The Importance of Tulsi

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

In Hindu culture, tulsi (basil) occupies a revered position among shrubs and herbs – a position of importance from the point of view of health, religion and even decorative value. It is unmatched as an offering to gods and goddesses.

In the scriptures, tulsi is described as the “ Mother of the Universe”. VishNu is supposed to take abode in a house where tulsi is grown. In such a house, no one undergoes sufferings, such as poverty, illness or separation from dear ones. No wonder, the tulsi plant occupies a prominent position in many households.

The high esteem for tulsi has a scientific basis. In addition to its spiritual qualities, tulsi has been found to possess extraordinary qualities of healing and promoting health. Researchers in modern chemistry have found tulsi to have the properties of killing harmful micro-organisms and that tulsi is a herbal plant with great medicinal value. Tulsi removes bad odour from the environment and controls pollution. It is used as medicine for controlling and curing heart diseases. Thus, the wind that carries the fragrance of tulsi spreads health and well-being wherever it blows.

Tulsi leaves are considered an air purifier and some people believe that the smell of the leaves keep their minds clear. It is very much used in ayurveda and naturotherapy as its essence is supposed to give relief from cough and cold.

Having a tulsi plant in the house, has for ages been considered a symbol of culture by the Hindus, who believe, it spreads a spiritual aura and promotes material prosperity and well-being of the household. The Hindu scriptures enjoin on us to look upon tulsi not as a mere plant, but as the divine representative of God VishNu. Tulsi is an important component of VishNu puja in temples as well as homes. Tulsi thirtha ( water in which tulsi leaves are soaked) is the prasada given in VaishNavite temples.

Wherever the wind that has touched a tulsi plant blows, sacred thoughts arise, spiritual upliftment prevails and goodness fills the mind. It is only because of these ennobling qualities that tulsi occupies a lofty position in the spiritual world.

The Hindus cling to the tulsi even in the last moments of their lives. Ganga water, further sanctified by the presence of tulsi in it, is dropped into the mouth of the dying person in the belief that the soul would attain liberation.
    Thus tulsi occupies an exalted position because of its spiritual, medicinal and scientific properties.

Let us close with Tulsi Stuti;

Tulasi s(h)ree sakhi s(h)ubae paapahaariNim puNyadae
    Namasthae naaradanuthae namo naaraayaNa priyae

துளஸி ஸ்ரீஸகி சுபே பாபஹாரிணிம் புண்யதே
    நமஸ்தே நாரதனுதே நமோ நாராயணப்ரியே

Oh tulsi, you are the friend of Lakshmi Devi. You are pure and destroy all sins. You give luck, auspiciousness and merit. I pray to you, the one praised by the sage Narada and the favourite of NarayaNa.

Love,
    Chithra.

Attached Files:

2. Chitvish

Thulasi Stotram

ஸ்ரீமத் துளசியம்மா திருவே கல்யாணியம்மா
    வெள்ளிகிழமை தன்னில் விளங்குகின்ற மாதாவே
    செவ்வாய்க்கிழமை செழிக்க வந்த செந்திருவே
    தாயாரே யுந்தன் தாளிணையில் நான் பணிந்தேன்

பச்சைப் பசுமையுள்ள துளசி நமஸ்தே
    பரிமளிக்கும் மூலக் கொழுந்தே நமஸ்தே
    அற்பப் பிறப்பைத் தவிர்ப்பாய் நமஸ்தே
    அஷ்ட ஐச்வர்யம் அளிப்பாய் நமஸ்தே

ஹரியுடைய தேவி அழகி நமஸ்தே
    அழைத்தார்க்கு இன்பம் அளிப்பாய் நமஸ்தே
    வனமாலை என்னும் மருவே நமஸ்தே
    வைகுண்ட வாஸியிடம் மகிழ்வாய் நமஸ்தே

அன்புடனே நல்ல அருந்துளசி கொண்டு வந்து
    மண்ணின் மேல் நட்டு மகிழ்ந்து நல்ல நீரூற்றி
    முற்றத்தில் நான் வளர்த்து முத்துப் போல் கோலமிட்டு
    செங்காவி சுற்றுமிட்டு திருவிளக்கு ஏற்றிவைத்து

