The Importance of Tulsi

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

My dear Meena !

Since you showed interest, even before I posted about Tulsi, I was wondering, why there was no F B from you.
    I generally follow these:
    Tulsi is never offered to Ganapathi
    Bilwa is specially offered to Lakshmi, besides to Shiva.
    Yes, first I thought of mentioning about the tulsi story, later decided against it, as the post was becoming long !
    Thanks for joining this thread, my dear Meena !
    Love,
    Chithra.

2. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

thanks

chitra...Its very nice to read the mahimai of tulsi, hmmm learning lots of things from ur posts, thanks, keep posting such good things so that i can learn a lot.

I was just watering tulsi. apply kumkum in the morning and pluck 2 leaves and will have it. my mom said that bfr marriage to get a good husband, so i did and that belief worked, i got a wonderful husband :)

by the way i read in one post that stree(girls) shd not pluck tulsi leaves,but i used to do, wats wrong with it??? !!!!!!!!

3. Chitvish

Dear Sanravi !

It is customary not to pluck the leaves of a tulsi plant (to chew), which you are worshipping. But if your mother has advised, it should be correct. I have quoted (as I gave before) Sri Somadeva Sharma, a very great scholar. I have no authority to write about this & I repeat what I read in religious books.
    I am very happy that you are appreciative of my posts. Thankyou very much.
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chith,
    I was reading and re reading your beautiful post. THe combination of words and expressions brings out the greatness and divinity of thulasi. I was mesmerised by the sentence-whenever a wind blows.............. The Thulasi slokam is my favourite. My MIL chants that very loudly very early in the morning every day.All my paternal aunts and my mother chant the same when they do thulasi pooja. It is a surprise to me that we should not pluck leaves from a thulasi which we worship. Thank you for a hair- raising post.
    Regards,
    Meenu

5. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Dear Chitvish Madam
    So much info. about Thulasi ! Thank you so much.
    There is a mythology connected with birth of Thulasi, I have heard in childhood, but details forgotten now. She was the wife of a Rakshasa or something , but a very pure lady, so God made her his favourite plant. Something like that. Can you tell us the story please ?

Manjula

6. Chitvish

My dear Meenu !

Thankyou for the F B.
    Tulasi is so much part of our culture & watering a tulsi plant, applying haldi, kumkum is one of our daily enjoyable chores. So it follows as a corollary that we do not pluck leaves from a plant which we worship !
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. Chitvish

Dear Manjula !

Thanks for your F b.
    I think, what you are referring to is the story of Jalandar. His wife was Brinda & he was granted the boon of immortality, so long as she remained an utterly chaste woman. This made Jalandar very arrogant & he tortured devas & rishis.
    Vishnu decided to establish yugadharma, to protect the good & the righteous. He appeared before Brinda in the guise of Jalandar. She shared a warm smile with him. Before she realised that what appeared before her was an illusion, Jalandar's life ended. So Brinda cursed Vishnu that he will be also separated from his wife & suffer. That is said to be one of the causes of Rama's separation from Sita in Ramavathar.
    Vishnu wanted to proclaim to the world, his devotee's virtue & make her immortal & divine.He made her body flow as a river and converted her energy into a plant on the bank of the river. The river was named Gandak & the plant, tulsi. To bless her always with grace, Vishnu manifested himself as a black spherical stone ( salagram) & took his abode in the river. Thus Vishnu as saligram & Brinda as tulsi became inseparable.
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Wow, more and more insight and info on the Tulsi. I like to know as much as possible about our culture and scriptures etc. So this is really a treasure trove.
    Another aspect is- while the Tamil people have their Tulasi madam on the back yard, the Malayalis and the North Indians have it in the front. I keep mine on the sun shade just above my front door, I cannot keep it on the steps.
    Wherever we keep Tulasi, it is bound to bring us properity.

9. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

துளஸி மகிமை

1. நாரத மகரிஷி ப்ருது மகாராஜாவுக்குச் சொல்கிறார்:-

சகல தேவதைகளும் தங்களுக்கு ஒரு கார்யம் ஸித்திக் வேண்டி ஸ்ரீபராசக்தியை போற்றுகிறார்கள். அப்போது ஆகாயத்தில் உலகெங்கும் பிரகாசிக்கும் தேஜோ மண்டலத்தை கண்டார்கள். அங்கே தோன்றிய ஆகாச வாணியையும் செவியுற்றனர்.

