1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Irresistible Toy

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mindi
    Oscar Wilde once wrote that the only way to get rid of temptation was to yield to it. As long as it remains a temptation in our heart, it never allows us to think of anything else!
    Bagwan Ramana Maharshi wrote a song,
    Appalam ittu paaru,
    Adhai sappittu un aasaiyai theeru!

It is indeed a profound philosophy. It is a verse on eight-fold Yoga and Self Inquiry.
    Taking life as it comes is the best way to retain our equanimity. Once we develop this attitude in life, nothing whatsoever will leave a scar on our heart!
    You are truly a blessed person, Mindi
    Sri

2. Cheeniya

Dear Aruna
    The example of Ravana is a very good one indeed. The only thing that has no limit whatsoever is our desire and as long as we keep trying to fulfill it, it keeps growing. There is a process of self inquiry recommended by the Upanishads which is nothing but going to the root of our desire through a series of questions. At the end of this questioning, we arrive at a point which negates all our perceptions of our desires. The great truth is that all the questioning of our desires, no matter what they are, ultimately leads us to the same point beyond which we cannot go!
    Sri

3. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Your blog ‘The Irrestible Toy’ dated <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:date Month="3" Day="28" Year="2007">28<SUP>th</SUP> March 2007</st1:date> with the last fb dated <st1:date Month="4" Day="18" Year="2007">18<SUP>th</SUP> April 2007</st1:date> has come to life again today (<st1:date Month="11" Day="17" Year="2008">17<SUP>th</SUP> Nov. 2008</st1:date>). Did you say that ‘not write even a crow and fox story….’ now, now……(I have said this before and repeat it again, there’s something special in your posts, articles, blogs,…). I hereby rest my case!

The little ‘blighter’, if I may call him that who made such a hullabaloo over the toy, just to forget all about it once he got it, reminds me of an incident during my <st1:place><st1:placeName>Presidency</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>College</st1:placeType></st1:place> days. My room-mate Valsa’s sister Sheela was quite a brat and vied with her sibling over every little thing. Just because Valsa’s mom got her a couple of sarees (those days, it was compulsory to wear a saree to college, ‘half-sarees’ were a no-no and ‘salwars/churidars’ were unknown in <st1:City><st1:place>Madras</st1:place></st1:City>!). Well, at just 12, Sheela threw such a tantrum in the shop that her mom bought her one to appease her. And what did the little brat do? She glanced triumphantly at Valsa, shoved the saree into her mother’s hands and walked away. Sheer sibling rivalry, I guess.

Maybe it is human nature to aspire for something that is not within our reach and once we have attained it, we have to look for the next rung to climb till we reach the top (or so we think). That is the ultimate happiness. Most people don’t stop to think that we cannot take our material wealth or bank balance with us to the other world. My dear mother-in-law, a realised soul in her own way, always said ‘Build up your bank balance with good karma. That is what will come with you’.

One must not look for happiness not in worldly acquisitions but introspect and realise that true happiness lies within us.

On that rather serious note, let me reiterate that I enjoyed your post thoroughly, Cheeniya Sir.

Padma

4. Cheeniya

Dear Padma
    I do not know if there is anything special about what I write but you surely can say things that make me feel special! Thank you!
    Nice to hear that the Presidency College is your alma mater too. My college days are the greenest in my memory!
    The incident of sibling rivalry that you have narrated is seen everywhere. We have a bean bag at home and it normally lies unused in a corner but whenever one of my two grand daughters decides to use it, a big battle will ensue between the two for possession of the same! When I point out to them that it remains untouched for thirty days in a month, both reply simultaneously that they have now decided to use it.
    Your mother in law is an evolved soul to be able to give such profound advice as
    ‘Build up your bank balance with good karma. That is what will come with you’.
    In fact, I had staged a drama called 'Gnanayogam' in the '80s written by the renowned writer K.K.Raman based on this theme. It was one of my successful plays.
    Sri

5. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Yes Sri, you have brought up a fundamental question here. I have often faced the same question and come up with the answer that material goods will never bring me ultimate satisfaction. Yet, I can't do without them I know.

Of course, I have seen people who are immensely satisfied with their material possessions. And I think that there are two kinds of people in this context. The first has only a few material goods in its possession and this group is ever happy using them. They could be truly small things, such as a fountain pen or an umbrella. They are attached to them, love them, nurture them, love oozing out of their eyes.

The other kind is the very rich. Members of this group possess so much that they cannot find the time to appreciate individual elements in their collection. They merely end up gloating over the totality. I guess this group includes me. I chide myself quite often that I had bought excellent music CD's that I never found the time to listen to and then forgot about them. During my last visit to Chennai, I went over to Music World and purchased what I thought was a fine collection of Carnatic music, including the unforgettable Subbalakshmi. For the next few months, the CD's collected dust!! Of course, not being a child anymore, I made amends and listened to whatever I had purchased as soon as realization dawned. But I know that I shall keep on doing this.

In the ultimate analysis, I think material possessions cannot bring one lasting happiness. I guess this is why some people went to the other extreme and renounced the material world in search of the ultimate truth or happiness. :bowdown

My worldly wise wife has a view on this matter. Don't try to find happiness in your own possessions she says. You can't have a new toy every day. But if you can teach yourself to appreciate the toys other people are happy with then you are sure to be happy all the time. Someone or the other is definitely happy with his success at each point of time. Find him out and share his happiness. I have discovered that she really practises this philosophy.

