1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The mushy mess one can create!!! True, but unbelievable!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Chitvish, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Disclaimer - this post is written not in retaliation, but in lighter vain. If Ms X or Ms Y takes it personally, I am not responsible.

I read a post by one of our most reverend members on her achievement in the kitchen, based on her affinity towards vermicelli!! I wonder whether she carried the affinity far too much!

Cup size for two?? I never give
    Serves “x” etc
    because, in most houses, breakfast is served along with fresh fruits and a juice/porridge.
    My standard measurement, in general, is a measuring cup – colour, design no bar.

My finished dishes are presented attractively, inviting as much to the eye as to the palette, irrespective of the plastic, steel or designed cup one uses. I believe in the statement that we first eat visually. Rishis, Babajis will disagree, that does not bother me! Perhaps they eat more as a duty (do not mix it up with the word karma!) not to mention, their spouses will cook with less interest in presentation.:bonk

I now realise, I have to mention that one should remember that evaporation takes place when boiling starts, volume reduces etc!! Basic rules of science!! Practical to follow, not just theoritical.

Adding, rather, going on adding water?? :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl
    It is not a porridge!!
    Well, only shows newbies take cooking for granted forgetting that it is a science where you have to pay your attention beside concentration. I give precise measurements more with youngsters in mind and well, all my efforts are in vain:rant
    I am very sure, oil was not added twice, once for tempering and once for roasting semiya!! That makes the upma gummy, oh, no, not yummy.
    That is likely to cause “mish-mash-mush”!!:crazy

A slight dose of over confidence??? No, no, no, I should not pass harsh judgements on our new and young reverend members.:bowdown
    Well, though I have posted close to 4,000 recipes, I realise I have
    a l---o—n—g way to go in making newbies deliver ‘correct goods”!!

However old I grow, there is still more to learn and correct myself! I accept it with all humility :yes:

:thankyou2:

14 people like this.

2. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear ChithuMa...
    What you say is absolute truth...

My DH is one in this category

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Wow, chithmam, that was a real bang post..

no comments on the recipes, but some of them forget to correct, the as shown before posting and never give credit to the source from where they copy, nothing personal..(maybe i need to add the disclaimer down,..)

i learnt measuring from you. i taught the same to both the kids..and now i have downloaded and installed the apps in V's mobile .

And if i have progressed from eyeball measurements to spoons, cups and gms , you were the inspiration..

On learning, i learn looking at the amazing presentaions of those small pinto size kids on masterchef junior which both C and S watch faithfully..

Welcome back.. i am sure you are rejuvenated and have loads of recipes to share..

P.S..on the context of mushy mess , one of my friend tells me she sees some video posted on a food blog, where more than the cooking, the emphasis is on the huskiness of the presenters voice, the dress, and the expressions like pouting the lips, giving a model like stance...seriously a cooking video in par with a walking on the ramp..yet to see it though..maybe she took the saying good food is the way to a man's heart to a higher plane..I am going :hide::hide:

2 people like this.
  4. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

my dear C,

A hearty welcome back.:)

believe me, I honestly thought this was going to be a mushy mushy romance rekindled from your long stay at maikka so rushed in here..you disappointed me, I must say:wink:

but LOVELY to see you again ..aapeke aane se is forum, phir se chamak ne lagi hai

However old I grow, there is still more to learn and correct myself! I accept it with all humility

Awww that was so typical of you.. I remember being awed by reading somewhere in your column" if you think I can serve you better let me know and I shall do so " and that has remained in my head as a lesson in humility.:thumbsup:cheers

1 person likes this.
  5. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear Chith,

[​IMG][​IMG]hope you had a nice vacation. True ,we know you post your recepies with utmost care, new bies like us tend to change the color, texture, taste unintentionally and finally it urges us to decide a new name before anyone questions us.

Though i always land at your recepies section if i wanted to try new,but never did i mention anywhere about it and the only reason is, it will be difficult for anyone to believe it :):hide:

My long time goal is to post in IL about my culinery skills but you see there are so many obstacles on my way always whenever it comes to cooking :bonk

:bowdownto you chithu ma

1 person likes this.
  6. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear SM
    Nice to see you back in snippet. And that too with semiya that is what I have learnt from your recipe,:) now it never get sticky:hide: or I land up in lumps:bonk
    It is just perfect just becoz of you:)

7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Mrs.C, this brought a smile! I have a feeling their spouses are just content that the rishis are eating - they are being generous not to feed them 'ghaas phoos' but actually cook, unlike some of us who like cooking and presenting it well, for we are happy to be surrounded by people who appreciate both :)

All of us know what a treasure trove your recipe section is I have always been drawn to not just to presentation, simplicity of what needs to be done but the ingredients used as well. I remember wondering about 'orange peel' , 'pomegranate' in rasam? Yes I do lean towards traditional yet exotic variations and don't forget simplicity! I do follow the recipe to the T - I do not trust MY culinary skills Mrs.C :)

That poor lady must be thinking of presentation too....just must have mistaken herself for the food :)

You talking about Upma Mrs.C has me all drooling and craving! No one enjoys it much in my house so not eateor made in ages! This morning I feel, oh what the heck! Let me just make it for me and eat and that is what I shall do.....after logging off :)

8. omsrisai

omsrisai IL Hall of Fame

Chitra Ma...

This was a nice snippet and i love to prepare your recipes but due to my time been spent with my LO on weekends i am not able to do.

Need to restart doing your recipes at home

9. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

:confused2::confused2: Mish- Mash-Mush....sounds familiar...but cannot remember exactly. :confused2:

:hide: Oops.......I got it..... I got it........ the first upma I made as a new bride.

In my defence...If only I had known about your blogs then......

1 person likes this.
  10. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Buns, ditto with mine! :biggrin2:
    I pat myself on my back for my "never say die" attitude in trying out new recipes, in spite of his "non-encouragement!!" I do it for my own creative pleasure :)