1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Mumbai I knew

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

The Mumbai I knew

I was born and brought up in Mumbai,and married too there.The first half of my years 27,were spent in Mumbai,and the other 27 in jaipur.I have very fond memories of Mumbai.

I was born in Ulhasnagar,and then we shifted thru Ghatkopar, Sion,Chembur,finally settling in Worli,where my Mom and brothers are still there.Mumbai these days is very crowded,the traffic a nightmare,but when i talk of the Seventies,it was heaven.Bus Stops we used to stand in line,and the buses used to stop at Stops,not like now when they just dont stop and stop at the signals,where people get down.A friend of mine used to stand for hours at the Opera House Bus Stop,where no one knew him,and he was in the habit of rushing with the crowd for the bus,but with no intention of getting in the bus.but to pinch a few bottoms in the crowd.This was his idea of thrills. He got thrashed a few times, which he richly deseved.

Theatres were excellent,and exciting.Just as u ladies love to bargain for fruits and vegetables,we friends used to love standing for extra tickets,asking every pretty girl passing by, "Any extras ?",and haggling with the black marketers over the rates.Most good movies used to be housefull from day one.Sterling Cinema used to have the underground parking,very steep ramp,and while coming out after the movie,my Fiat could not climb the ramp with the friends inside,and i had to tell them to Get off the Car, only then it could climb up.And it was embarrassing,as other cars were lined up after mine,and honking away impatiently.

I have seen movies like "Danger diabolik",( the orignal of the Amitabh Zanjeer), in Rex Cinema,in the bylanes behind VT Station,as also a cinema house called Radio.I dont know if these still exist.And Grant Road had the best assortment of Cinemas like Super (where Shaildendra the Raj Kapoor Lyrcist used to sell Tickets at the counter),.Good Time Pass.And there was Alexendra, the famous Theatre, whose Gatekeepers used to translate the English movie name into Hindi(they had the bosses permission).

Their Translation of the Bond movie Goldfinger was very funny,see if it makes sense "Sone ki Ungli,ne kiya Bahut Khujli" !Another Bond movie called "Thunderball" was "Barish Ayee,Hua Thunder"Picture dekhne Aaoo Ander ".Of course this theatre,alongwith Moti,Taj,Silver, were infested with pimps and prostitutes,and i have been privileged to have them as my companions besides me.How many of u can boast of such an august company !GrantRoad where these theatres are situated is a red light area,so these people sittingnext to you is inevitable.

Trains were less crowded than now,i could comfortably get in and get a seat then.Take a Miday for a buck and sit and read the gossip.But i could never buy a ticket as there used to be a line of dozen guys for the tics,so i travelled without a Tic always.I knew no one would dare enter a 3rd class compartment and check.As i used to get down, i would go and stand besides the TT at the gate,insde the platform and keep looking at my watch,as though waiting for someone,and as soon as the TT got busy with a guy checking his ticket,I used to quietly slip out.I used to wait to be caught once,so that i pay the fine,and have a clean consience,but tht time never came.If i add interest for all these years,im sure the amount now that i have to pay will run into thousands if not lakhs.

After 8 pm, driving was a pleasure,we used to go for night movies,and my rickety fiat could notch up 60 kms speed,and from Worli to excelsior we could reach in 25 mins flat,a distant dream these days.And the lovers,who can forget them.Worli Sea Face,used to have Cars lined up,with the boss and secretary combo, Bf Gf, or god knows other combos.We friends used to get in my car,and we would go and park behind a car with action.We could see in the dark just two heads close to each other,and suddenly one head dissappearing,and we could imagine all sort of things.I would suddenly open the head lights,which would catch the couple by surprise,cruise besides their car,and my friends would give them a few choicy bad words,and run away to another victim.

Mumbai, dear Mumbai, Imiss those railway trains and the crowds, the pee fuilled swimming pools,the flies over the Sugarcane Juice,those free rides in the trains,and the prostitutes besides me in the cinema hall.Oh to be young and Gay again.Will God ever listen to me !

KAMAL MAHTANI

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2008
    vjbunny likes this.

2. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji...

I think I have read this blog earlier.. is it a repeat?....but still...I will read it again and put my FB a little later.....I justed wanted to clarify if it is the same...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  3. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

Nice to read about Aamchi Mumbai in the morning. Dont worry Kamalji you can leave Mumbai for not just 27 but 50 years and still find it very similar to what it was.You would always experience the sense of deja vu . Yes we still are proud of our over crowded local trains where the husbands hang out of it on the way to work while the wives at home are praying for their safety., You still have Sulabh Sauchalayas that are anything but Sulab!! You still finds roads occupied by pedestrians with no place to drive.

But yes theres no place like MUMBAI.The ever friendly people , the insomniac city, the unity in diversity, the celebrations, the overcrowded theatres, the fame and fortune,.Wowow!! That would remain ,The flavour of Mumbai. Mumbai showcases the true essence of living to the fullest!!

Loved your description of this place and I can imagine how much you miss it, but why worry you'll be here shortly na?

Regards,
    Devika

4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Saraswathi,

Yes this is a repost, and u have not commented before.I just got 3 hits last time, and this was posted in the Articles and Middles section.

You must have read it, but not commented on this one.Looking forward to see if u have liked it.Reards.kamal

I have edited some parts.

5. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Kamalji,

Mumbai has changed with concrete roads, swanky bus-stops, theatres are demolished for multiplexes, our very own BEST bus is being slowly being replaced by volvo buses with more seating capacity and lower stairs for senior citizens to board in, there are many BEST buses running with full AC, you will find black and yellow cabbies along with smart cool cabs (mostly Tata Indica ), more of dumpers, trailers on the roads, trendy bikes, motorist racing with full speed trying to avoid our "Mamu", the brown colour of the trains is replaced by blue, seats are getting more trendier, new advanced locomotive is introduced, speed of train has increased with the demolition of huts on the line of rail tracks, decent "Sulabh Sauchalaya" almost everywhere ( do not ask me how clean it is! I am yet to use them!), Pizza Huts, Mac Donalds, delicious Rajasthani chutney with hot samosas is replaced by swanky snack corners selling more of chaats and vadas, batata vadas with lasoon chutni, bhajiyas, pohe, sheera, sabudana wada are all still there across the counter, lotterry ticket vendors, huge shopping malls selling from pencil to Invertors and other Electrical Gadgets, internet ticket bookings to watch your favourite movies and more.

Shivaji Park is still fresh with couples hiding behind the swimming pool walls from the torch of the Hawaldar, Worli Sea face still has the bfs, gfs and various combos hitting it well, Nariman Point shore has the glamour and romance to its credit, the footpath is laid well so that joggers can jog with peace, (we miss the bhel walas and makai wallas as they are banned from selling them on the street), Juhu beach is much cleaner, Most of the roads have become One-Way so we have to be careful while driving, the mad rush at all times in the train, the fear of boarding from Kalyan, Dombivli, Thane, Ghatkopar, Kurla, Dadar, CST (VT previously) is still on as we do not get even a toe inch place to board the train, the same fear is at Churchgate to Virar, Western line is over crowded although the frequency is better than the Central line, Harbour line is in the same dilemma, no fast trains.
    Railways:
    Malad and Goregaon have become junctions.
    Train service is extended from CST to Vashi to Panvel to Khopoli.
    New route from Thane to Vashi is running with full zeal work to extend it to Panvel is on. so that people who travel via Konkan Railway can sigh relief. You have to see it to believe it, each station from Thane to Belapur is unique and has its own style. Its trendy and most of the shootings take place in Jui Nagar Station and Kopar Khairane Railway Station. Remember, the movie Life in a Metro. It has been shot at Kopar Khairane Railway station. We privileged always have a dekho of our top heroes and heorines. I could not recongnize Shilpa Shetty, she was looking so ordinary, like a thin ladder with all the make up.

Mumbai rocks, Kamalji, once a Mumbaikar always a Mumbaikar.

Hope you did not get bored reading my FB.

6. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

I too have fond memories of Mumbai, having grown up there and lived till my marriage.
    The trains, shopping in Dadar, VT station , Chembur , Mahalaxmi temple and the never ending rains---all have etched loving memories in my heart.

I second Mal's quote--Once a Mumbaikar, always a Mumbaikar.
    Although it has become very crowded, come to think of it, which city has not,
    I like the look and feel of Vashi, of all the suburbs we had lived, because of its quaint look.

Having been abroad for two decades, I still find a little excitement when I visit Mumbai. even it is for just a few days!

7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Devika,

Yes once u live in Mumbai u will get addicted to it, for sure.Well I am now very comfortable in Jaipur, but when I am in Mumbai I make the most of it.I love the Vada Pao’s, anything on the roads, even the sugarcane juice on the roads, which I had this time for 2/- a glass I still cant believe it to be so cheap, wonderful.

And u get good fishes all around the year, which we don’t here.And so many things about Mumbai I just cant describe.

Thanks and Regards.kamal

8. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

Namaste. Lovely writeup on my Maheri. It made my day!

Oh yes, talk of Mumbai, the city named after Mumbadevi, given in dowry from one royal family to another...the list goes on.

Glad to know you are from Ulhasnagar. Kamalji Ulhasnagar was, is & always be a Sindhunagar. The summer time from MahaShivratri till Cheti Chand used to be chaotic with every Sindhi auntie making the year's supply of the famous Sindhi Papad on terraces.

Were you a member of USA? I mean Ulhasnagar Sindhi Assoc? Do you still visit Japani Market? These Chinese are nothing. The local lads in Ulhasnagar got duplicate brands for nothing.

Mumbai has lost the theaters. It is now multiplexes and shopping malls.. I was told that even Juhu has lost it's famous chaat shacks. I was told I need to now go to Elco Arcade. Too bad. I loved listening to the sound of the waves while having Pav-Bhaji & other chaats on the beach...

Reading this made me wish I could fly down. The first lights of Navi Mumbai & then the actual runway, wow the feeling of stepping on Aamchi Mumbai's ground is In describable..

The long wait for baggage, the customs everything is worth it. Just to visit my Mumbai..

Regards,

Corallux

9. kanaka

kanaka Bronze IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

For me it's love hate realtionship. I don't know to describe the Maximum City. It has lost its charm. As lakshmi says I feel excited to see mumbai. But few hours after I want to do some shopping and go back to my slow paced Goa. I find myself a stranger to mumbai. Hardly people know me. But I enjoy interacting with Mumbaikars. kanaka

10. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Yesterday I got to watch a DVD " Aamir" that takes the viewers through areas of Mumbai I have never seen.