2. தேவதைகளால் பிரார்திக்கபட்ட சக்தியானவள், "ஸத்வம், ரஜஸ், தமஸ் என்கிர மூன்று வித குணங்களால் நான் தான் கௌரீ, லக்ஷ்மி, சரஸ்வதி என்கிற மூன்று வித பேதத்தை அடைந்திருக்கிறேன். தேவர்களே! அங்கே செல்லுங்கள். உஙகளுக்குக் கார்ய ஸித்தி உண்டாகும்" என்று ஆக்ஞ்யை இட்டாள்.

3. அதற்குப் பிறகு சகல தேவர்களும் பராசக்தியின் வாக்கியப் படி பக்தியுடன் கௌரீ முதலான மூன்று பேர்களையும் வந்தனம் செய்தார்கள்.

4. கௌரீ முதலானவர்கள் தேவதைகளிடம் ப்ரீதியுடன் சில விதைகளை கொடுத்து, " இந்த விதைகளை ஸ்ரீ விஷ்ணு இருக்கும் இடத்தில் விதைத்தால் உங்கள் கார்யம் ஸித்திக்கும்" என்று சொன்னார்கள். தேவர்களும் அப்படியே விதைத்தார்கள்.

5. ஸ்ரீ பார்வதி தேவியின் அம்சமாக ஸத்வம், ரஜஸ், தமஸ் எங்கிற மூன்று குணங்களோடும் கூடிய துளஸி அங்கே உண்டாயிற்று. அதைப் பார்த்து விஷ்ணு மிகவும் ஸந்தோஷத்துடன் அதை எடுத்துகொன்டு வைகுண்டம் சென்றார். விஷ்ணுவுக்குத் துளசியிடம் அதிகமான ப்ரீதி உண்டு. துளசியின் அடியில் ஸ்ரீ விஷ்ணுவை பூஜித்தால் விசேஷமான சிரேயஸுகள் உண்டாகும்.

6. எந்தக் கிருகத்தில் துளசி வனம் இருக்கின்றதோ, அரசனே! மிகவும் பரிசுத்தமான அந்தக் கிருகத்தில் யம கிங்கரர்கள் வரமாட்டார்கள்.

7. ஸகல பாபங்களையும் போக்கும்; ஸகல இஷ்டங்களையும் அளிக்கும். துளசி வனத்தை யார் உண்டு பண்ணுகிறார்களோ; அவர்கள் யமனை அடைய மாட்டார்கள்.

8. நர்மதா நதியின் தரிசனம்; கங்கை ஸ்னானம் துளசி வனத்தின் சம்பந்தம், இம்மூன்றும் ஸமமான பலனை கொடுக்கும்.

9. துளசியை வளர்த்து, காப்பாற்றி, தரிசிப்பதால் வாக்கு, மனம், சரீரம் மூன்றினாலும் செய்த பாபங்கள் போகும்.

10. துளசியால் ஸ்ரீ விஷ்ணுவையோ, பரமேசுவரனையோ பூஜிக்கிறவன் முக்தியையடைகிறான். மறுபடியும் பிறவியை அடையமாட்டான்.

11. புஷ்கரம் கங்கை முதலான புண்ய தீர்த்தங்கள், விஷ்ணு முதலான தேவதைகள் எல்லோரும் துளசீ தளத்தில் எப்பொழுதும் வசிக்கிறார்கள்.

12. துளசியை சிரஸில் தரித்துக்கொண்டு பிராணனை விடுபவன் அனேக பாபங்கள் செய்திருந்தாலும் வைகுண்டத்தை அடைகிறான்.

13. துளசியை கட்டையால் அரைத்த சந்தனத்தை, எவன் தரிக்கிறானோ, அவன் பாபம் செய்ய மாட்டான்.

14. துளசி தளங்களுடைய நிழல்படும் இடங்களில் சிரார்த்தம் (திதி) செய்ய வேண்டும். அதனால் பித்ருக்களுக்குத் திருப்தி ஏற்படும் என்று பத்ம புராணம் கூறுகின்றது.

(the story about this to be continued in the next post.)

Source - Hinduism Sanathana Dharma and Vedanta: presented by Shri Kanchi Kamakoti Peetham : kamakoti.org

10. Priya Amarnath

Priya Amarnath Bronze IL'ite

My dear Chithra

Just now read your wonderful posting about Thulasi. I enjoyed reading each and every line of your postings. It gave a clear picture of why we do thulasi poojai at home. The thulasi maadam pciture also look very nice. I learned the thulasi sothram from my mom, she chant it regularly while doing thulasi poojai.

Love and regards
    Priya