the oldest women to give birth to triplets

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by Aana, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Aana

Aana New IL'ite

2. goldc

goldc Senior IL'ite

Wow ....ALAS ATLAST they found a light at the end of the tunnel.

3. hemadurga

hemadurga Bronze IL'ite

aana,
    dont women get menopause by that age -- 66 years ???

then how they did ivf ??

4. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hey Hema,
    It can be turned back once decided on IVF!
    Have heard of such cases!

5. Ooviya

Ooviya Platinum IL'ite

6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I know that IVF etc are a great boon to women who are unable to conceive naturally but this is really the limit. These are unscrupulous doctors with no morals who are just out to set records and get some quick and easy fame. Why doesn't anyone think about the ethics of giving birth at 66 and 70? What sort of life are you condemning the poor child to? How long will that mother and father live? 10-20 more years. Then what? Who cares for that 10-15 year old who has lost both parents? Even if they live to be a 100 who will be caring for whom? Is it fair to expect a 10 year old to have to care for a 90 year old invalid father? Who will change whose diapers? Will that dad play with his kid? Run around with him?:rant

Giving birth is not the end all of being a parent. Raising them, being there for them and giving them a secure future is what makes one a parent. These geriatric parents can do none of these things. There really needs to be an age limit beyond which such treatments should not be offered.

7. Mythraeyi

Mythraeyi Silver IL'ite

I agree completely. In your sixties you will not have the energy to parent a little kid.There was a case in Romania where a woman had babies (twins!) at 66 and passed away 3 years later. Now the 3 year old babies are orphans as she was not married. It is being irresponsible. There should be some kind of age limit for this - 50 at the most maybe.

8. Pankajini

Pankajini Senior IL'ite

hemadurga IVF is possible after menopause in case of surrogating IVF, where the woman providing the egg isn't the same who will carry the pregnancy to term or else by hormonally controlling the ovulatory process, which to me seems difficult after menopause. Multiple kids is the major problem with IVF so not atall surprising to have triplets...:bonk

Gauri and Mythraeyi ,I agree with you both as providing a good foundation to a child is very important for them to build a decent and sensible future. I am surprised with the fact that this lady could think of pregnancy at this age. :crazy

So India’s population is now definitely on a rise…God Help US!!!:drowning

9. hemadurga

hemadurga Bronze IL'ite

oh ok pankajini,

so the children are from egg donation and the lady has just carried the triplets of her husband.. inspite of reaching menopause ... i was scratching my head thing how the doctor made the old lady's eggs develop again after menopause....

making the hormones suitable for pregnancy after menopause is itself and very very commendable feat...

yeah sometimes it feels that technology is helping us a lot but sometimes, such things also happen wherein children are born at very very late ages and the parents cant even take care of the child.....

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010