1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The (im)purity of having your period...I just don't get it

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Bubbles25, Sep 18, 2013.

1. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I for one think that if the menstrual cycle is impure, the worse offender would be men farting in the marital bed. Certainly the marital bed should be the center of religious and societal importance and the woman in said bed a devi at least in her own home, so what is more offensive than the habitual farting of men!! They should be given, at the first daily infraction, a strong dose of bitter medicine, sent to a hard narrow and thoroughly uncomfortable cot in the cattle pen (or the garage) (and in ALL weather no matter how cold) after 10 full prostrations to their wives and a full written apology. Return to marital bed depends on the how forgiving said devi is that day.

OP: seems women would not be so singled out if practices like this existed!

5 people like this.
  2. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Nandhu, I've been trying to PM you for ages now... your inbox is full!

3. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Thank you, Aashuabhi. I had not realized it was this bad. This little YouTube video is initially very saddening, but ultimately triumphant. Menstruation manifests like the symptom of a disease, but even with a little biological knowledge, it is clear that it is a natural part of life. It really is no different than pooping and peeing, and I'm pretty sure everyone does that, even "pure" menfolk. I'm not sure why it gets such special, and undeserved, treatment from those who would appoint themselves our guardians of what is clean, and what is not.

Whatever the reasons for the restrictions in the past, they clearly do not apply anymore, even to those who rationalize that it's a woman chance to rest and recover. Firstly, a woman should be in charge of her own life enough to have a rest from cooking and cleaning (or whatever it is she does) whether she has her period or not, if that is what she wants or needs. Secondly, all of us tend to keep doing what we do even if we are slightly or severely uncomfortable. Travel, swimming, working, running after kids... it's entirely possible to keep going, especially with modern sanitary protection. And Advil. Come on, people... it's 2013.

5 people like this.
  4. Bubbles25

Bubbles25 Senior IL'ite

I'm a little frustrated by this kind of idiotic, backward thinking. My being born into an Iyer family was not my choice. I'm not a complete moron - I know whom I married and I know why I made the decision to marry him. That doesn't mean that there aren't issues in a marriage or any relationship for that matter, and this happens to be one of the issues in my marriage.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2013
    3 people like this.
  5. Bubbles25

Bubbles25 Senior IL'ite

Thank you. The caste system is as nonsensical as the belief that a woman is impure when menstruating. It wasn't my choice to be born into a particular caste, but my bodily functions are nobody's business of my own and my choices should be mine! not something that a "priest family" would impose on me.

2 people like this.
  6. Bubbles25

Bubbles25 Senior IL'ite

Lol, love it :)

7. lucky2

lucky2 Platinum IL'ite

im not sure how to respond..i still feel this is a pety issue..let me tell you this ..im not so religious but believe in god..!
    taking head bath on 4th day doesnt give us pain i believe and i personally feel myself clean and get relived from menstrual cramps only aftr i take head bath on my first day of menstruation..i guess there is a reason behind many such things and i believe evrything is for a reason and for our own sake..!
    and about farting..everyone does..right..i mean both men and women..isnt it?

8. Maddy2087

Maddy2087 Platinum IL'ite

Few Iyer traditions are very difficult to follow and i end up having fights with my mom ... :)

Mom : Naan kulichitu vandhiruken enna thothudathe (I have showered don't touch me )
    Me : I deliberately touch her and ask " edavadhu aacha (Did anything happen) ? " :rotfl

4 people like this.
  9. steve

steve Platinum IL'ite

Private joke from college. Some Tamil guys could pour (thus drink) hot burning coffee into their mouth without letting the cup touch their lips. They used to say that that's how they drink coffee (or anything) back home. It was such a fascinating thing to see. We all used to watch it in wonderment. One guy finally said" You guys are really untouchables!!!! :cheers

2 people like this.
  10. Maddy2087

Maddy2087 Platinum IL'ite

To be more precise "Tumbleraa Yeccha pannama kudikanum"

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013