1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Man who swallowed HIM

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by gopalan1937, Nov 5, 2008.

1. gopalan1937

gopalan1937 Silver IL'ite

Year 1976. Time around 8 AM. Emergency wing of a large Govt general hospital down south. I was a trainee anesthetist then. A middle aged man was wheeled inside He was in great distress. He had labored breathing and his voice was only in whispers.

Relatives nearby when questioned stated all was well till two hours back. After a hurried breakfast, he hastened on foot to catch a bus to nearby town. Within five minutes of leaving the house, he seemed to have developed a chocking sensation and breathing problems and returned back home. Alarmed relatives rushed him to the hospital, where I first examined him.

An alert was sounded and the area became a beehive of activity. Bed side X rays and an ECG were taken .Oxygen was administered as an emergency measure. X-Ray revealed the presence of a tiny foreign body in the throat . Patient was immediately transferred to EOT (emergency operation theatre), where an Ear, Nose and Throat surgeon attempted direct visualization of throat and removal of the foreign body. Since the patient’s breathing became worse, surgeon had to abort the procedure and to save the life of the patient he did what is known as “Tracheotomy” (an opening in the wind pipe through the neck). Patient showed temporary relief.

Those days scans were not available and we had to depend only on X-Rays. Repeat X-Rays were taken. The foreign body seemed to have shifted its position to chest cavity. Though the breathing improved, he was in agonizing pain. Team of surgeons and physicians reexamined him and opined that the foreign body was stuck in food pipe. Attempted removal of the same through what is known as endoscopic procedure (simple procedure) failed as the foreign body was found to be anchored to walls of food pipe.

Later in the operation theatre a team of surgeons led by a senior thoracic surgeon opened up his chest cavity and removed the foreign body from the food pipe. Patient stayed in the hospital for a total period of three months before he was finally discharged well and return to normal activity.

Imagine our surprise when we examined the foreign body after giving it a thorough wash and rinsing under a stream of water. It was a metallic icon of CHILD KRISHNA on all fours with a crown on HIS head. The tiny icon seemed to have found its way into the morning breakfast (uppuma) and our dear patient must have gulped the uppuma in a state of hurry.

The immediate thought that occurred to me was the parody that HE, who had opened his mouth to his mother Yashodha to show her the world, was now imprisoned in the mouth (throat) of one of HIS own devotees.

Gopalan

Attached Files:

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Gopalansir,

I really enjoyed to know that it was krishna. yesterday my kids were reading out to me an item about a boy who swallowed a needle, and the surgery and the trauma.

I have heard of tamarind seeds, buttons, and all in the nose and ear.

3 months for a procedure that has become simpler with scan and other things..imagine the trauma. I think that is why we should always chew our food well, he would have recognised a foreign particle immediately...

these days lot of people just gobble up food, in a hurry...maybe this is an lesson for people like them..

enjoying your op experiences...

3. padmavathi m

padmavathi m Silver IL'ite

Gopalansir,

oh, it was terrible to read this incident...............but a relief when i came to know that it was kutty krishna, but whatever it is, a foreign body is a foreigner into our body isnt it whether its krishna or shiva................
    people are always hasty in everything ................. they dont value their physical body until they are into trouble.......................

4. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Mr. Gopalan,

Thank God that Lord Krishna was freed from the jail he was in for few hours. Hope the patient's throat would have become very holy after HIS visit.Big Laugh

Reading this, I remebered my elder daughter putting a dry grape into her nostril and the younger one an arecanut into her nostril that too at an unearthly hour where we do not get any ENT's. Luckily both got the foreign body extracted before any serious repercussion could set in. From these incident I have been extra careful with them.

Thanks for enlightening us with Lord Krishna's escapdes.

5. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Gopalan
    Its interesting to read what you write here. Never heard of an idol however small being swallowed whole.
    The most important point that shines here is the patient recovered well and all is well.
    Maybe Krishna did look after the devotee inside and out?!
    Thanks for sharing.

6. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear Sir

what a grueling expereince it must have been for him, his family and the team of doctors.
    I have been told by an acquaintance that she had swallowed a coin as a child and it is still inside. I wondered whether it is possible?
    Do write more from your experiences.

7. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Gopalan Sir,
    I am still wondering how Kutty Krishna went into his throat...
    maybe chewing was not done properly as told by shanvy..

Anyway...he was well at the end...after so much of agony to him and his family...
    So be careful in having food and chew them to its fullest..is the lesson we learn from it.

on a lighter note...as God is everywhere that's why He found a place in the uppma too...

sriniketan

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  8. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear gopalan sir,

enjoyed reading your experience but cannot imagine how small that icon must have been for someone to swallow..heard of coins and needle but the "lord himself"..is surely the first time...
    Mindi

9. gopalan1937

Dear Ms.Shanti,
    The news in Hindu about the needlle in the lung prompted me to share my experience .Thanks for your feed back.
    Gopalan

10. gopalan1937

Dear Ms Padma,
    I remember the saying "Haste makkes waste". A human life was on the verge being lost.Nowadays it is all fast life,and fast food.What to do ?

Gopalan