1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The life of an expat wife. Holidays.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Marieantao, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Marieantao

Marieantao Silver IL'ite

I have not been blogging for a while now, because I was on holiday. My motto for a good restful holiday is no computers, laptops, iPads or mobile phones!!!!! Of course no one else in my family follows those rules except me, so whilst the rest of the family is busy with all their gadgets, I try to keep away from them, and this really helps in totally unwinding. Of course I do cheat once in a way, just to check if someone has sent me some urgent mail, but for the rest of the time I am gadget free.
    Holidays have always been a very important part of my life as an expat. Holidays with family, holidays only with my husband, holidays with friends, and even holidays with just my mum, or just my daughter.
    The holidays I have had with my family are too numerous to remember, but they have been such wonderful times where we have been really able to bond as a family. So much so that even today though my kids are grown up they are in touch with us almost every single day, even if it is a one liner or a quick phone call. And they still love spending time with their boring parents, during their time off from work or uni. Which I think is really sweet in this day and age.
    Holidays with the husband. If you can ladies, make it appoint to go off at least once a year to some wonderful quiet place with the man in your life. Leave the kids with family or friends, because that time you get to spend together, just the two of you, can do wonders for your relationship and marriage. It doesn't have to be for weeks it can just be even an overnight trip. If we have such a happy and wonderful marriage till today, I can say that our time off together, has a lot to do with it.
    Holidays with friends.... What can I say? I can't even begin to explain the wonderful experience of being on holiday with your best girlfriends.... Remember the times you may have gone on a days picnic, or an overnight picnic with your class, the feeling of complete happiness, joy, no responsibilities etc. That is exactly how I felt when I was on holiday with my girlfriends. Pure joy!!!!
    Have you ever thought of taking a holiday with your mom? Just you and her? I was lucky to be able to take off with my mother once or twice when she came to visit us. I am glad I did, we got so close on those occasions, I had her all to myself, I didn't have to worry about my kids, because they were with their dad. It was such a wonderful bonding experience, something I shall never forget ever. Now that she has passed on I hold those memories especially dear, because for those few days there was just us...
    Holidays with my daughter. I thought that since I had such a wonderful time with my mother, I would let my daughter experience that joy too. Maybe she was not ready enough, because for the whole first part of our trip we did nothing but argue. The second part was a lot better, but don't think I will do it in a hurry again:):)
    Holidays as I said have been a big part of my life as an expat, now that the kids are grown and gone, I find myself packing up and leaving for a holiday just about anytime the whim takes me. I don't have to worry about school holidays, or things pertaining to kids, and since my husband is traveling so often, I just have to co ordinate dates with his schedule and I can take off.
    I am a saggitarian, and we are born travelers, we love going to new places and experiencing different cultures. Being in Dubai is a plus, since it is so easy to get to so many different parts of the world from here.
    I have just returned from a holiday, but have already started making plans and looking forward to my next one.
    One bit of advice when on holiday, make the most of your time away, experience every thing, be it the sights, the culture the food, and capture those memories, mainly in your heart, but also use your camera to take lots and lots of pictures. So when years go by you can take out those pictures and relive once again the wonderful holiday you once had.

2. sudhakrishna

sudhakrishna Gold IL'ite

Hi dear, it seems that you have enjoyed the holidays to core. Nicely narrated experience with everyone. Wishing you a funfilled holidays always

3. Marieantao

Marieantao Silver IL'ite

4. sonamsehgal

sonamsehgal New IL'ite

love your way of thinking..

5. Aabhi

Aabhi Gold IL'ite

Hi Mari,

You have a great narrating skills, though I do not know who u are. I can vaguely picturize your experience. Indeed it's a great thing to have indivual time with each of our family member. I wish u more & more such holiday outing for you and your family members.

6. rnair

rnair Silver IL'ite

you make me feel like taking a break right away!!:)

7. vvdurga

vvdurga New IL'ite

Hi Mari, nice one...I also like to be gadget free, but I think I also should get away when my husband starts using his mobile too often on a holiday or on outside dinner. Instead I ask him to switch it off and we end up fighting.

8. shreeka

shreeka New IL'ite

I would some day want to travel alone with my mom, she is a special woman and I will feel blessed if I can treat her to a good holiday!

9. varalakshmi24

varalakshmi24 Silver IL'ite

Hi can you please write a blog on some of the best places you have visited? Loved the blog. Jus reading about taking a vacation was so relaxing :)

10. mdrtindia

mdrtindia New IL'ite