1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Joy of Reading

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Oct 27, 2007.

1. So Sure

So Sure Senior IL'ite

hi Kamal,

John Grisham gives you a picture of what goes on in the legal world. The lifes of lawyers, how lawsuits and people are manipulated by the powerful companies.

Michael Moore - Fahrenheit 9/11 - USA politics - good to read.

Thomas Friedman - The World is Flat. - This book is a wake-up call to USA. He discusses how India and China are taking over the world economy - a must read!! Infact, Americans started joining their children in additional math and science classes after this book was released. :confused2:

regards,
    Sharada

2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Sharada,

John Grisham sure looks interesting.I am very interested in lega l matters, bcs i used to read Perry Mason, and loved Perry Masson,Paul Drake,Della Street, and the public prosecutor Hamilton was it ?So this should be interesstiong.

The world is flat, is what my daughter has got now and is forcing me to read it.It has been recemonded to her by her teachers at the institiute where she is preparing for CAT.I will start it today.

Thanks for the valuable info, and i fu come acroos any other names , do feel free to write.Thanks and regards.kamal

3. So Sure

So Sure Senior IL'ite

hi Kamal,
    :hiya

If you have not read "Siddhartha" by Herman Hesse, you should. It is a small book, but a heavy classic. "Roots" by Alex Haley.... There are a lot of classics I can think of... Leo Tolstoi's "Anna Karinina", "War and Peace", Maugham's "Razor's edge", "Of Human Bondage" etc.

Tell you what... if you want to cultivate a hobby of reading.. go to the nearest British Library and become a member. They have all the good books. Easy reading to intense. There will be people to help you with your flair for books. They have weekly-monthly programs, book reviews, meet the author,.. etc,. Again, these are all optional. you can pick any book you want and walk out.

I will definitely let you know about any contemporary writer's books. I think books are a person's best friend! I'm So Sure you will say, "No, my dog Tuffy is"!! :rotfl
    have fun!
    Regards,
    Sharada

4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Sharada,

Tell u what.Tuffy is my best friend, but before him and even now,novels are my best friend.:-o

I dont read classics or heavy stuff.Just novels, the ones i mentioned, the commercial ones.That is why my blogs are not classics.HAHA.

Thanks for the list, and taking the trouble for all that.Regards.kamal

5. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Kamalji
    i too love to read books cannot sleep if I don't read them how much ever tired I am must read atleast a page or two. Da vinci code was my favourite one too I love to read frictions, suspense and romantic books it should be good to read that is more important than the author, most of the time I don't remember they names:-D

6. CharuKaur

CharuKaur Senior IL'ite

Hi Kamal

Reading and music are two of my lifelines :redface:
    I like reading Jeffrey Archer, Erich Segal, richard bache.
    Also, 'Chicken Soup' offers a wonderful collection of real life stories.

enjoy reading!
    Charu..:wave

7. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

I love reading... I like historical novels - Tamil written by Kalki, Chandilyan... Though I have read lot of detective novels, sydney, Harrold Robins, Aynrand etc... I love cowboy stories... Especially JT Edson / Oliver Strange... I have very rarely seen somebody with that taste... Though I am trying to get the whole collection of JTE... I am not getting it...

There were days, I skip food and read... For which I used to get big time from my mom and later from my wife....

If anywhere you come across JTE collection, please let me know... Would love to buy it...

8. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

hello Kamlji
    If u like comics & superman etc u will sure love the Harry potter series .Amazing books.
    The Day of jackal
    ICe station Zebra
    Night without end.
    where Eagles dare
    Oddessa file
    Mila 18
    Fountain head & Atlus shrgged By ayn Rand
    The prize
    And all books by alister maclean are very good read.
    Medical thriller - try robin cook series ,start with coma & fever his oldes ones.
    All books of fredrick forsyth.

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Charu,

i loved Chicken Soup sreies, and also Erich Segal's Love story and "Man Woman Child.

Thanks and regards.kamal

Aruna,

Da Vinci was class, as are so many other books.Regards.kamal

Veda,

if i get my hands on the edison series i will surelylet u know.Good to k now u too are a book lover,like me.Regards.kamal

Jaishree,

All the names u have taken are top hits and super novels.i have read most of them.really good ones.regards.kamal

10. RamyaVaradharajan

RamyaVaradharajan Bronze IL'ite

Hello Shanthi ma'am
    Sorry for the delay in reply!
    That was a slip of my finger:) Yes Ayn Rand is a "she". (i smile as i write this..So silly i was:crazy)

Thank you ma'am. I have not heard about the other book which you had mentioned ma'am. Will surely read when ever i try to get hold of a copy!

Regards