1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Namesakes

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Humorous snippet as usual Balajee. I hated being the first name on the roll calls, had to answer first and then wait for all the roll calls to complete. Naming a child today is a huge task. One has to be careful of it's adoption in other countries as well. No one now names their daughter Gopi in US. For our son, his name means fragrance and is easily pronounced by others.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  2. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Humorous snippet as always. Anyway we couldn't comment on the parents, whatever the name they choose for their kid. As you say nobody stands as their name suggests except few. Let the child be blessed to give a new meaning for the name.

Oh on my part this naming thing is a big confusion. I have a history for my name. My parents named me officially Ananthalakshmi. Now how do you pronounce it? With single A. Actually only my Tamil birth certificate shows it as Aananthalakshmi. My friends call me Ananth with single A. Fine with that. All my family members call me Manju, somehow my dad who used to call me Manjula dropped it without he realising it. Ok got married and my fil much adamant to call me with my namakaranam name started calling me Lakshmi. Uuh at this stage I got confused what name I should tell when I answer a phone call or my in-laws laws side people. Few call me Manju few call me Lakshmi. Is your head already spinning. Ok, rest may be one day it will be a topic to my snippet and it continues to my kids too.

3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

That way Akanksha it is best to name kids Zorba or Zach. Imagine the plight of a girl named Prajnaparamanwita who migrates to US or the plight of those who struggle to pronounce her name. Gopi is short and sweet I don't know why they avoid that name.

4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Oh my head is really spinning like a top and yours should too when you are called by so many names..

manjukps likes this.
  5. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Gopi gets pronounced as "Go Pee" by school students and they make fun of the child.

KashmirFlower and momsky like this.
  6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

We can never be too careful with Indian names abroad. Surender can become surrender.But some longer names are quite convenient like Devashish can be shortened to Dave.