The Macro-Vision of the Gita:

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Mar 29, 2007.

1. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

dear Chith,
    Now a days I enjoy replying a little late to your posts. The discussions and reactions are amazing. The various points raised by our friends here is a small Gita class itself. I am enjoying this. I liked your saying that problems never change but our attitude can make it a sport.We should always look for solutions rather than brood over the problem.I also find that world becomes a very happier place if we start thinking of our responsibility to creation.
    Regards,
    Meenu

2. mkthpavi

mkthpavi Senior IL'ite

Dear Chithra and all..

Thought of sharing some thoughts with you all on Bhagvad Gita. My husband and I have been watching the TV serial episodes of Mahabharata on Rajshri.com. India's #1 Broadband Entertainment Destination. website. Yes, this is the serial in Hindi which was sooooo popular when it was running few years back :)

We have watched all the episodes and completed it just yesterday (94 episodes watched over a 2 month period). It has been an overwhelming sensation and feeling after watching all these episodes. I was happy, sad, angry, thoughtful, enlightened and confused at the same time.

Lord Krishna is the key person in the whole story. He literally 'guides' the Pandavas to do what they had to do, in order to win the war and in turn establish the victory of Dharma over Adharma (and in the process, get back Hastinapur and avenge the vastraharan of Draupadi). But what all did He make them do? Pitamahar Bheeshma, Dronacharya, Daanveer Karna were all weakened and slayed by seemingly 'kapat' - ' fraudulent means' . It seemed right since all 3 of them, despite being great men themselves chose to fight for Duryodan who symbolized Adharma. Hence, technically, they had to pay the penalty.

So, overall, it seems to me that Lord Krishna through his role in Mahabharata and his Gitopadesh simply points out that one has to be on Dharma's side come what may. But what beats me is this - is it OK to adopt incorrect means in order to ensure Dharma's victory? Isn't this a contradiction by itself?

Also, I am wondering whether the Pandavas and Draupadi could have actually 'relished' / 'savoured' their victory which involved the deaths of so many lives - from their side and from Duryodan's side and this includes death of close family and friends !! Was it all worth it? Is it possible for human mind to enjoy 'such' a victory? Isn't it kind of a sadistic pleasure?

Chithra...when you have time, could you explain this to us, if possible in a modern life context where we are faced with multiple and difficult choices at every step in life?

Thanks and love
    Pavithra

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Meenu,
    Late? - no problem, but you have given the valid reason ( I hope, not an excuse? :wink: ).
    Varalotti used to say & now Cheeniya also says, that they love interactions best, to express their complete thoughts on the topic. This humble Chithra joins that elitist circle, only to endose this statement !

You are right. We cannot forever give excuses & evade the the responsibility we owe to the world at large.
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. Chitvish

Dear Pavithra,
    I read your query in detail.
    I am writing the introduction to the Gita, from various perpsectives, reading all of which, will answer most of your questions.
    The importance of atman has to be understood, as different from the physical body.
    Kindly continue the journey with me to understand the above statement. If after reading all, your doubts still persist, we will discuss in detail.
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. Chitvish

Re: PDF Files for Puja Formats & Shlokas

Dear All,
    I am attaching the pdf file for all the topics posted in my thread
    The Significant Features of our Indian Culture.

Friends, the entire credit goes to my young, enterprising, "ever willing " friend

kb 2000

who did the job in just one day.
    I do hope you will find this useful.

Dear kb 2000,
    Besides thanking you, I pray to God to bless you with Sarvajith this year !
    I cannot thank you enough, K.
    Love,
    Chithra.

Attached Files: