavi

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Congratulations for winning the finest blog - best weekly pick for April 2012. It is truly an inspiring story for many young women who are in a position to make most important decision in their life. Unfortunately, many of them come to know the mind of their inlaws' family only after the fact. We need a revolutionary change in thinking among people and everyone who is discriminating against a girl child should be excommunicated socially.

Viswa

7. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

Thank you Viswa

8. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

It was nice to read Maalti. The narration was crisp. Congrats for the prize. -rgs

9. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Congrats Maalti for winning the finest blog award! This story truly deserves it :thumbsup

It's funny that even after many years of so-called civilization, some of us still find no harm in practicing gender biasness. I've heard of many instances where the woman are abandoned by the husband and in-laws simply because she has given birth to a female child. Such absurd cruelty to be meted out on equally absurd justifications. On top of all that, you would also notice that some of the people who actually voice out in public against gender biasness are the same ones who practices the same while inside the four walls of their homes.

Your story is a reminder that all that glitters are not gold. It's high time for women to realize that men who are seemingly perfect on the outside might not be really pure and good in the inside. Nikhil is the perfect example of this!

10. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

Congratulations maalti for winning the finest blog award!!

And Sofea, I agree to with you 100% on this.