The Mystery and Magic Of The Gujarati Thali

Discussion in 'Western India' started by ShrutiR, Jan 22, 2009.

1. ShrutiR

ShrutiR New IL'ite

:)My family love the Gujarati Thali. It is a treat for the tastebuds. Vegetarian delicacies, sweet and spicy, exquisitely laid out in metal thalis that have healing properties. Paper thin roti that you make pockets out of to scoop thevegetable and the dal and eat it. Undhyu a mixed vegetable, kadi, a white soup made of delicately flavoured herbs, the delicious basundi or aamras, for Gujaratis love their sweets, not to forget tangy pickles.

We discovered a great place to eat the Gujarati Thali in Ahmedabad sometime ago. Agashiye at the House of MG. A 20<SUP>th</SUP> century mansion that has been converted into a heritage metro hotel by the owner, Abhay Mangaldas. We were delighted as we walked around in its maze like structure, seeing little surprises at every nook and corner. We were touched by the hospitality and warmth we received when we went there for our meal on its terrace(Agashiye means 'on the terrace')

Have you eaten a Gujarati Thali before? What has your experience been?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009

2. jsrivenkat

jsrivenkat Silver IL'ite

Hello Shruthi,:coffee

We had the pleasure of dining out last saturday.It was a sudden programme and we stepped out with no specific place to go and eat.Anywhere less crowded and quick service was the idea.[saturday night hopes]Still having stepped out we drove down the Link Road,Malad.There is this Gujarathi Thali restuarant near Inorbit Mall[Mumbai].It was Subkutch supermarket that has been converted to a eating place.You name it,Fast Foods like the chats etc,south indian tc etc......What we had not tried was the Gujarathi Thali.:hide:

The gamble worked.Right from the welcome drink of cool jaljira,plates placed from thin air in no time we were sorrounded by dishes served pipingly hot.Imagine to fill a plate with about 8 dishes of vegetables,kadhi,dhal and rotis that simply vanished in our growling stomach.Dessert was two varieties and the in between hospitality was very warm.:bowdown

All these Unlimited and served any number of times.............The food had no side effects[next day]and neither there was a ulcer in the mouth due to cooking soda[normally]tsktsk

Result ,both my husband and our daughter had a mind to go back for lunch too the next day.:cool:
    :banana
    Gujarathi Thali is a Hit.

3. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Hey All,

My Family is also die hard fans of Guju Food, When we were in India we used often visit Thali Rest and eat to our Hearts Content. But we don't find any decent Rest in US now. So i have learnt all the guju receipes and try to make them at home.

In Mumbai we used to always frequent a Thali Rest in Thane near one famous Mall... the rest is named as "TipTop" where u can get athuentic guju Thali and can drink unlimited Chaas which is to Die for.

4. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi

I love to dig my fingers in the Gujarati Thali! Sev Tomato, batata lasooniya, kichdi kadi, rotlo, cabbage salad ( I have never tasted such a yummy salad in any other state!), khaman, dhokla, muthia or kachori served with green chutney and sweet chutney, keri no ras ( seasonal), is lip smacking.

I travel often to Gujarat and insist on eating only Thali here.

5. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Yeh Vaidehi,

Do You know 'Tip-Top' has come up with a hotel loaded with lodging and boarding facility on the Thane Highway!! Yes, they have kept one floor open for the Multi Cuisine Restuarant and with a board, "Thali Available".

I have often eaten here and loved the unlimited supply of food and the chaas too, their kichdi kadi topped other dishes.

The Tip Top restaurant near the station also had counter for chaats and ice-creams, the pani puri we have here is difficult to get anywhere else around!!! I also enjoy their Dosa -Plaza!!

6. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear foodie friends,

What a bunch of kindred souls! I love the Gujju thali. Have eaten in Swagath in New Marine Lines during my engagement days. Sadly, a full Gujju platter has not come my way since then. My mami is Gujju Jain, so I get to eat a lot of the food, and learn how to make them too. And the food is so light on the stomach, I always tend to overeat. I regret an opp I missed during the first month of my marriage.The famous Gujarathi cook and garden expert, Urvashi Thackeray ran a course on a full Gujju thali recipes and demonstration. I could not attend that then,hopefully some day.

7. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Gujarathi food brings back fond memories. Love the oondhiyo,khaman,Jalebi and the unforgettable kadi. I love the fact that its tasty and after eating a good amount ,its still feels not very heavy.

8. ShrutiR

ShrutiR New IL'ite

Hello everybody, thanks for writing in. I'm turning into a full fledged Gujarati who just love their food. Eating out is the favourite passtime here. I agree the food is wonderfully delicious. Has any body any ideas on some good Gujarati recipe books?

Have a Happy New Year and reach for your dreams!:)

9. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Shruti,

Now that you are in the heartland of Gujju food, I suggest, you try out cookery classes in Ahmedabad. My aunt lives there and she says there are some good ones. Some dishes like khandvi come better when we see a demo and practise it. Did you try adadiyopak? Amazing! Even the undhiyo I make improved after a friend showed me step by step. If you attend any classes, can you please share the recipes with us here? THanks and enjoy!

10. jaymg

jaymg Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I remember driving to Khandala to eat Gujju food at a roadside restaurant . Lip smacking. The other place was Preetam Dabba in Dadar. Long time ago Sigh