1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Idli Saga!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by padma0604, Jun 25, 2016.

1. padma0604

padma0604 Silver IL'ite

My hands were itching !!

I made round,fluffy pooris and I was desperate to post those pictures on social media. How wonderful.Everyone will give compliments and there would be hundreds of likes. Won't I become popular? People will wonder about my multi tasking capabilities and I would bask in the glory. I was super excited dreaming about the likes and comments that I would receive for my poori post, while arranging breakfast.

My thoughts went to my friend, X's post two days back. How funny? She made idlis and posted the pictures of them. Of all the things pictures of idlis?? As if making idlis was some herculian task. And how people poured over saying "yummy" "can we come home for breakfast?" "Such lovely idlis" "Great!" etc etc. Looks like people are mad. They acted as if they were aliens who visited earth for the first time and never saw or ate idlis in their life. To top it all my friend patiently sat and liked each comment and said thank you to each comment as if she had climbed Mount Everest barefoot. Huh...so much of drama over a bunch of idlis. Dumb idlis and silly people. The other day I posted pictures of white rice and nobody responded!! I was seething with anger. I must do something to counter this. So I made pooris today!!

The problem now is, I do not know how to take pictures on my mobile (White rice picture was taken by my cousin). I asked my son who was was eating his pooris to take a picture of his poori plate and also a selfie of all three of us while eating pooris. He looked at me strangely and both my DH and son exchanged glances. I was irritated with their reaction and also my dependence on them. I asked my son to teach me to take a photograph on my mobile. My son looked at me with a pained look and said "Ma, really? You want me to teach you now? You can see that I am getting ready to go to college?"

"Oh..common sonny, we know you never really worry about time, that too when you have to go to college. Listen who is talking to whom? This is what is called devils reciting stotrams!!" I said disgustedly and turned to my DH.

"I do not know how to take pictures, don't ask me," he said hurriedly slurping down the coffee post breakfast.

I was getting restless with this non co operation at home when my son asked me quietly:"But ma, why do you need the pictures of pooris of all the things, and that too a selfie when we are all eating?"

That broke the dam of my vexation. I poured over and told both of them the idli saga, how silly my friend "X" was to post the pictures of her silly "idlis" and garner so many likes and comments and how sly she was in her talk and how I came to know of all these dramas that take place on social media and how now I realize that she is fake and mean.

My DH and Son exchanged glances once again and like a chorus they sang out : "You mean to say, you knew so much about your so called close friend just through social media and pictures of idlis she posted there?"

I said vehemently "Yes".

They both stood up and said "Why is it causing you so much anger? Social media is meant for pleasant interaction...not to compete with one another. Technology is to help us become better human beings. Be happy with yourself for what you are and let others be."

After all that "Geethopadesam" by DH and son, I am thinking..and lot of questions popped up:
    How much should I let someone else impact me? Where should I draw a line?
    Sharing with joy someone else's accomplishments and seething with jealousy over the same - what is the thin veil that separates these two thoughts?
    How do I get joy from within instead of searching for it outside and beyond me??

Ps : Social Media exists - we have to choose to think happy and be happy.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Padma,

Being appreciated and wanted are two feelings the mind thrives on naturally and it is a human tendency to keep looking for appreciation. The social media having understood this nature of human, has introduced likes using that as a tool to promote the products and services. This resulted in one feeling happy, sad, jealous, proud, etc. even with people we have never met. Thank you for sharing your experience. I can relate to it easily as most discussions at home are about the posts of various people we know whether it is good or bad.

Viswa

padma0604 likes this.
  3. harinikanthi

harinikanthi Silver IL'ite

hi padma,nice write up.cant stop laughing:roflmao:

padma0604 likes this.
  4. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

Idlis... How did you resist gobbling them up. Every time I make them the only thing I care about it how soon can I finish and how many !

Social media is social media, your family is right this was ought to make life simpler a but we human are to cool to remain simple..hence This complexity

kaniths and jskls like this.
  5. padma0604

padma0604 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Viswa garu.
    This was a creation and not my personal experience. But the emotions reflected in the snippet are universal. I am editing it to that effect now.

True that we human beings crave for appreciation !!! Strange that human beings are very taciturn when it comes to appreciating others !!

6. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Padma dear congratulations this post is a lso nominated by Satchi. Two of your posts nominated on the same day . good going. All the best to get the award. Some people post a thread and log out but I wait to see if there are feedbacks and feel very happy when there is immediate response and more happy if there are more responses and much more when it is nominated. So you can imagine how my position will be when I get a n award. Thanks to my daughter who taught how to take photos.
    tEnjoyed reading your humerous post

7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Padma, dear Padma, how can you do this to me at the end of the day? I am an avowed foodie and have a rough time keeping my hands off food. I never make pooris at home, because I will eat too many. So if ever I feel like, I eat one plate may be once in 2-3 years in a restaurant. And now you have made me think of masala pooris. Every time I see that ad on telly - the one where the lady is trying to avoid those drool worthy pooris, I leave the room. It's just too torturous for me!

As for idlis, they are my favourite food. I take great pride in making them absolutely white and fluffy. So here are some for you. :-D

Idlis for brekkie - IL.jpg

It's a standing joke at home. Whenever I take a picture of my plate, BH asks whether I have finished doing naivedyam! :roflmao:

suryakala, kcb, Akanksha1982 and 4 others like this.
  8. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

First coffee then Idlies/Pooris ... Enjoyed your writing. Social media issue that everybody can relate too... Many have the craving to live their life on social media while some share the pictures of the places they visit some share everything starting with a filter coffee... I Just enjoy and move on...

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    padma0604 likes this.
  9. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

These idlis.....:yum::yum:

10. padma0604

padma0604 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Iyerviji gau!! Ayyo this is not my personal experience. I just made up a story to bring out the emotional aspect. I do not have a son !! I have one daughter who is in US now. She and DH taught me many a thing with reference to internet. BTW I actually take good photographs :)) Probably I should have posted this in stories..anyways I was in a hurry to post it and am here. Learning experience you see!!
    About nomination - I am surprised. I did not at all expect this !!Was just trying to write something of value.

iyerviji likes this.