1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Irresistible Toy

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It’s one of those swank up market departmental stores in Chennai. Shopping there is a kind of status symbol particularly among the upper middle-class families. Every visit to the shop is sure to set you back by a few thousand rupees. I was there a couple of weeks back to look up for a ‘state of the art’ beard trimmer that the shop had extensively advertised for.

As I went around eyeing the beautifully arrayed goodies, my eyes fell on a two year old child seated atop a shopping cart and wheeled around by his father. Since blogs have to be short crisp affairs, I’d simply stop with saying that the child was one of the most beautiful kids I had seen in my life. No one in the shop could resist petting the sweet child with a gentle ruffling of his hairs or a feather touch on his chubby cheeks. The child had taken everyone by storm.

A few minutes later, I was returning after seeing a demonstration of the beard trimmer and saw again the child gesticulating wildly at some toy kept on the shelf. The toy looked expensive and the father, like all fathers, fearing a terrible onslaught on his purse tried to wheel away the wailing child to distraction. The child, true to the time-honoured axiom that the sweeter they are the more adamant they will be, refused to budge an inch from its expressed desire to acquire the toy at any cost. The dad was equally adamant and the child’s wailing grew stronger and stronger. The child’s mummy tried all the tricks in her limited repertoire to appease the child but it only made things worse. The operations in the shop came practically to a grinding halt and the shoppers were moved by the agony of the child. One old man went as far as venturing to offer to buy the toy and gift it to the child but the indignant dad waved his hand firmly rejecting the offer. But the old man’s offer did have the desired effect on the father who finally condescended to buy the toy. I left the scene only after seeing the smile back on the child’s face with the toy clutched firmly in its tiny hands.

I moved on to the Book Section and did some browsing for a while. I was as usual marveling at the bulky stuff these modern authors could churn out by the dozen at regular intervals. Browsing through these books, I always felt bad about having led a totally uneventful life so far and I felt worse that I could not write even a crow and fox story effectively enough to get a child to read it in full. So with self pity oozing profusely from every pore of my body, I walked out of the Book Section a beaten man.

My walk back to the exit of the Shop took me past the Toy Section where I saw that child waging a battle to get that toy as though its very life depended on it. I saw them again in a different section. The dad was carting the sweet child followed by its mother pushing another cartload of goodies. In the corner of that cart was the Toy lying uncared for. The child seemed no more interested in the toy and content even without it.

This incident set me on an introspective mood. I ran my entire life thus far in my mental screen and pondered over everything I aspired for, desired intensely and fought fierce battles to get them. I realised that nothing ever gave me permanent happiness. But when I desire something I behave as if my whole life depends on it. If I get what I desire, it gets lodged at the attic at the earliest possible opportunity. If my happiness is from what I get, should it not be a permanent fixture of my existence?

I remembered Ramana Maharshi's famous example of a dog chewing a dry bone. The bone pierces the gums of the dog and blood starts flowing and the dog happily drinks it thinking it is coming from the bone it chews whereas it is its own blood! No matter what stage of life we are in, we behave very much like that child in the shop.

I now resolve to look for something that will give me permanent happiness and will remain as my close ally giving me never-ending happiness for as long as I live. And may God help me find that one!

2 people like this.
  2. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

wow,nice post. may god fulfil ur wishes.:2thumbsup:

3. Cheeniya

Oh Thanks a lot vivbass!
    People are generally used to my light-hearted observations here and I am keeping my fingers crossed about this post of mine!:)

4. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Blessed soul Cheeniya,

Is it the beard that borders your chin that brought out the philosopher in you? One who mouths wisdom far beyond all his earlier blogs? From the mundane to the metaphysical to the mystical- your range is awesome.

One question about this child- he was a boy, right? It is such a 'male thing' to want to acquire something, fight for it, and once conquered, ignore it? Therein men start training for marriage. Now, I am sure you will get back saying the child was a girl.

But dont be a beaten man wrt your writing. You can hold beyond a fox and crow story. Hey, you have a fan following right here in IL for your blogs.

Good one! Different, but the best so far. And I pray that you find what you seek for!

regards
    Vidya

5. Cheeniya

Dear Vidya
    I have stressed beyond doubt that the child was a male in para 2 and I have no intention to change his sex! But in summing up a male character thus, you have set me thinking.
    Do you mean to say girls never fight for what they want? Wish my two daughters knew that! If they are denied their demand, they can let out squeals that can make even rats deaf!
    But seriously I tend to agree with you about male characteristic there. Let me apply my mind to it and come up with a post soon!
    And thanks a lot for your encouragement
    Sri

6. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,

That was great short blog. It is totally true what you said.
    Vidya, these days there is no difference between girls and boys when it comes to throwing tantrums to get what they want. have seen enough from both sexes in our lovely" toy r us" or the mall , to know that yes girls are equally capable of throwing a tantrum. Now one observation I have , seeing my own niece who is around the same age as my little one, is that boys can be distracted quicker than girls when throwing a tantrum. Am not sure if others have the same opinion!

Cheeniya, please do post on the more serious vein too. Would love to read them.

Vandhana

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  7. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

Cheeniya
    nice reading
    keep it up:wave

8. raginiprakash

raginiprakash Senior IL'ite

Hi!

Absolutely loved this piece!

Well, not experienced about kids & their tantrums, so can't comment on that. But agree with Vidya about 'the male thing'. I sometimes tease my husband about this male characteristic of 'desire to conquer, conquering & then loosing interest in the conquest'!

Lovely post, great going!!

Ragini.

9. Cheeniya

Dear Vandhana
    That's very true about the easy 'distractability' of boys! Whenever I refused to eat my rasam sadam, my mum would distract me by showing an imaginary white crow somewhere and made me eat! Till this day, she brags about it!
    But when my daughter tries that with her daughter, the little one just says 'What's the big deal? I just wont eat this rubbish. Period!'
    Sri

10. Cheeniya

Dear Huma
    Merci`
    You have made my day! :)
    Sri