1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Joys And Sorrows Of Technology

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by LakshmiKMBhat, Aug 4, 2017.

1. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

Just yesterday morning my brother and I were exchanging messages on WhatsApp. He was in Shigatse, on the way to Manasarovar. These places are high up in the Himalayas, to the north of India. We are in South India. Thousands of miles separate us but we were communicating as if we were sitting next to each other. Skype makes it possible for us to see our grandson and talk to him. My daughter and family live in Germany.

Technology has changed our lives so much.

The talking software, Jaws for Windows and Open Book scanning software installed on our son’s laptop allow him to work with his visual impairment. He surfs the net and reads whatever he wants to. Without them the world would have been inaccessible to him.

But there are two sides to everything. A few days ago we read in the newspapers about the Blue Whale challenge, an online game. It is horrifying and tragic. The challenge lasts for fifty days and at the end the player has to commit suicide. One wonders at the mind of the person who started this game and also about those who play it.

(www.ibtimes.co.in/what-blue-whale-challenge-how-did-it-get-its...)

As if all this was not enough we read about Chatbots in the Artificial Intelligence system of Facebook speaking in their own language, defying the codes provided. Days earlier Tesla CEO, Elon Musk, said that artificial intelligence was the biggest risk we face as a civilization. Facebook shut down one of its AI systems.

(Finding a voice: Facebook shuts AI system after bots create own language)

But nothing can stop the course of what people think of as development. As it is we have come to depend so much on gadgets. This is scary and brings to mind stories by Isaac Asimov and other science fiction writers. Asimov has written stories about the day when machines take over the world.

Are we seeing the beginning of the end?

2. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

I read about that Blue Whale Challenge too . Horrifying . Which twisted mind would create such a thing ? And what fools would follow it ! Young people are so addicted to all this gaming and social media dares that they cannot even think straight ? Very frightening .

Everything has pros and cons . It depends on the user how something is used . The classic example is fire . It can warm a cold hand , but can also burn if the hand is taken too near . It is important to educate children on proper use of technology .

LakshmiKMBhat and Sandycandy like this.
  3. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Dear OP, very well written ! The blue whale challenge is really shocking & I cannot help but wonder about the criminal mindset of the creator!! Very sad!

But, I am very thankful to technology because of which I can talk to & see my parents from thousand miles away! But, yes you are right, it has its own perils. If we are wary of the dangers of viruses/malware/hacking /crazy games like blue whale that technology introduces us to & use proper measures to protect ourselves & our kids, then I guess it can be a blessing! But then there's also the addiction element to it, which can drive you nuts!

So, 2 words, caution & moderation are the way to go!!

PS: I am really in awe of some of you parent figures here who are so much aware of what's going on , so comfortable with technology, posting, etc .. My mom gets bored, but she doesnt get on the Internet to entertain/occupy herself.. I ask her to learn, but I guess it's not a priority for her & I just have to keep persuading! :worried:hats off to you all!:worship2:

LakshmiKMBhat, Amica and Sandycandy like this.
  4. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

"Are we seeing the beginning of the end"- a good question.
    The answer in absolute NO. These are just tools. Handled with ease and perfection, will serve you. Handled carelessly, can kill. Whatever bad things we see on Internet is temporary. It will pass.
    There are guys, disturbed brains, who will make us uncomfortable. But let us accept they are fertile. Fertile brains only gave us all these gagets.

LakshmiKMBhat likes this.
  5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Lakshmi,
    Technology has its pluses and minuses. Depends on how we use it . Parents should guide children. Intruduce them to the world without gadgets. They have to spend time with them.....no gadget can replace it. Until they reach the age when they can decide what is hood and what is not.
    Blue whale is horrible!!!! It seems he is imprisoned for three years. Already the damage done! Atleast others learn how not to create such games!
    Syamala

6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

The creator of the Blue whale challenge has already been arrested and is in jail now. There are many sadists in this world who feel happy watching others in pain.

Sorry for digressing from the topic. Technological advance is like a double edged sword. It can be used for the benefit of the mankind as well as ruining.

Yes. Technology has both advantages and disadvantages. Yet I don't think it is the beginning of the end. There are more sane people in the world who won't allow this to happen.
    PS

7. LakshmiKMBhat

Thank you Susila :) I was happy to read that reading has always been your hobby. For me too. Books have always been a part of my life. I was not able to post my reply to your answer. Regards, Lakshmi

8. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@LakshmiKMBhat
    Dear Lakshmi
    You have always been writing on highly positive side of life and your large font suited them. But this one is bizard. You should have used a very small font for this one
    Sri

9. LakshmiKMBhat

That blue whale challenge really disturbed me. It made me think about the negative side of technology, though I had always been aware of them. That person who started the challenge was able to manipulate the minds of people. It is easy to say that we should have control over ourselves but it must be so difficult for so many. Technology has helped my son so much. There are plus and minus points to everything in life. So much depends on us and also what is written for us. Many a time I believe that what is to happen will happen. With regards, Lakshmi

10. Purple2017

Purple2017 Silver IL'ite

Let us not waste even a precious minute thinking about the 'blue whale app'. I am reminded of three famous statues of monkeys in my school garden about 45 years ago...one shutting off eyes,one closing the mouth and another closing ears.....advocating Mahatma Gandhi's golden advice....don't see bad things, don't hear bad words,and don't speak bad......all these are relevant today....technology in the form of computers,mobiles, social net working sites have joined hands together to poison the mankind.....the so called 'data' revolution will ultimately end up with 'disease' generation....'data' can be converted into 'disease' unless everybody is alert. All responsible citizens of the world have to play their role effectively to save the mankind.