1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The lovely little Pink ribbon!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Beryl, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Beryl

Beryl Silver IL'ite

Finest Blog Winner - Fourth weekly pick for the month of October.

The lovely little Pink ribbon!!

On this breast cancer awareness month, I would like to share you my story about how our family walked along our mom’s side during her treatments. First of all, I would like to thank Indusladies Team for the BBBC campaign to bring awareness. Hope it will reach every woman to spread the word!

My mom knows how to self examine, and found the painless, lump in its earlier stage. But unfortunately our gynaecologist couldn’t make out it in its initial stage for which she asked my mom to follow treatment for fibroid. May be we didn’t want to hear the other side, we didn’t question her more.

Later again we noticed the increase in size and went to her again. She advised for FNA. We saw a pathologist, who performed a FNA (Fine needle aspirate), on the small lump. Unlucky we all, the result showed a false negative result. And we were happy to continue with the treatment. As the days passed, we got more and more suspicious; we thought to leave this gynaecologist, but to see a family friend, who was a surgeon. By that time, it has developed to a bigger lump of about 4cm.

The lump removed was examined and this subsequently showed that it was malignant. Next was to have breast muscles and lymph glands removal to see which stage it was on its malignancy. Unfortunate, it has spread to lymph also and had entered into second stage of breast carcinoma.

Our next decision was to decide where to be treated. My father was heart-broken and was unable to take any decisions. Being the eldest daughter, I had to decide. During my search, I had met some worst greedy doctors talking business to me. I was gathering all my strength when they were talking about the worse conditions of disease straight my face.

She had to start with ‘chemotherapy’ treatment after three months wait (surgery wound healing time). I had decided on a hospital near to our home, where a senior Oncologist, retired from the Govt. Medical College, who visited once in a week. If I had seen a God alive, it will be he!

The most difficult part of the Chemotherapy was hair fall problem. She lost all her hair within the first months of her treatment. The effect of it on the rest of the family was one of the most difficult parts of all of this. We all were devastated first.

One of the important factors of going through treatment is to carryon life, as a normal one! So we made her believe, she was not diagnosed breast cancer, but her medical results were confusive, so she has to undergo all the treatments to be on a safe side. But now she knows she HAD cancer.

Facing this phase of our life, made us grow closer to each other, with a new understanding of how lucky we all were, to meet all the challenges we faced with our love and support for each other. And now she is a survivor, who had learned to accept she HAD cancer. This lovely little pink ribbon is to bring awareness about breast cancer. It is in my mother’s honour.

View attachment 130192

2. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Beryl,

A beautiful narration. I could understand the pain which your family had to undergo. It was like I was going thru this alongwith you.

Good to know mom is better now.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

3. Meera34

Meera34 New IL'ite

Beryl, I really admire your family's and your own courage and togetherness. Thanks for posting this, it will give strength to a lot of us out there. I hope your mum is doing well and will continue to do so.

4. Beryl

Beryl Silver IL'ite

Thank you Lalitha and Meera for your comments and Wishes!! :)

5. Nigella

Nigella New IL'ite

Touched a nerve!

6. ramyaraja

ramyaraja Gold IL'ite

Beryl I think you lived my life.. My mom also had to undergo the same phase.. Luckily our gynecologist found and suspected the lump to be cancer and so we went directly to surgery.. I m just praying no body should undergo so much pain like my mom did..

7. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

Dear Beryl, I was moved by your narration. Though we conduct so many campaigns and awareness programmes, it is our bad luck that at times we are not diagnosed at the right time. Your mother is very lucky to have a supporting family like yours. I will always pray for your mother and thousands of ladies out there who are fighting the terrible disease. Pl take care,
    Maalti

8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Beryl

All the best to your mother for speedy recovery. I know how it is as my grandmother and my father had cancer. I have seen them suffering. Those days the treatment was not so good and not only that we knew about it only at the last stage , so they both died after suffering in the last stage. I can never forget how they suffered.

love
    viji

9. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Dear Beryl
    That is a painful story that you have shared with all of us. I feel for what all of you have gone through. Most importantly I am glad to know that mum is alright now and that she has/had the family next to her all the time. All of you are her strength which has helped her accept the fact and move on with life. You were brave too with the decision making, which is quite difficult during such trying times. Good gal!

Thank you for sharing this with us and sending the right message that is important for many of us. Congratulations also on winning the blog of the week. Take care all of you.

10. Beryl

Beryl Silver IL'ite

Hugs ille!!

Dear Ramyaraja, Thank you for your comment. Hope your mother is doing good now. Your Mother will be in our prayers. Thank you again. :)

Dear Maalti, Thank you for your prayers and comment. :)