1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Millionaire Next Door

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Nov 18, 2007.

1. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Kamalji,

Another interesting topic.

These are just a few of the things that we are talking of about the so called millionaires.

Seeing them, today even small timers have started to lead a spendthrift lives....as the Indian economy is booming and so many sectors opening up with good pay-package, everyone wants a lavish lifestyle and spend every penny that they earn. We are into IT and have about 200 members in our orgn. I am sure about 50% of them are broke by the 20-22 of the month. Here even a fresher earns a minimum of 15K per month. In their mathematics there is nothing like savings.

Interestingly in our Organisation the top management are all tee-totallers and mid-management are all into smoking, boozing, partying, gizmos etc. and hence they are always running short of finance.

We have a saying in gujarathi "bhanya pan ganya nahi" it means everyone has bookish education but not the education of leading a good life.

Moral values are diminishing.....there is no time & finance management. I think i am straying away from the subject.

Roopa.

2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Veda,

Somebody rightly said

MONEY SHOULD BE IN THE BANK, NOT IN YOUR HEAD

So why should the life style change with more money coming in.If i am comfortable in the Cooler, why go for a AC.If the old car is running well, and giving good average, why change it for a new one?

I dont have to give u money, man to see if ur lifestyle changes.I know it wont changebonk

HAHA.Do read the bood.its damn good.Regards.kamal

Roopa,

No u are not straying, ur comments are so apt.Yes, its true, people thjese days are living beyond their means, most are in debt to the credit cards and banks.I agree with what u say.The saying is beautiful.

thanks for taking time out, and giving yr valuable views and comments.Regards.kamal

3. padmasowrirajan

padmasowrirajan Senior IL'ite

Dear Kamalji
    I haven't read the book, but i get a picture of it from your review. Probably will get it some time.
    Its true that contentment is the only solution to be happy and make others happy. We make ourselves happy and of course the shop keepers too, but when we go for something of higher and flashy product, our minds tend to mingle with only those kind of people. We wont recognize people for what they are, but by what they have and what they wear. We look down upon those who don't meet our expectations. Its prevailing in this society more now than before. We attune ouselves to people of our grades or standards. It isn't wrong to mingle with someone of higher standards or status, but they would never make others feel comfortable, to say the least. We will always be conscious about our ways with them and wont be spontaneous in our actions.
    I completely feel out of place when i go for shopping to Life style, west side or any of those fancy malls. I dont do much shopping there though. Just window shopping.
    This reminds me of the Kanakadara slokam of Bhagavadpada sri adi shakarar. He was asking biksha to a very poor woman who didn't even have a piece of cloth to cover her.She gave a amla fruit to him by just extending her hands through a door slightly ajar. He was overcome with pity on the woman and recited Kanakadara slokam. Golden amla fruits started falling frm her roof by the grace of Lord Lakshmi.
    If Adi Shankarar had wanted it for himself, he could have recited it before and didn't have to go for biksha, but he never did that.
    So, the contentment was never scarce on our Mother India's land. Only that people are influenced more by the media and media artists(pardon me!).
    My husband, though is IT guy, he is totally different. He doesn't spend a single buck without thinking. He doen't use a credit card at all. I am really surprised at how he could be like that, when his father was just an opposite. He started an account when he was in 11th and after i got married to him and went to the bank with him, i was surprised how they treated him. He was more like those employee's pet. He is a diehard frugal. But doesn't stop me from spending though(of course out of his pocket!)
    Hope i have not deviated from the subject.

4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Padma,

What wonderful comments.You could have written a blog on it by itself.Like u, I too just go windowshopping when I am bored.Things at lifestyle are so expensive.

This year I thought of changing my winter wear, as I have not bought any new sweaters for the last 4 years.But on wearing them before discarding I realized they aer still good,so I am keeping them again for this season.

Good yr husband is frugal.This will come in very handy when he retires.At that time the financial need is very great, as we get more sick and money is needed for medicines too.

Thanks once again and regards.kamal

5. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

What can I say about why some feel like showing off - maybe for attention, boost ego. Maybe insecurity of some sort?

I can think of acquaintances belonging to both categories the show offs and the nots. So I guess it takes all kinds of people to make the world! Sorry for deviating from the subject.

Anyway, I plan to get the book and read it as soon as I get a chance.

Regards
    Sindhu

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji,

Good post. had written a long reply as the second fb...posted it..don't know what happened...so lost interest did not post...but today again got tempted....

In my life, i have seen both the sensible and flashy ones...the sensible ones do have one foot always grounded. the flashy ones they have to show off....I know of a lady whose husband recently landed a good job ..she goes on saying to everybody that her husband earns 40k .and flashes a new mobile, a new vehicle,a new hairstyle...(whatever)....and also quotes that nobody else earns that much..in the vicinity....poor lady....

I am frugal by nature..if i can do with a simple thing..i will not even look at other things even if they are tempting....my MIL used always taunt at me..even if veda becomes a crorepathi you are going to be the same miserly kanjoos...it is not about kanjoosi...i spend only if i feel justified....
    i cannot change.....

Roopa,

I agree with you about the spending habits and also disagree with you. i know of people who are very systematic in investing...we have cousins, cousins kids who are on their way to becoming millionaires in their own steam...

My children are saving..both of them are 12 and 9 and they have an bank account for the past 3 years....

7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Shanti,

nice to know u are frugal,like me.Even i cant spend on myself, though i can spend on others, it is a pleasure.What is there to flash these days ? Everyone is spending, and if u buy something today, tomm yr neighbour gets a better one.So this race will go on.

Thanks and regards.kamal

sindhu,

Yes we have all kinds as our friends and acquaintces.Thanks.kamal

8. Noorie

Noorie New IL'ite

Hello Sirjii

He has given me enough to warm me, but not enough to Burn me.

Its so much true. Thanx that he has given me enough to warm me

Bye

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Noorie,

Nothing is enough in life, even if one gets the I Phone today, he or she will soon be unhappy after 6 months and want another model.There is no end in life to our wants.

I have all that I need, maybe not all that I want.HAHA.Im happy with the basics that the lord has given me.

Regards.kamal