1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The new age feedbacks/comments, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Shanvy, May 23, 2012.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

I enjoy reading,being on vacation and having exhausted most of the books I carried, resorted to reading news online, and of course the comments section too, you never know what triggers a thought process, and there are times when the comments sections are more edutaining (well not sure if it is in the dictionary, but that is educative and entertaining…), well thanks Amy chua, whose news clips, and the succeeding comments really did enlighten me and hook me on to the comments section.

It made me wonder, is it only me or do others find, the paradigm shift in the way comments are made. Well it really pains me a lot, when I read some very derogatory to the level of aggressive hatred in mails.
    Yesterday, I was reading about the 12th results In tamilnadu, and this daily that is aggressive marketer down south, had a news that talked about this school that had both the state 1st and the 2nd toppers, and girls at that..(I know nothing new about it right…) and there were around 50 comments and more than 50% of them carried not suitable for print comments and also there were comments that went to point at malpractices and more(you keep guessing) for getting those results..i really feel sorry if the girls were to read that..

I know you cannot bar anybody from commenting, but where did our social etiquette go..there were times when we would not write anything that would sound impolite, forget rude. Today I find comments with their real names and email id’s…is this the lure of instant recognition., that comes to the poster..

Freedom of expression is our fundamental right and I do not deny it, but isn’t commenting rudely or spewing hatred taking it to a different plane.lWhen I asked the same thing to one of my friends’ she said “The comments, are way to express what is in their mind as it, and it should be taken constructively rather than personal..” Though I don’t agree with her, does she have a point I wonder??

I do agree that when you post online, the things are open to be dissected and I should be strong enough to accept this when it comes to forums, online communities., and in an forum like indusladies or techcommunities, unwanted and spamming is moderated by the mods, but what happens in the online magazines and other places where the hits and success is rated by the comments whether warranted or unwarranted..the you/me/sniggering/hatred gets to spread to others and you never know when the lines get smudged and you are in deep and it becomes an addiction to the poster.

What bothers me more is initially this spewing was only in relation to celebrities but it has slowly trickled down to things like everyday news and there would not be anything to make those obnoxious comments about.

My dissection partner (who else my husband) says, that I am giving it too much important, it is just those posters have more time to spend on the net than you think. It is a way venting out their aggression, their anger, a point I agree.

But what pains me more, is the literate, who understands what is written,(here I am leaving out those people who waste their time with those lewd/hate comments), but the ones written so negatively, with an educative insight, it would be better if it was positive, but i also think maybe the one who does it, has the fear of being thrashed by the others..

Freedom of expression has reached new levels, whether I am happy or not happy is another matter…
    The Why do people do this, how to stop is going to be a bouncing ball, that will not bring a one stop solution to this as I feel that this is the new cult that is spreading across…just google for rude comments, and you get a lot of help, the best rude comments for your facebook status, to say to your friends..….:drowning

Though i am not the moral police nor want to be one, it does pain the way the world is moving. so much hatred,anger, pessimism towards everything/everybody. pray to god for a little more positivism around..

do you think, "well she is antique" or do you think "she is right" ???..

2. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

You are right , my dearie....i dont know to express like you....but,i also used to discuss about this topic to my friends and family.....used to get upset to the core....hearing the comments........VAI ERUKUNNU AND FREEDOM ERUKUNNU EDHAVENMNALUM PESA KOODADHU...i very severely object whoever comments rudely for anything....there are lot of ways to show our feelings.....but now-a-days for the sake of CHEAP PUBLICITY.....(.no bar for age/sex/common man/celebrities....) all are doing this.......

(What bothers me more is initially this spewing was only in relation to celebrities but it has slowly trickled down to things like everyday news and there would not be anything to make those obnoxious comments about..).

sit and watch REALITY SHOW one day....your head will spin, listen to the comments , they give eachother to the same member of the family( sitting in opposite direction) .....i will be scared and worried for them.how they will be going to continue in the family......

Ava ava sondhama thirundhina dhan undu.......

3. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Sensible blog Shanvy. I feel that sometimes we get carried away when expressing our opinions. Of course, some deliberately do it to gain attention. If only the comments reflect the true mindset, then it helps to gauge the feel of an individual towards a topic and thus help in assessing the participants mindset. Apart from it, even they themselves know that they won't be taken seriously. -rgs

4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Shanvy,

In my opinion, aggression is not equal to strong view. Many confuse themselves and confuse others by being aggressive. If we can't make our point across in a polite tone, certainly, the aggressiveness is not going to convey the point well either as the other person will be preparing his/her speech when we are delivering our aggressive speech.

Dignity is not something that we gain from others but it is how we feel about ourselves. The only way we can achieve this is by being polite and decent.

Viswa

5. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Honestly a timely post. I always tell people write those things that you will be able to say to the person directly/face-to-face. Even for celebrities, the comments need to be toned down. After all they are also human beings.

6. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Hey Shanthi,

After pretty long time, logged in recently.Hope you are fine ma. How are the kids doing ?

A lovely & apt posting for the present times. Yes, it is thought provoking and I too am amazed to see the lack of basic civility between even everyday acquaintances. Yes, the trend seems to be very disturbing & not limited to online alone.
    Initially these celebrity bashing in the comments was hilarious -- then it became totally uncalled for & downright unnecessary. I stopped reading these online news many many months ago just to avoid these .
    We were brought up to not hurt others even by words -- as they are arrows which have left the quiver & cannot be got back !

It seems like majority of people nowadays are extremely anxious, edgy and not able to be happy for other human beings. Their words are thrusting negativity & ill vibes in even perfectly normal situations. And sadly this rudeness seems to be rubbing off on some of the younger generation too :(

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

RGS,

thanks for joining me here. i am not bothered about those who are seeking attention..but sometimes, innocent people get caught..what did those girls who have scored so well do ..they are being slashed and slammed with so much hatred..what if they read these..it is easy to say do not take anything to heart, but a teenager definitely is effected..as a mom of two teens, i know what it does in their circle..

i wish people were more considerate, keep their attention seeking posts to posts that don't hurt innocents.

8. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

Shanvy i do get such thoughts ..as to where are we heading to ? People just dont care about others or the impact of their comment on other people. They take things so light ..and give comments. My question would be ..how much of background work would have they done before passing such comments. Just because one person in thousand has done some mischief ..we cannot be blaming all the people ....

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

viswasir,

sorry for the late reply.

i so agree that aggression is not equal to strong views. but people relate to loud voice, agressive body language to strength and so does the same come across over the comments..(the same person would be a real coward in reality.)

i liked your lines on the dignity.. I tell the same to my kids..dignity and happiness, self-respect are both something you should feel and cannot be gained from the outside..

thanks for the wonderful insight..

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Ramya, i seriously don't understand, people who are not even from the same place as the people in post starting to lash out first at the person, then the place, the country all in the name of freedom.

sometimes, it makes me wonder if there should be restriction on what to post, what to comment..and at the same time i can understand some of the sites, cannot keep moderating the post as is possible in individual blogging or a smaller site...

while there are others sites which do not step in until it is going off the board and some member reports...

that is the new age and maybe i should learn to wade through it...