1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Little Gestures that Couples can Get Away with in a Joint Family

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by yellowmango, Sep 10, 2015.

1. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

I am laughing at all the responses to my suggestion of hugging the MIL. I agree it will be really strange to suddenly hug her especially if you have never done it before. But if it is a right moment (momentous occasion perhaps??) maybe it may not be so strange- something special :)

But you are right from day 1 may not be strange. It is great to have good relationship with IL's and not to treat or be treated warily. I would rather extend a hand of love but at the same time never take crap from anyone. My mantra is -be good to me and I am golden to you and that extends to everyone.

1 person likes this.
  2. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Growing up I was not too much into hugging everyone as greeting but I did hug my parents. Not everyday but occasionally. More like I was hugged and kissed by my parents. I always walked holding my mom's or dad's hand even now and especially in Kerala I have got looks. So I guess it was not common.

But come one- who does not hug and kiss their child all the time? There will come a time when they will say "get away" but until then I will take full advantage :p.

When I got married, I never wanted my husband to hug me in front of anyone especially my family but he does and I realized that not reciprocating is a form of rejection of him. Now I hug or kiss back (just a peck not full blown kiss before anyone gets ideas:)). I have no doubt even otherwise marriages are warm and loving but I cannot imagine such gestures not making one feel extra loved and cherished.

2 people like this.
  3. docathome

docathome Gold IL'ite

Nice thread... I never knew there was so much romance in joint families too :wow.. Can't really contribute cos iv always lived in a nuclear family n times wh n I visit my in-laws, I never get to see my husband still nice to read so many interesting replies

1 person likes this.
  4. mcutiepie

mcutiepie Gold IL'ite

@yellowmango.. lolz .. no aunty please... and by the way you pou your suggestions... I cant imagine you as a typical aunt look :p :p

any ways.. thank uuu so much for such a thread... after putting what we used to do in past... I started doing all this again... I started with same we used to do earlier... and seems .. love n romance can be back soon...

now I am enjoying reading new ideas which I can implement... like hiding notes... infact... during intial days of marriage my hubby mentioned this.. but we never did this... will implement now...

1 person likes this.
  5. sweety127

sweety127 Gold IL'ite

Ladies :bowdown:bowdown...

Could you please elaborate on hiding notes? Will be useful for ignorant ones like methinkingsmiley

6. mcutiepie

mcutiepie Gold IL'ite

@sweety127: it is about hiding love notes.. like a sweet message written in a nice way on a paper... you hide it in a place you know your DH visit for his daily chores...

1 person likes this.
  7. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Lovely thread YM :)

My in-laws live with us off and on and when they are around, we do all these cute things of giving a quick hug or peck before anyone walks in :) hugs in the bedroom before leaving for office is also such fun!! though we do all those things when they are not around also, but i think it is much more fun when they are around because of all the thiruituthanam involved gigglingsmiley

1 person likes this.
  8. Akilaadai

Akilaadai New IL'ite

Love Notes! I tried this and embarrassed my DH in front of his student. I kept a love note in a book and hide it in his laptop bag. He went to India trip together with his students. Somehow he lend the book to his student, later the guy returned the book with grin saying " you have some card inside the book"laugh1smiley. Nowadays my daughter keep love notes for me and DH. Genes!

3 people like this.
  9. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Leave some love notes in his wallet.A chocolate with a note in his lunch box.
    Write a love note on the fogged up bathroom mirror(only if you both only use that bathroom).I make bookmarks and leave in the book he is reading.I have to keep them decent because he shares his books with daughters now.My daughters found some bookmarks that I had made pre -marriage and they were giggling in their room.:oops:

If you want to be too daring...write something on his back with your fingers while looking at him innocently.

3 people like this.
  10. BDivya

BDivya Platinum IL'ite

wowwww!!!@yellowmango.... u r a real......... dunno wat to say...
    one thing i cud make up frm this post...me n my h do nothing f the above n hence proved y we r not so close t each other...