பழங்களுடன் தேங்காயும் தாம்பூலம் தட்டில் வைத்து
    புஷ்பங்களைச் சொரிந்து பூஜித்த பேர்களுக்கு
    என்ன பலனென்று ஹ்ருசிகேசர் தான் கேட்க
    மங்களமான துளசி மகிழ்ந்துரைப்பாள்:

மங்களமாய் என்னை வைத்து மகிழ்ந்து உபாஸித்தவர்கள்
    தீவினையைப் போக்கி சிறந்த பலன் நானளிப்பேன்
    தரித்திரத்தை நீக்கி செல்வத்தை நான் கொடுப்பேன்
    புத்திரனில்லாதவர்க்குப் புத்திர பாக்கியமளிப்பேன்

கன்னிகைகள் பூஜை செய்தால் நல்ல கணவரைக் கூட்டுவிப்பேன்
    கிரகஸ்தர்கள்பூஜை செய்தால் கீர்த்தியுடன் வாழவைப்பேன்
    முமுக்ஷுக்கள் பூஜை செய்தால் மோக்ஷபதம் கொடுப்பேன்

கோடி காராம்பசுவைக் கன்றுடனே கொண்டு வந்து
    கொம்புக்குப் பொன்னமைத்து குளம்புக்கு வெள்ளி கட்டி
    கங்கை கரைதனிலே கிரஹண புண்ணிய காலத்தில்
    வாலுருவி அந்தணர்க்கு மஹாதானஞ் செய்த பலன்
    நானளிப்பேன் சத்தியமென்று நாயகியுஞ் சொல்லலுமே

அப்படியே யாகவென்று திருமால் அறிக்கை யிட்டார்
    இப்படியே அன்புடனே ஏற்றித் தொழுதவர்கள்
    அற்புதமாய் வாழ்ந்திடுவார் பரதேவிதன் அருளால்

அன்புடன்
    சித்ரா.

3. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Dear ChitVish,

Reading your article on Tulsi itself feels like as if my mind is cleansed. It was so purifying and divine. As usual, great article from you!

Regards
    Vidya

4. Chitvish

My dear Vidya !

Can't help saying, a very sweet F B from you !
    Thanks a lot.
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Tulasi

Dear Chitra,

That was a very enlightening write up on Tulasi plant and its significance in Hindu households. The medicinal value of this plant is also widely known and you have given a very detailed explanation of it for our benefit. It is only very recently that I have the pride of having this precious plant in my house. It gives me a special satisfaction to see the Tulasi every morning when I come down and prepare the morning cuppa. I shall now learn the small Tulasi Stuti to show my obeisance.
    A lovely picture of the Tulasi....I have(suddenly) forgotten the name given to that special construction to keep the plant...can you please tell me its name? TIA!

L, Kamla

6. perfectly_perfect

perfectly_perfect Silver IL'ite

Good to read

Dear Chitra,
    Its very good to read about tulasi. We worship tulasi as my mom do, but dint know why. now some of my doubts are clear but still i do ve some n i expect you to clear them.
    1. Why we keep tulasi out side the home?
    2. In case we cant keep tulasi out, can we keep her inside?
    3. One of my friends daily take one tulasi leaf after worship n someone says we shouldnt chew tulasi leaf. What's right?
    Can you pls clarify my doubts?
    Thanks

7. kb2000

kb2000 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Kamala,

Do you mean tulasi maadam?

l,
    kb

8. Hamsadhwani

Hamsadhwani Senior IL'ite

Tulasi

dear Mrs.C,

That was a wonderful write up on Thulasi. I was looking forward to it as you had mentioned you would post it this Thursday. It was clear and concise.

I am really happy to see the sloka in Tamil. My athai used to say it a lot when we were growing up!

Thanks

9. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

lovely..

Dear Chitra
    Thoroughly enjoyed your write up:clap on the tulasi plant.I learnt the slokam which you have given , from my mom recently and I was sure you would be posting the same today.My guess proved right..:-D

This statement of yours is very apt.. I experience it every morning..When I enter the balcony where I have kept my plant I feel very fresh and rejuvenated.

Thanks a lot

Regards
    Sowmya

10. Chitvish

My dear Kamla !

I am surprised that you are able to grow tulsi, where you live !
    kb has rightly said the name of the place where tulsi is kept is tulsi madam. It is available in Chennai in cement & terracota.
    Thankyou for the F B.
    Love,
    Chithra.