1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Hypocrite

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Apr 11, 2007.

1. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Respected Sir,

Best regards...

I read this post a few days ago Sir.......but, could not compose myself to post a feed back....

It was just like a brilliant scene from K.Balanchander's films....

But, could understand your plight and your composure when you left the house without a comment....

That is the only thing a wise soul would do Sir.....rather than saying something and adding fuel to the never-dieing flame of fury your host hosts...or rather houses in his heart......shakehead

2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri sir
    Now this is unbelievable! No not just your clients' behavior but the fact that just yesterday I was talking to an IL friend about how fed up I am of the hypocrisy all around me!
    And today I see this thread!

I was choking with anger by the time I reached the end!

What to say about such persons? I felt tears welling up for those hapless women. But little does that man know that his behavior is only distancing him from his own and only they will be there for him till the end.
    Who knows sir, one day the lady might just say "enough" and show her full wrath; there is this tamil saying, "Saadhu mirandaal kaadu kollaadhu"...

Unfortunately, most of the hypocrites I have encountered think they are very intelligent and smart, and believe the other person cannot see through them and their shallowness.

2 people like this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Your client definitely needs to be evaluated by a practicing psychiatrist. He must have been raised in a extremely hostile and controlled environment that he was reacting in his later part of life with someone else. Mostly the children emulate their parents and it could be his dad who raised him with that attitude. It is difficult for a person to develop that attitude all of a sudden and there should be a deep reason behind such attitude. Again, who would really bell the cat? It would be hard for his wife to even mention that to him considering his temperament.

Honestly, I would only suggest spouses in such controlled environment should revolt with full vigor without hurting themselves. Many times, I come to the conclusion that women are driven by the following factors a) not affect their own family, b) not causing pain to their parents and c) not deviating from cultural standards (feeling the pressure to live with the husband with all his shortcomings). To be honest, all of the above factors are defeated by being a silent spectator to verbal and/or physical and/or emotional abuse by the husband.

No amount of writing or women's liberation movements would help unless the women struck in such environment realize the need to speak for themselves. When they do, the men and women around them should strongly support them instead of asking them to make adjustments. It is general practice for most parents to tell the married daughter to be patient and go back and try to adjust with the husband. This attitude only makes the married daughter to firm up their views not to inform the parents. Only a social awakening could resolve those issues. People used to say in Tamil Nadu that problems relating to in laws would resolve one day or the other as the marriage stays stronger but a problem with a husband would never get resolved for life.

It is very painful to hear about it leave alone visiting them and come out feeling helpless. But, Cheeniya Sir, it is also true that we could only help people who would like to be helped. We can only pray for these helpless women.

Viswa

4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Bhargavi
    Honestly I walked out silently as I was speechless with fury. His split personality upset me greatly. How suave he used to be at the Club offering every friend a drink on him, joking and laughing! He was completely different at home and that shocked me into total silence.

I never mentioned this to any our common friends as by this time I was not very sure who was a decent person and who a devil in disguise like him. I did not want my feedback presented to him totally twisted and out of context. That would make that hapless woman's life more miserable.
    Sri

5. Cheeniya

My dear Kamala
    The classic symptom of a hypocrite is his labouring under an illusion that he is playing his game very convincingly. He never realises that he is like Hans Christian Andersen's Emperor in his new clothes. He thinks he is clothed fully but even a child can see how naked he is!

I wrote this about 5 years back but there is no sign of that woman or her children rising in revolt against him and that makes me really sad. I feel sad that the law is so protective of such women in distress but what can such a law do when some women willingly go through their suffering in silence?
    Sri

6. Cheeniya

Dear Viswa
    In India, wife-bashing is very common particularly in lower middle class families and no one thinks that it is a psychological aberration. Many women suffer it silently for various compelling reasons. It is in this context that empowering of women is assuming great importance nowadays. It is the over-dependence on their husbands that make these women take all the physical and mental abuse as something that they are fated to endure. Take for example this case. Who can even suggest to the husband that he must see a psychiatrist? As far as he is concerned, this is perhaps a perfectly normal behaviour and a sign of his macho image! I even thought of the possibility of this guy doing all this to impress his friends visiting his house but the haunted look on the faces of his wife and children is all only too obvious.

The law in India today is ready to pounce on such sadists if only the suffering woman decides to complain but unfortunately it rarely happens particularly if the woman is totally dependent on him for her survival. It is a pity that the parents of such women continue to counsel patience and indirectly indicate their unwillingness to support.

As you say, we can only pray for these women.
    Sri

7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Anna

I think in present days ladies wont tolerate what happened in your Client'shouse. Some are there who are patient and tolerate. One of my friend's husband shouts at his wife when guests are there. There is another friend who is the boss of the house. His wife is all the time in the kitchen only when her husband is at home and the TV is also kept in the kitchen only. He only buys everything for the house and for his daughter's marriage also he did all the shopping. Only for few years she started going out for Bhagavatham classes , now she is no more.

8. Cheeniya

My dear Viji
    So you have again gone to my archives! The hypocrite was a true incident that I happened to witness during my professional career. It affected me deeply for a long long time. Men who cannot treat their wives in a dignified way are worse than the scum of the earth. In fact, I slowly tapered my business dealings with him and we lost complete touch of each other now. My retirement has done a lot of good to me, the foremost being that I do not run the risk having to encounter such people any more!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  9. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya sir,

My blood boils when I see such plaques especially the one you mentioned. They make it appear to others as if they are very accommodating, progressive, liberal men. But the private face of such men is quite the opposite of what would like us to believe. Your title is so apt.

10. Cheeniya

My dear Satchi
    Talking of my title being apt, I was just wondering about it. As you know, hypo-tension, hypoglycemia and other hypos are medically used to describe the lowest form of that particular malady or disease. As opposed to it, hypertension, hyperglycemia and other hypers are used to denote the highest form of the disease. If a hypocrite can make your blood boil, I do not know what a hypercrite will do to you!
    Sri

1 person likes this.