1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The only baggage we all like to carry...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by forgiven10, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Dhaanika

Dhaanika Gold IL'ite

The stabilizers idea is neat. Its true we can't entirely rid of all of it, and neither would I want to, cause that's what makes me human... I don't necessarily see it as good or bad I guess. At times though, I don't understand the idea of having hardship, for the sake of being dependent on God though. I think of it in the context of humility instead, and learning more about ourselves and our human limitations. But maybe, (like all our conversations!) its two facets of the same coin, it depends on what it is that we consider to be the divine, and there are no absolute ways of looking at it...

I like what you say about "just trust me..." It doesn't come easy, and if I have to tell myself "yeah, just keep going, keep the faith" then its already gone in some measure or why would I need to reassure myself? And I wonder if I'm kidding myself, you know, like a mother tells her child, "eat those veggies, they're good for you.." Ideally, shouldn't that come from within, without the need for that cajoling? If I'm having to tell myself to trust, its a little like I'm trying to "fake it till I make it..."

Aarrrghhh. I struggle with a lot of these ideas and just trying to find my way around! :)

Exactly! Its something that bothers me as well. Why do we foster the culture that being hard on oneself is the noble thing to do? I mean if I were an alien visiting Earth, that would sound pretty absurd to me and yet, here we all grow up thinking that's the right way to personal growth.

I don't know about reflecting, I'm too far lost to find my own way ;-)

KWIM is know what I mean.
    Ditto about the conversation stuff. :)

2. forgiven10

forgiven10 Silver IL'ite

I think you're right on. There's NEVER one side of anything (except maybe time 'cause its one-dimensional). So, hey why not think of human suffering + God's sufficiency are two sides of the same coin. Works for me. :) In fact, my faith teaches the same and in my life experience so far, I've noticed that every harship of mine related to God in one way or another. Like He was there. And He had a plan for it which, curiously, at the end I found, revolved around Him with Him being the center (and here I was thinking the spotlight was on me!). But, atleast in my life, no - the spotlight inevitably went to Him and I gathered that He uses my earthly hardships for an ethereal purpose (which is a very liberating thought both in itself and also to live by).

I could do better with the personal growth though. From your words, it appears to me that you're a person with resolve. Simply because of your resolve to grow as a human being (what you said about learning humility and discovering limitations). And I could surely use more of that in my own life. Resolve is beautiful when it has a higher purpose.

Hmm, now this is could be a topic of discussion. I've been reading a book on Philosophy and the author has a whole chapter on this topic. He talks about pluralism, exclusivism and their respective validities.

I find it fascinating that you use the word "cajoling." Hmm, being "cajoled into faith." I'm sitting here trying to picture that you know, and your analogy helps. Wow. my picture of faith is sort of different its like- being pushed into faith. You gather all your guts, you trust your Guide and you take the plunge type idea. Yes, there is that everyday-faith too that keeps me going but I don't know what its called. Maybe persistence?

Because somehow this is ingrained in people's minds that WE are our own salvation. That we, can liberate ourselves. The process of going about that is different in different religions. But the underlying assumption is the same or else why try to live impeccably (which somehow people think comes from being hard on oneself)?

I see :). So how do you keep track of your lessons, musings,thoughts,questions? (besides in your mind)

I see. I'm horrible with lingo. :rotfl

3. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

> we humans ... go around carrying emotional baggage which serve no good purpose. Someone tell me why

How about "that's how our nervous systems are wired" ? :)

4. forgiven10

forgiven10 Silver IL'ite

haha, :) like it!

5. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

I was dead serious (despite the smiley).

Some things in our bodies -- for instance, vestigial organs like the appendix -- "serve no good purpose" but we are stuck with them.

6. forgiven10

forgiven10 Silver IL'ite

Hi sojourner! Welcome! :)

I see you offer a naturalistic answer for an (ultimately) metaphysical question. I understand what you said about vestigial organs, but can you elaborate on why emotional baggage is comparable to it? I can't seem to mine the similarities myself but maybe you can help me out.

7. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

Thanks.

I will respond to your comment tomorrow (when I will have more time than I do have at the moment). I will say the following now, though.

Yes. And I am glad you noticed.

In my view, the question is "metaphysical" only because:

a. The possibility of a naturalistic answer is simply not recognized.

b. Naturalistic answers require special knowledge and are often extremely difficult. Under these conditions, metaphysical (i.e., non-naturalistic) answers offer an easy way out.

Let's take smallpox for instance. We now know that it is caused by a virus (a naturalistic cause). This was not known at one time. Even today, this probably is not appreciated in certain parts of the world, due to a lack of education. Smallpox is attributed to mythical causes (such as the wrath of a particular god).

Attributing emotional baggage to the "I"s inside us is indeed appealing to a mythical cause, though this is not appreciated at all. I will elaborate in my next comment. [No deep reasons for keeping you waiting. Breakfast just became ready. Got to go :)]

8. forgiven10

forgiven10 Silver IL'ite

yeah, but I would love to hear more about this.....

While I fully understand where you're coming from and what your implying, I feel a little uncomfortable with the usage of the word "mythical". Because for some of us, our faith is more real than reality itself. And God, more involved with our lives than life itself. So with that as a backdrop, we analyze such things in the context of spirituality or meta-physicality. Just letting you know where I'm coming from...looking forward to it!

9. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

I was going to reply when I got home from work (which I just did). However, after seeing you latest post, I am not sure whether you want me to respond to you or not. What I write may well make you uncomfortable. This world view was taught in a course called (something like) Nat Sci 114 at Harvard in the 1950s. The comfort level of so many students were challenged that Harvard Infirmary identified a Nat Sci 114 Syndrome :)

10. forgiven10

forgiven10 Silver IL'ite

Lol, at the Nat Sci 114 syndrome. :)

Yes- the reason I posted that was to give you a glimpse of where I'm coming from since its often hard to gauge that aspect in an online setting. :) That said, I am very interested in what you have to say (but don't feel pressured). Do what's most comfortable for you. As for me, I am willing to come out of my comfort zone. Oh and if this is any reassurance, being a theist I've debated with evolutionists/naturalists for 3 years and have managed to emerge out of the arena sane so.....yeah. :biggrin2: Not saying that this needs to be a debate, but anyway....