And to end this long harangue, another person I seem to have found recently who fits this category is Kamalji. I don't think he can ever be unhappy. :)

oj

6. Cheeniya

Dear oj
    Your mention of two kinds of people is indeed profound. Whenever we think of Gandhiji, all that we recall as his possessions are his glasses, sandals and the pocket watch! How ridiculously easy it is to draw his face starting with his specs! We all know how much he loved his pocket watch. How true is your assessment about people who own more than they can handle! I wonder if they will even remember what they possess. Every time something new gets added to their possessions, it will perhaps stay in their memory until the next one gets added.

This applies to number of children too. A couple with a single child will be exceedingly doting parents but in a very large family like that of Dhritharashtra or even Kuchela, such doting may be out of question! In a situation where the parents cannot even remember the names of their children because of the sheer number, how can there be any doting possible at all? My own grand father had nine daughters and two sons and was well known for his confusion in referring to them by their names. But when there was a great proliferation of grand children, he just gave up calling them by their names!

My salutations to your wife for her profound wisdom. This is indeed the quintessence of all happiness. If we can derive pleasure out of seeing someone else being happy with what he gets, it can be nothing but eternal peace and happiness. As you have rightly pointed out, I too have observed streaks of this sublime quality in Kamalji!

A great FB, oj. Thanks a lot!
    Sri

7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear OJ,

first dear friend i thank u very much for yr kind words.REgards.kamal

Dear Sri,

I have one complaint against OJ, he is raking up yr old blogs, long forgotton, and giving u homework all again to reply, and then i come in too and read the classics from yr pen.

Loved it, and yr observations.now let me give my take on this topic.

Somehow, i am happy with all that i have.there was a time, i was not very well off, and i used to stare at a Maruti Van, and wish i could posess one, as also a semi automatic washing machime for my wife, as the lady who used to wash our clothes manually used to take many days off, and poor wife had to wash the clothes herself.And i wished a kinetic honda, the self start one.

when i made the first lakh, i bought all three.Kinetic Honda, well went under but after 10 yers of good service, but i loved every moment on it.

Washingmachinme i bought for 6000 i think, and the Van i bought a new one, still with me after so many years.

By god's grace i can afford anything today,but i have lost my desires.My daily needs like non veg, two pegs of whiskey and cigarattes are taken care of, and i dont wish anything more.

But i feel very happy when my friends prosper.There is this friend of mine who bought a second hand Mercedes, and he took me out for a drive, a wonderful machine.

For my daughter's wedding, my Samdhi asked me if i could arrange an imported car for the Reception day.I tried all the Car Rentals, but none kept any imported Car for Hire.relucantly ui had to ask my friend if he could help me out, and he was angry that i had to ask the Rentals, and he gladly sent over the Car , decorated with flowers, alogn with the driver , and my day and face was saved.

That is why i wish all my friends lots of prosperity,it comes back to me too in times of needBig Laugh

I am happy with what i have, and i have developed just one desire, that is to meet u and yr family, and other bloggers, and i am loving havingnew friends at this stage of my life, where i thought i cant make new frineds .

Sorry for the long dose, just got carried away Sri, Regards.kamal

8. Cheeniya

Dear Kamal
    Your declaration that you are 'happy with what you have' is the quintessence of what all the religions exhort their followers to do. You are leading a life that is a role model for others. Even in your attachment, there is a strange detachment.

Your saying 'That is why i wish all my friends lots of prosperity,it comes back to me too in times of need' has a profound truth behind it. You have even cited an example in support of this statement. If only we could master this generous sentiment, all our lives would be a lot better.

May God continue granting your daily two pegs, enough NV food and adequate number of cigarettes to digest it! May your circle of friends grow stronger and larger every day. May He grant a meeting of you, me and OJ at His earliest convenience!
    Sri

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,

I will come in a month or two postively, and i will be there for a week,and i hope we meet everyday, and lets see who tires of whom faster/.HAHA

But it will be fun, i know, and i am eagerly looking forward to meeting u.andi shall let u know the dates in advance so u are there in town, otherwise i will prostpone my visit to when u are in town and free.

So i will ask u befoer i book the ticket,as otherwise it is useless for me to come to Chennai.

Cheers Sri,Regards

kamal

10. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Respected Sir.....

A profound post Sir....:thumbsup..that reminded me of Rabindranath Tagore's poem "Playthings".....I searched for it and am posting it here.....:)

Playthings

Child, how happy you are sitting in the dust, playing with a broken twig all the morning.
    I smile at your play with that little bit of a broken twig.
    I am busy with my accounts, adding up figures by the hour.
    Perhaps you glance at me and think, "What a stupid game to spoil your morning with!"
    Child, I have forgotten the art of being absorbed in sticks and mud-pies.
    I seek out costly playthings, and gather lumps of gold and silver.
    With whatever you find you create your glad games, I spend both my time and my strength over things I never can obtain.
    In my frail canoe I struggle to cross the sea of desire, and forget that I too am playing a game.

I think it is the momentary pleasure the playthings give a child....or for us.....makes us pursue it....at the beginning......

And, after owning what was pursued with all jest,determination and struggle..........the plaything is possessed with pride....flaunted with glee....and..... is forgotten...and then we start pursuing another plaything.......:spin

And, at one point of time......we realize that it is just the pursuit that makes the game thrilling......and then starting our pursuit on soul-search.........Please correct me if I am wrong......:hide: