1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Monkeys of Jaipur

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

The Monkeys of Jaipur

I and my wife shifted to Jaipur from Bombay,soon after marriage,for business reasons,in 1980,and since then happily settled here.

We stayed in a rented bunglow,where we stayed and also worked from,exporting garments.I soon made friends,but we did not know we have to put up with monkeys too.In mumbai u get to see them either in the zoo,or with a madari,but not inside your home.And we did not know that monkeys would be instrumental in us making friends with our neighbours,who now are like a part of our family.

They come once a week or so,no fixed day.And around 20 or more monkeys come in the neighbourhood,and are all over the place.Our first experience was very scary.I was sleeping,around 7 in the morning,and i hear a scream .I ran out to find my wife sobbing away,seems a monkey had entered the house from the front door,which she had left open after the milkman had gone.She went to the kitchen to make tea,and she sees a huge monkey,eating a cold mango from the fridge,and seeing her,snared his teeth,and ran away.Boy oh Boy.

Slowly we got used to it,since we had to live in Jaipur,and build our business.Our clothes used to dry on the wire in the garden,and these guys used to take some clothes and run away.And a neighbour a few houses away would come and ask the others,are these clothes yours?the monkeys must have dropped them in our house.And imagine if the giver is the male,and the clothes are your wifes undergarments!But thanks to the monekys,we neighbours became good friends,and everyone in the neighbourhood came to know what sizes are the other ladies in the neighbourhood,as we had to return too what the monkeys left over at our house.

A neighbours daughter,a teenager then,had just returned from abroad with nice blouses.These monkeys used to tear her blouses to shreads.They never tore any ones else but hers.We used to tease her that maybe this guy was a jilted lover of yours in the past birth and taking revenge now.

I had a pomerian Dog called Naughty,and he used to bark incessantly at the monkeys whenever they came.Once a monkey was sitting on our parapet wall,eating the leaves of our rubber plant.The monkeys tail was hanging down,and Naughty ran towards him,this guy cooly takes up his tail,and continues to eat.I was inside and came to find out why is Naughty creating such a ruckus.

Naughty must have barked for about 5 mins or so,standing on the wall,but not quite reaching the top,where the moneky was.Suddenly I see the monkey getting irritated with Naughty,and just bent down and gave two tight slaps to Naughty.It happened so suddenly that we did not have the time to react.And naughty quickly ran and hid under the swing .Later on it became a big joke in the house,that naughty was slapped by a monkey.

A friend of ours,staying in a huge joint family,had his own tales to tell.He was staying on the third floor,his window cooler had gone for repairs,and there was a big hole in the wall..One morning he was sleeping and he put his arm around his wife,and sleepily kissed her.He felt a bit odd,that why does she have so much hair.He remembered she had just gone to the bueaty parlour recently.Then his hand began to spread all over,as is usual,and he suddenly remembered his wife had gone to her maike,and he woke up with a start.And what does he see?A monkey(male or female even he dosnt remember) sleeping right next to him.Boy did he run?must have been the fastest mile anyone could have run.

KAMAL MAHTANI

1 person likes this.

2. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Dear kamalji,

haha....good one ...anyway by now u must be used to the monkeys...I too raise a toast to u...may u have a happy life with your family friends and BL..and long live your humour and wit...
    regards
    Mindi

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji,

I pray to god to preserve your sense of humour..really imagining the friends tales..omg....

I think by now you are used to seeing them as a part of your everyday life, you are able to make a blog out of that cooly....

So there is no privacy naam ki cheez all credit to bandar miya??

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji,
    Nice humour...you and your neighbours became friends because the monkeys exchanged your/their clothes....:idea
    My mother explained to me one day that a monkey was throwing some sticks at her, when she went outside for some work...she was wondering why...then she came to know that many days back she threated him to be out of her way, with a stick...Big Laugh

sriniketan

5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mindian,

This is an old post of mine, from which I started humour.Previous to this, all my posts were very serious ones, about life and God etc, which bored everyone to sleep, and no wonder 10 of my posts went without a single comment.

Then I changed track, and this was my first attempt at humour, and it turned out a stupendous hit, way beyond my imagination.From the monkeys, the present day Kamalji was born.

Thanks for the nice words, cheers to that.Regards.kamal

6. lahy15

lahy15 Silver IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

That was really a very nice humourous post ... I enjoyed reading your post and by now, you should have got used with those Monkeys, even your Naughty too ... Thanks for sharing here ... :)

7. padmavathi m

padmavathi m Silver IL'ite

Oye Kamalji...........

Aapne kamaal kar diya, is post se, What is this ji ? You have made me laugh to the extent of tears in my eyes.........my 2 daughters came running asking "mama any joke, why are you laughing like this..........then i had to read the whole post to them...............they too were laughing:whistle:whistle:whistle:whistle.............like anything, after my sickness for the past 2 months, i think today i laughed like i used to laugh before............

Thank you so much for sharing these witty incidents in IL..................hope to see you with many posts like this............

love
    padma

8. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamalji ji,

Had a hearty laughter Big Laugh.

Even I had monkey experiences in my College Days. A particular season we used to have lot of monkey visitors to our Hostel. They come from the mountains behind our hostel. As we keep fruits and other eatables at our rooms, they enjoy eating different items.

But we used to have lots of fun with the little ones. The little ones become friendly very easily and they eat only if we feed them, otherwise they do not touch the food items. But big ones are really scary and they just don't mind us.

You made me recollect my college days.

9. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

That was totally hilarious monkey kahani!!

My God the last one about your friend was the crown of jokes . Poor friend!! I can just imagine his speed of running.

Actually i too experienced this monkey episode for the first time when I first visited my brother in Baroda. My God it was very similar to what Harshaji went through.I wasnt adviced about this monkey business and the moment I landed at their place I went to their terrace, and opened the door only to have a monkey jump right in front of me.Boy i screamed so loud and it took my bro a while to let me know that it was a monkey .I was so furiousRant with him for not telling me before and he and his wife had a hearty Big Laughand later i joined in too. The monkey would be everywhere and now ive kinda got used to seeing monkeys when i go over there.

I must say Kamalji this was a really hilrious piece and enjoyed reading it. Nice monkey antics quoted here!!

Regards,
    Devika

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  10. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

Namaste Kamalji,

This post proves that Jhulelalji is certainly with you. That is why he sent the monkeys to get out your hidden talent-making people laugh. Even if Yamraj is waiting with hot oil, it will be for frying pakodas etc with your BL.

Ha ha, that would be very funny if a lady shows off her new "Imported stuff" Only to have it torn into shreds by the Vanar Sena, the other ladies would snicker: Serves her right for showing off.

I feel they were bribed by the local Undy company so that they could do more business.

I had problems with these cute creatures when I moved to an apartment in Bangalore. They came in the afternoon & ate up the fruits & even drank up the milk on the gas. It was a total Phal-Ahaar for them. I was consoled by my dad who was staying with me that it could be a Rishi's aatma come home for some food. OK but why mine?

It could have been true Kamalji as within a month, I get my PR visa for OZ.

Monkeys are cute. Loved the little ones. They were so friendly. The bigger ones were a threat. They scratched & screeched.

Just as naughty was slapped, so was my pet. He never came out till the monkeys left.
    Added to this, my orthodox neighbours fed them all sorts of food if they landed on a Saturday. Their explanation : They were feeding Hanumanji & thus pleasing Planet Saturn.

Surprisingly Kamalji, their Seva ended with just feeding & not cleaning the "prasad" of their feast. They would call out to the watchman's wife to wash & clean the place.

But Kamalji, I would really thank those monkeys. They got out the comedian in you. Apologies to Harshaji as she must have got a heart attack with those things in her kitchen.

As for your friend, I am sure you must have ended up sleeping with lights on at night to confirm his wife's presence.

Regards,

Corallux