1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Lady and the Kid

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

The Lady and the Kid<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O />

I make you all laugh with me, and at me all the time.But there is so much trouble and grief,all manmade in this world, so I feel that i should make others smile.But sometimes some incident jogs my memory about some sad and unfortunate icidents, which i wish never happened.Here is one of them.

What i am now telling u is a true story,remembering it after ages,after readying Maya's Blog.this we talk of 1982, a good 25 years ago.My wife was coming from Mumbai by flight,and I went to receive her at the Airport in our rickety Fiat.She arrived,with our firstborn daughter,Radhika, whose pictures u saw in my last blog, who was 1 yr old and in her arms.Another lady was accompanying wife,and wife told me,this lady;s father had come to leave her at the mumbai airport,and has requested her to be with her,till her husband comes to pick her up at Jaipur,and he is in a town of Rajasthan and may be late and we please wait to make sure we hand her over to him.this lady had a 6 month old small baby too,who was crying and hungry,and the poor lady sat in the car,and breast fed the baby.

The flight landed at 6 and we waited till 8,but her husband did not turn up.We told her we will leave her at the airport,and as i knew the airport staff,i left my telephone no with them,and asked them to call me in case of an emergency,and that we are going.The Airport Manager told us, that they will close the gates of the Airport at 8/30 pm, and the lady will be locked inside,and it is not safe for her to remain here,as anything can happen and no one will be able to help her.And the lady too started to cry,beffing us not to leave her and her baby at the airport.She fell at my wife's feet,and begged her to take her with us.My wife looked at me,and I had no problems.I couldnt leave her to the wolves at the airport.

On the way back, she narrated her sad story.Husband left her bcs of dowry,father managed to give some more,and now the husband had promised to come take her from the airport,and he did not come.She did not know anyone here,and she requested us to keep her for the night,and in the morning she will take the bus and go to her husband who was a few hours away from Jaipur.

I had to hold back my tears as I was driving my car,wondering how cruel some men can be.Is'nt it their duty to take care of their wives,bastard.I was furious with her husband,i have never known myself to be so sad and angry at the same time.Anyway,we reached home,we made the poor lady comfortable,and the whole night the lady was sobbing away,and very frearful of her future.She must have understood what her future holds for her.

The next morning, I and my brother,who was with me those days,we went toleave her at the Bus Stand,we bought her lots of goodies for the journey,as well as my wife had her have a good breakfast,fed the baby,and the lady fell short of the bus ticket money.God knows how poor she was,she looked from a good family with giood upbringing,i gave her 500/- and she wouldnt take it,i said u are like a sister that i dont have, and please take it.Very reluctantly she took, and gave us the adress of her husband and of her Daddy,and said Daddy will send the money to us by Postal order.We told her not to worry and just give us a call when she reaches so we know she is safe.

The whole day we were restless,till we got a call in the evening that she had reached safely,thata all she said on the phone.After about a week, her father called us and said he had sent the postal order of 500/- and he was very grateful to us And the letter he sent us,he blessed us so much,what can I tell you.I have never received so many thanks and blessings.

I dont know later what happened, and I can only hope and pray the lady is all right,and her child must be 26 years old by now and giving her all the happiness that her husband could never give.God bless them.

KAMAL MAHTANI

2. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Kamalji,

Indeed a very touching post.

JIs desh mein stree ko devi maana jaata hain...wahan pe unki aisi bhi haalat hoti hain.

Daughters are supposed to be "Laxmi" but as soon as they become DIL...unko "laxmi" paane ka zariya bana dete hain.

Roopa.

3. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

That was too good of you... I cant digest people who cant take care of thier wifes and ditch them.... Worst part is this dowry thing.... OMG!!!!...

It is really pathetic for a lady standing alone in the airport with a kid and her husband not coming to pick up....

All salutes BowBowBowBowBow..... to the GREAT MAN with a GREAT Heart....

Veda

4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

kamalji,
    a real heart rending story very hard to digest but i can understand this situation men are sometime so coward and heaven knows y ..thanks for sharing this here..sunkan

5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Sunkan,

Veda,

Roopa,

Thanks for your kind comments.It was nothing special we did for the lady.Im sure all of us in this position would hve done the same for her.

But it makes me sad to say, that even today a few ladies are pestered for Dowry, even in educated families.Shame really.I always feel, if we get a good wife, that is more than the Dowry.and it is the male's duty to respect and take care of his wife, who has left her parents to come and stay with him.

Regards.kamal

6. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,
    It was a touchy incident that you have narrated.Very thoughtful and kind of you to offer help to that poor lady.Salute you sir for that Bow.

7. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello kamalji

they say
    god couldnt be everywhere
    so he made mothers

this time
    god couldnt be everywhere
    so he sent kamalji?

sathya

8. ansh12

ansh12 Bronze IL'ite

Hats of to you Kamalji for helping out that lady.

Not many people might have done that.

I was too difficult for me to control myself, it was just a reliving some of the incidents of past.

Thanks for posting.

Ansh

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Ansh,

I like posting light pieces, which make people smile and forget their worries of the day.But sometimes somebody's blog jiggles the long lost memories of another day.

Satya,

Do u know i am a bad person ? I have all the bad qualities that a man shouldnt have.I am a meat eater,Drink smoke and love playing cards, and love gossiping.

But i suppose somewhere we all have a soft heart somewhere.Putting ourselves in the other's shoes, we can realise the terror the lady must be feeling, having no money, and no one to pick her up, in a strange city.

I suppose most of us would have done the same , that i and wife did for her.

And i feel God has to give u the opportunity to help someone in distress.And it makes one feel nice, that one could wipe away a stranger';s tear, not that one will go to heaven, but it makes us feel nice and a human being once again.

Thanks for the super comments, i appreciate it very much.God bless.kamal

10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji,

What an experience that must have been...
    You and your family have been so kind to that unfortunate woman.
    But I hate such open endings...would be nice to know how she is today and how her 26 yr old young daughter is..But then, life will not give you answers to all our questions!
    I will imagine my own conclusion to this woman's plight...Her daughter grows up into a smart and independent woman who climbs atop the corporate ladder and throws that heartless father out of the house shields her mother with the mantle of love!!
    Let us all pray that such heartless and selfish men should always suffer a worse calamity!

L, Kamla