1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Omniscient Gentleman!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viji
    In my school days, I lived in a big colony where there were ten families. As there was no TV those days, our main entertainment used to be getting together in the evenings at the big courtyard playing , singing and talking. Though there may some occasional skirmishes, the relationship among the neighbours used to be very strong.

But the modern life style has robbed us of good neighbourly relationship. Every one minds his business. We know nothing of our neighbours. We interact so much with our friends in IL but not with our neighbours!
    Sri

2 people like this.
  2. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri,

The concepts and culture are slowly changing... We started off with nucleus families... Now we start living in our own Den... We dont interact with out neighbours... False pride, ego, jelousy etc...Sometimes we dont even know who they are... I still remember the days we were in Delhi... We were in a big colony... we lived there for 2 years+... The only people we know is the family who lived int he flat above us... That too because they have to cross our flat daily if they have to go out of their house and my kids used to wave and chat with them...

But this has but this has become the order of the day... Gone are the days, where in we invite all the neighbours for all the functions in our house and have a grand party and all... Now neither we have the time for our neighbours nor we try to know about them... Earlier days, we used to know everything happening (good & bad) with the neighbours... Nowadays it is called intruding into their privacy... hahahahahahaha...

Forget neighbours... you are supposed to keep your distance with your own brother and sisters... Else, you are un necessarily poking your nose in their life...

Veda

1 person likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

Dear Veda
    For a man who grew up in a densely populated residential locality of Triplicane, I find the latest situation as painted by you quite depressing. Of course, I do agree that the modern life style gives us very little opportunity to interact with our neighbours. You are even right in saying that if we show more than ordinary interest in our neighbours' lives, we are condemned as being too snoopy!

This probably explains the enormous popularity of communities such as IndusLadies. Here we are able to develop intense camaraderie with other members without being branded snoopy. What would be considered a great taboo in our interactions with our neighbours is just passed off as normal in internet communities. There may be a few cases of aberrations even here but they are very very few!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  4. jaijui0

jaijui0 Senior IL'ite

hello Cheeniyaji,
    I found your article very enjoyable ...well at least the gentleman spoke to you ..I too am a chatterbox and love talking to just about anyone who will listen to me during flights . very few people will talk back .. then I suppose i have my pride too ..so I go to sleep instead :(
    jaijui

5. Cheeniya

Dear jaijui
    A hearty welcome to participate in my ramblings!
    Let me tell you a story. Stop me if you have heard it before!
    Two sardarjis were travelling in a long distance train bound for Delhi. A short while after the train started moving, one of the Sardarjis asked the other if he too was going to Delhi. This is how the conversation went.
    "Do you live in Delhi?"
    "Yes of course! What about you?"
    "I too live in Delhi"
    "Oh, that's nice! Where in Delhi?"
    "Karol Bagh. And you?"
    "Oh really? I live there too! Where in Karol Bagh?"
    "999,WEA"
    "Oh my God! I too live in 999 WEA.Which floor?"
    "Third Floor! And before you ask, flat number 312"
    "My God! You can beat me down with a feather! I live in the same flat!"

A third person who was sitting opposite to them could not stomach it any more and asked them how they could be living in the same flat and not knowing each other. One of them then replied that they were actually brothers but they were just making conversation to beat the drudgery of the long journey!

What is travel if you can't have a free chat with your fellow travellers? There is no point in being stuck up about it and lose all the fun in life! I am all with chatterboxes like you. May your tribe increase!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  6. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,
    I just started going thro' your ramblings, took the guts to give an fb.
    As usual it is written well with thoughts and langugae laced together.

I remember the movie Vasool raja MBBS where the hero shows that no one knows the cleaner by his name though he has been working for umpteen years in the college. Our society is becoming more like a western society. We complain when neighbours enquire abt the guests who visited us the previous day. We term the nosy & wish for a life like in western society. If our neighbours are "nose up in the air" we term them westernized neighbour & most often we will say "if my house is on fire, this neighbour won't call the firestation".
    If our society previously was not in this manner why did we allow it to happen? I notice in Malaysia especially in the upper & rich indians the children can't speak their mother tongue,mostly they speak english at home . Fine! if you have no problems abt it. The parents of these kids will be complaining that malaysian society doesn't allow indians to adhere to our culture & that children are more attuned to english . The truth is that these parents don't speak their mother tongue ,while lingua franca at home is english, how do you expect the child to learn the mother tongue? Why wail and cry that our culture is going down the drain?
    The bottom line is we allowed it to happen. No use blaming others or our society.
    Society is full of different characters and this heterogeneous society makes it spicier to live.
    May God bless you.
    Jaya

7. Cheeniya

Dear Jaya
    First things first.
    You still seem to feel a bit diffident about writing to me. Why do you need 'guts' to write to me? My ramblings are not the Booker Prize variety. They are just as plain and ordinary as we see in letters to the Editor of any popular newspaper. Maybe I have a greater range of subjects to talk about but then it is only to be expected of my age! Don't you think that a man of 66 who has worked in the country's largest Bank for 25 years would have a lot of personal experience to share? That is what I do. I write about the real people that I had come across in my life. I am otherwise just a plain, happy go lucky man who just loves to be transparent and honest with everyone that he encounters. Please treat me as a peer as we all write for the same site and hence are equal.

Your mention of that scene in Vasool Raja is excellent. That particular scene was very profound. I have experienced it myself in school and college. On the second day of going to a new class and a new teacher called me by name, I used to swell with pride that he knew my name on day two itself! Nothing can be as motivating than by being called by name!

I agree with you that the distance that we feel with our neighbours is something that is handed down from the top to bottom. I have seen parents who feel very concerned about their children if they become too friendly with the neighbours. This apprehension is probably due to children's indiscretion in communicating with the neighbours.

I am not for total alienation with the neighbours. It will be in our interest if we keep a healthy relationship with our neighbours.
    Sri

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,

He must be one hell of a guy.Wish i was sitting next to u,and we would have had a wondferul talks.I cant sit quite, and i need someone to talk be it walking, or in a flight, or in a cab i talk to teh cabbie, and ask him if he carried any filmstars or gangsters.But i dont need anyone in the loo !!!

Good one Sri.Regards

kamal

9. jaijui0

jaijui0 Senior IL'ite

hello cheeniyaji,

ha ha truly a Sardar joke .I have a storehouse of them
    .i wonder though how these jokes all started and why the Sardars were targetted .lol! there are some pretty brainy Sardars around , you know

thank u for making me laugh :rotfl
    jaijui

10. Cheeniya

Dear jaijui
    Do we need greater proof than Manmohan Singh and Montek Singh Ahluwalia for Sardarjis' intellectual capabilities? It is because of their intelligence, Sardarjis have the equanimity to take the jokes on themselves in the right spirit. There is also another community that is the butt of many jokes. They are the Nambudiris of Kerala. They are also equally brainy.
    Sri

1 person likes this.