1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Joy of Reading

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Oct 27, 2007.

1. RamyaVaradharajan

RamyaVaradharajan Bronze IL'ite

Hello Kamalji,
    Good that you have read that book. As Shanthi ma'am had suggested, probably you can go through her other creation too!

Let the thirst for knowledge continue!

Regards

2. So Sure

So Sure Senior IL'ite

hi Kamal,

Dont miss Erich Segal's "Doctors".

Also check out the Robert Ludlum's books. All his books are good ...his "Bourne" series especially! Please dont see the movie. First read... the story is in your imagination. watch the movie later, and you will see the director's imagination!

Regards,
    Sharada

3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Ramya,

Yes let the thrist for knowledge continue.I will read her collection ttoo.Thanks.kamal

sharada,

I love Robert Ludlum and the Bourne identity is too good.This book was copied into the Hindi movie " Bol Radha Bol " of Rishi Kapoor, and dircted by David Dhawan, in the mid ninties.Damn good one.Regards.kamal

4. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,
    oh, to read a good book is like being in heaven. I like to read and I used to read comics first. Then came Enid Blyton. I had some rich friends who were book lovers and who would lend books to me. I used to read even Tamil monthly novels, hidden in school books. My mother did not like my reading habit and would be very angry. So I would read with out her knowledge. I have enjoyed Phantom comics very much and even now like them. Then came Amar Chithra katha.Also I hve read many James Hardley Chase books.
    I lived in Trivandrum and there are so many libraries there, the British Council, Public Library, the University Library, my, how I enjoyed to go to all these, brings books home and read them. I started reading Agatha Christie, Arther Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes) and other british authors from BC, magazines which had so many beautiful pictures of homes (Good Housekeeping) exotic recipes and so many household ites. This was some 25 years ago. All those are in India only recently- the modular kitchens, furniture, desserts etc.
    I also got to read books by Auther Hailey, Sidney Shelden, Jeffery Archer, Robin Cook, and recently Mary Higgins Clarkand Da Vinci Code and of course, J.K.Rowlings. I have read all the Potter books.
    I have initiated my son also in the reading habit and he enjoys it. I have bought many books for him, from comics to Potter. Ramakrishna Math is publishing religious books in comic style with good quality binding etc. I have got a set for him and now he knows our culture etc also. He also has Panchathantra stories book.R.K.Narayan and Arther Conan Doyle also he reads.
    I read RD regularly from the library near to me. I also subscribe to Week and we both read it regularly. And of course, the Hindu newspaper and a Tamil daily too.
    Hubby dear is just opposite, no reading or any hobby for that matter.
    I have a dream, to read all Tintin comics.

5. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Hi kamalji
    yes these ones r top hit & Supernovels but they r like old frends to me & when I cant find any thing to read I turn again & again to these.( like some people sees their favourate films many time )
    Ayn rand one has to read many times to fully undersand her theories of objectivism. Just now I finished the vinci code ( good one ) & now I am reading the monk who sold his ferrari .
    There r some good novels in reader digest select edition ,like white out ,paronia & few others good reading.

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Varloo,

u and me share sop many common habits like reading, and aughors.

I too just buy the Week magazine and Reader's Digest.I have cut out India Today and Outlook, they have too many stupid articles, like which are the best colleges, B Schools etc, which are not related to current affairs, and i am not a student to go there.and why would i need that info, which i can get from the internet ?Silly.

And all the authors u love i too love them.TINTIN my buyer loves it from Spain and tells me to get the latest for him.While he gets me whiskey, i get Tin tin for him.Not a bad deal eh .

Enid blyton was too godd.The famous Five etc.Also used to love " Billy Bunter", i dont know the author.

Harry potter the movies i love, never read a book, my daughter is an avid fan of JK Rowling.

And like u i too love to re read books and everytime i discover that i had forgotton half the story already.

Thanks and regards.kamal

Jaishree,

I too love Readers Digest, and the latest one has a damn good article on "Dell" computer maker and how he beat IBM at theior own game.Read that one.And also an article called Naani Maa.Wonderful.

Regards.kamal

7. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Dear all.,

I too used to read a lot of comics . Phatom, Mandrake and all amar chitra katha comics. I remember there was the "Ramayana" bumper editions, which was Rs 9 then and it was considered to be very costly.
    "henry" in the last page of Amar chithra katha was a delight.

Then even chacha choudhary series were a favourite.

Even now I don't miss the small comic section in the daily newspaper. Winnie The pooh is my current favourite.

Of course Enid blyton's famous 5 series and Hardy boys followed.

Later somehow I was a bit slow in reading novels. I read GAndhiji's "My exoeriment with Truth" when I was in college. and there a quite a few others also.

But always newspaper were and is my constant companion. Though almost all the dailies are posted online, there is nothing like spreading the newspaper on the floor and reading it. during my school and college days I used to rush to read the paper first, though almost always my Dad used to finish and only then give it to me.

I m a addict of Sudoku now.

bye...

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Saraswathy,

Welcome to my blog.Like u, i too love the newspapers,buti avoid the politics and read murders, and other stuff.I love the suduko of Hindustan Times, the harder the better.

And yes, Hardy boys and the Famous Five of Enid Blyton were really good.Thanks for sharing yr thoughts .Regards.kamal

9. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Wow thread is really refreshing my mind. With hardy boys, Nancy drew, Mills and boons, comics, Enid Blyton, These are all my favourites I still read them whenever I get one. I don't feel bored reading them again and again. I remember we were allowed to take only 2 books for a fortnight from the library. We use to exchange them, with friends and read them.
    I remember having more then 1000 comics which I had bonded them so that they remain good for years, I read them so many times. And my son too finished reading them. just 2 years back I donated that whole lot to a library so all the kids can read them.
    Joy of reading is so perfect heading Kamalji. Sometimes books are our dearest friends. Which we feel like keeping them always with us.

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Aruna,

So nice to know u too are a lover of reading.Today i have started the book " The World is Flat ", about business, and different and its so good.

Also read " Freakonomics", it will change the way u think.

Mills and Boons heard a lot, but i suppose it was for girls, as also Barbara Cartland.

Binding of comics even i used to do, and it used to be fun.Its good u have donated yr books to a library, whereby other children can read yr collections.

Thanks and regards,and wishing u and yr family a very very happy,healthy, and prosperous Diwali.God bless u.Kamal