1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The lure to own a dream house/home???

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Shanvy, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

[justify]The lure to own a roof over the head (I loosely translated what used to be said thalai mela koorai those days) is present in almost every person I have seen. Though technically if you are intending to buy a flat/apartment, the roof over cannot be owned by you.
    [/justify]
    [justify]So what is it so special having an own house/flat. Some say it is an investment, some say it is a forced saving, though some of us may be already drowning the mortgages and repayment loan schedules.[/justify]
    [justify]
    I remember a visu movie, though the name eludes me where there is a character who promotes a piece of land, as near the coming airport, near the going to come best school, near the proposed bus stand, near area allotted for the hospital..(Feels familiar. that is ofcouse how most promoters are promoting the land today)[/justify]

[justify]The attraction to land has been there for so long, there have been fights, murders for the same. In the troubled times of today, I see lot of people struggling put up the payments towards loan. Sometimes, it leads me to think is it worth it.

My lure, though it was more a vow in my case, to own a roof, started with a small comment from one of our mutual friends, when I and Veda wanted to get married, that “I was better off than marrying somebody who did not have a roof over his own head”.
    And we successfully (read struggled, tortured) own one, it felt good to tell the friend so too, but that is another story, and I do not want to digress from want I am discussing here...

Every person has this dream of building a dream house and little do we realize, the things, the size or effects do not make it a home, it is only the people in it make it a home.[/justify]

I went ahead and brought a plot,
    to build the home I dreamt,
    the plans were drawn again and again
    the architect mumbled not again,
    the floor color i rummaged through,
    the taps models I googled thorough,

brick by brick the house came along,
    the balconies, sink and the walls,
    looked more like looking at your child grow,
    I was like the mother waiting for her to be born,

Should I plant a hibiscus or coconut,
    Should I have the door in west or east,
    Should I have the pooja in the north or east,
    the fire place, the toilets, the water source,
    articles on vaastu left me confused,

The house warming day came atlast,
    Every body praising over and over,
    I looked around, the curtains in place,
    the fire burning in the corner,
    the food in a platter,

Alas I realise, the building of a home,
    is a dream, I had to work upon,
    A house does not make a home,
    but the people who live within it...
    a house is a house until we make it
    home sweet home ...

So, did the owning the roof, lure you too??. Do you own a sweet home...??

2. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Shanthi, so thoughtful and wonderful write up about house and home.
    Yes, house, does not make a home, unless there is the ingredients for it, like love and compassion, among others..
    As soon as I started reading your blog, I found myself humming the famous duet by Jagjit-Chithra Singh...Ye tera ghar ye mera ghar...
    In that song, this lines are wonderful ..
    Jo Chaandni Nahin To Kya Ye Roshni Hai Pyaar Ki
    Dilon Ke Phool Khil Gaye To Fikr Kya Bahaar Ki
    Hamaare Ghar Na Aayegi Kabhi Khushi Udhaar Ki
    Hamaari Raahaton Ka Ghar Hamaari Chaahaton Ka Ghar
    Ye Tera Ghar...
    This lines touched me, when I heard it for the first time, during my school days...it still is close to my hearts.

Thanx for reminding me those beautiful lines with a cute blog from you.

3. kavitha nair 1

kavitha nair 1 New IL'ite

ya its so true.Each of us dream of a house before we do of anything else.In todays world the motto is we two,our two & their one house each.Even i dream of a small home with lot of flowers & pets which can act as my husbands studio,my kids playground & my pride.
    Thanks for waking from my reality to dream.

Kavitha

4. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shanthi
    Nice topic...
    Ya 1st house is a must you take loan and repay it as fast as possible but when you already have a home, and you go and take another loan to buy another house is stupidity.
    Yes you have ready cash in hand and you wish to buy some more property for investment sake or for your old age is fine. But taking loan for the 2nd and struggling in life, sacrificing in life i don't agree for all this.
    Yes every person should have a dream house, but you are right the home is made by the people who stay in that.
    Your write up followed by the lovely poem is awesome
    A home is not just made of bricks and mud and cement but with the people who stay in it.

5. dipti255503

dipti255503 New IL'ite

Hi, shanthi,constructions of our house is going on n i happen to read ur blog. u r so right we, the people living in the house can make it a home. even i loved " ye tera ghar ye mera ghar"

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

saras dear,

Thanks for chipping in here. It really pains me a lot when I see people struggling with the emi's and recession.

Thanks for reminding me the tera ghar yeh mera ghar..it is a wonderful ghazal with so much meaning...

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Kavitha,

Thanks for being here. wishing you to make your dream a reality without much hardships..

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

EQ,

such a piece of wisdom. these days lot of people just step into the illusion of having the big house, with everything is a symbol of status forgetting that being happy and without worries is more important.

Thanks for dropping in...

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Dipti,

congrats on your house. hope it comes as per your dream and you are able to make it home...

thanks for stopping by....

10. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Hi shanti
    Congratulations on being a house owner.
    Yes we all specially indians wish to have our own roof on our head Or a ek mahal ho sapno ka ( even our 2-3 BH home is our mahal ) & it is agreat feeling .