1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The JIC bug

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by CharuKaur, Nov 3, 2007.

1. CharuKaur

CharuKaur Senior IL'ite

Every time I am transferred from one city to another, it’s a golden time for my maid; coz I tend to leave loads of my stuff behind – clothes, shoes, utensils and what not. The other day when I was sitting in my balcony, sipping tea and planning over my upcoming trip to Pune, it just dawned on to me. It’s the JustInCase bug! :spin

My assignment in Pune was official and only for a week with a completely packed schedule of meetings and seminars. Nonetheless, I was at my great generosity while packing. I packed some casual wear – JustInCase :hiya I hang out in the city; which would have been a rare thing to happen given the deadlines of work though. I also kept an evening dress – JustInCase :hiyathere was a formal event in the office. And so I had to pack the smart lacy sandals matching the dress besides the casual pair of shoes and formal sandals that I was already carrying. Not to mention the bulky sports shoes that I were to be wearing during the travel!
    Only to avoid any JustInCase incident to haunt me, I overpacked things – obviously not even using half of them during the trip.

When going out for shopping, the JustInCase hysteria strikes again – especially if it’s the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">SALE</st1:place></st1:City> season. Although a pair of shoes would be last on my list to be purchased, JustInCase :hiyaits price might be sky high again, it gets credited to my shoe-rack already full of a dozen of the like.

Not unlikely, while traveling to <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Chicago</st1:place></st1:City>, I was carrying just everything with me. Be it extra or a variety of shoes, home made pickles & chutney, a bag full of spices, utensils or just any/all clothes that I could carry within the prescribed weight limits. All because JustInCase :hiyaI do not get my favorite brands or fits there! Traveling light does not seem to gel with my philosophy.

But that’s not all; coz like all the Venus species, women, I get attached to each of my belongings – even the tiniest, cheapest of things and parting becomes real difficult. Why go far, any empty juice bottle or a disposable container that is intact/beautiful goes in the storage box - JustInCase :hiyaI might want to use it in the future!

And, on and on i go, accumulating things coz - JustInCase :hiyasomething happens when I might want to use my extraneous collection I keep extending with a variety of things.
    The consequences – things keep waiting to be used and more often than not I get bored of them. Or, I have to leave them behind when I move. Or, else pay for the extra luggage I am carrying. Still, that never dampens my spirit! :idea:

So, what do you think? Anyone else bitten by this JustInCase :hiyabug?
    My husband says it makes me special – womanly special :tongue

Cheers
    Charu..

2. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Dear Charu
    What a humourous way of expressing our extra cautious nature "What if" and getting prepared to face it.:thumbsup

You have company here.. I have done and continue doing some many things gearing up for the "JIC" someday.(But the more cautious you are.. it never happens :spin:spin)

Please keep writing.

Regards
    Honeybee

3. CharuKaur

CharuKaur Senior IL'ite

Thanks for your compliments honeybee :redface:
    Its a pleasure that you took out time to read this.

good day ahead!
    Charu..

4. krish22

krish22 Senior IL'ite

Hi Charu,

Your husband is so right.The women who are bitten by this JIC bug are most beautiful because of their feminine acts.

Hahhah

Good one to read.And let me tell you I am also having this JIC bug fever.

5. desidiva

desidiva New IL'ite

Charu,

I thought I was the only one who had this JIC obnoxious bug...good to see some company...although I have to say that this JIC bug does not affect me when it comes to empty bottles and stuff...less junk to store...:redface:

Vib

6. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Hi there

My my, do I have this JIC bug, well of course, I have it bigtime !!!

Its like I see a thing and I buy thinking that I will need it... but that thing lands up in my closet and keeps lying there for I dont know how long... i dont know how many clothes are rite now in there still waiting for that tag to be broken and finally WORN...

Good one there charu, you seem to be Punju too... so will say one thing here, what my mom says, "kapdeyan nu handayo".... if you dont get it, i'll put it in english "WEAR THE CLOTHES OUT"....:-o

~Abha

7. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Charu
    Hahahaha you have put this up in such a beautiful way just in case. My husband calls this a burden Why do you want to take so many things? I just tell him you cannot understand I need them. Next time he will tell that I will tell him I am bitten by the JIC bug.:clap:clap:clap Good one

8. CharuKaur

CharuKaur Senior IL'ite

Hi Abha

"Kapdeaan nu hundao" ... you took me back home to my mom :kiss

You know something,,, its coz of us people that n number of businesses are making money! So, lets carry on, without any second thoughts!

And as my grandma used to say - "Sukh handaaya hove" - m sure no translations reqd :thumbsup

Good day!
    Charu..

9. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Its so interesting to read this thread and the Just in Case bug. I know i tended to do a lot of this when my kid was small and overpack just in case a shirt or pant got wet. But we are careful not to hoard stuff Just In Case. We have a rule in our home which is to donate an item that is not used for a whole year. The second rule is for every new item bought and coming in one old item has to go for donation. This way we do have a handle on the games and toys and there really are countless people who could truly use our unused stuff. I do stash yogurt and other plastic containers for Just in case. Primarily to help distribute food to others to which day i have used and could never have enough. I feel this has got to do with upbringing. our parents were frugal and that has passed on to us to some extent.

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi charu,

The so called JIC hits me only in the medicines part today...when my kids were small it used to be the number of dresses,towels, biscuits,food...everything...just even for a single day travel.....
    regarding other items...today i don't stash much...I tend to give away everything....