1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Hurdle And The Ladder

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, Mar 17, 2010.

1. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridharji

You have to forgive me for my late coming here, but I have been reading the blogs in my own time. Life is just a wee bit busy at this end for sometime (busy being a bit knotty/naughty??!! :)). But I like the idea of reading the blog and reflecting on them at my own pace. Some things make sense to me some time later down the line and then I go "aah yes now I remember what that blog was about!" and then I sit to read them again.

Your come back blogs after your daughter's wedding have all been more powerful than the ones prior (my personal feeling). I loved reading them and also the interaction you have with everybody who have posted their feedbacks. THE WEDDING NIGHT was getting just too emotional for me but what a revelation it was. I loved the idea of seeing DEATH as the union of the soul with GOD. That is just magic because having suffered all these years in a physical body, one should be rejoicing the fact that it is time for the soul to fnally have the reunion. For the first time I did not hesitate to read about DEATH and its interpretation. I was all teary reading it and your namesake was a great man. He has not only shared his wisdom with you, Ezhil and Niru but with all of us. Rumi's poem was just too perrrfect for the occassion. I salute the great man and thank you so much for bringing it to us.

THE HURDLE AND THE LADDER - WOW what a story that is!!! It takes more than a himalayan effort to be able to be like that. This is an email that came to me and I feel apt for this particular blog, especially the last few lines. So sharing with you here.

A beautiful poem from Rabindranath Tagore....

Go not to the temple to put flowers upon the feet of GOD
    First fill your own house with fragrance of love

Go not to the temple to light candles before the altar of GOD
    First remove the darkness of sin from your heart

Go not to the temple to bow down your head in prayer
    First learn to bow in humility before your fellowman

Go not to the temple to pray on bended knees
    First bend down to lift someone who is down-trodden

Go not to the temple to ask for forgiveness for your sins
    First forgive from your heart those who have sinned against you.

You are the chosen courier! Glad to be at the receiving end of these wonderful messages.

Thank you.

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Janani,

To take the image of the ladder and then go on to compare it with our traditional Paramapadam game, well, that awesome. When I was a kid we used to fast on Vaikunda Ekadasi days. On that day this Paramapada Sobana Padam will be available outside the gates of the temple. Our gang would visit the temple come out out the Sorkavassal buy Paramapadam game and then come home to play.

That is a lesson in life. One can go up very fast. But can also come up faster. The long snake which at times would take you from somewhere near the final destination down to the starting point will be the most terrific of all snakes.
    This game has a profound spiritual philosophy. Whatever may be our level of advancement we can still be brought down by anger, lust, greed and a million other snakes waiting for us. Some of them are waiting near the top.

I am happy you liked the Rumi's poem. The analogy brought back memories of my childhood days.
    thanks for dropping in.
    sridhar

3. varalotti

Dear Akila,

Hatred is like drinking poison and hoping the other person to die. They are very relevant to this blog. More than smoking or drinking, hatred is injurious to our health - physical, emotional and spiritual.

We always think that we are entitled to something - some fairplay, some courtesy, some kindness and all. The fact is that we are not entitled to anything. Either from God or from our fellow beings. We can express our anger if we cannot contain it. But to carry it over, to take revenge, as it happens in most of the movies, well, that kind of hatred kills.

A desire for revenge always keeps our wounds fresh, deep and unhealed, they say.

Many times when I drive I shout at the erring drivers. Those people vanish within a few seconds. But later when I come home I find that I could not sleep, read or write. Whatever words I used to shout at them will come back haunting at me.

I have observed that the only antidote for that bad feeling is to sincerely pray for the person I shouted at. Only then can I see my poise returning to me.

Simply because your courier man delivers you the state of art Dell Laptop it does not mean that he knows how to use it. And simply because this courier boy has delivered a lesson on forgiveness it does not mean that he has learnt it. As it happens most of the time I have delivered an unlearnt lesson.

To mitigate the effect of heaviness caused by this blog I have prepared a particularly light Kutti Blog due tomorrow. I don't want you to go to your week-end celebrations with a heavy mind. Please do read the KB before you call it a week.
    sridhar

4. varalotti

Dear Parvathi,

Yes, I consider myself worthy of your comments. If you had read my comment appended to the Deva and Naren blog you would have understood that I have scant respect for the so called saints, priests, padres, Bishops and Imams. On the other hand I always want to give my pranams to housewives struggling hard with their time, striving to help their husbands, children and in-laws as well as the working woman who is juggling a career and a home.
    When my books come out I look forward to receiving comments from housewives, small traders, retired teachers and the like. Not the scholarly people or the geniuses.
    This long prelude is necessary to put your fears to rest. Believe me I'm worthy of your comments and please do post whatever comes to your mind.

And one more thing, Parvathi. I am not here to lead you. I simply can't. That's not within my bandwidth. But as a courier I deliver materials that can make you lead or lead you on the right path. The credit goes to the source of materials - Rumi, scriptures and the lot and not the courier, which is what I am.

It is never too late to start. I have also started. But looks like it might take a few lifetimes before I get that Sridhar's mind or Dalai Lama's stature. So let's all keep on trying. After all it's the journey that counts.

Start now. Let's all make a genuine try.
    And Parvathi, don't forget to read the Kutti Blog I am going to post tomorrow. It's an antidote to the heaviness of this blog.
    love,
    sridhar

5. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar sir,

I was thinking for long time but still i dont know how to build the virtue of forgiving. I mean, while its quite difficult for me to fogive my loved ones, then how (when) will i be able to move to the next step of forgiving enemies. I should admit that after reading this heavy stuff, i made up my mind to start forgiving. After which i think i can try enter the next step of the ladder.

Thanks Sridhar sir

6. Amma15

Amma15 Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridharji,

Its me again. I read your blog several times and I think I am a little wiser. I had never looked at Hurdles as The Ladder to reach God. To forgive someone who has hurt you is very difficult - more so when you know it is unjustified. A Herculean task indeed. But when I think about it, why are we able to forgive those whom we love more easily than those whom we dont?
    I must say I feel lighter today because I included in my list one person who has hurt me so much. Several times when I pray even when she comes to my mind I make a conscious effort to NOT think of her . Today I did and prayed God to keep her safe. I am not sure if I have forgiven her but my heart does feel lighter. Thank you.
    Usha

7. meenakshirajan

meenakshirajan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    Definitely an apt title. Your blog always have an impact.You have brought out the quality of Dalai Lama and Sridhar (your namesake) very nicely. Of course, each one of us needs to imbibe such qualities. Though we try to practice this, consciously or unconsciously we start thinking we are not saints and we miss out. am i right Sridhar?
    Meenakshi

8. varalotti

Srividya,
    You are right. In fact once I saw your question I too had the same doubt. We have shown some one as so spiritual while dying. How would he have been while living. I had to then weave a story as an answer to this statement.
    Yes Srividya, the topic is heavy because it is on the frontier of acceptance. If I were to write don't steal or be true to your partner etc. it will be very clear and light and for that reason it would be boring. Remember if we find a spiritual topic heavy then there is a conflict going on in our mind. And our growth occurs only after we feel this heaviness.
    Now don't worry about the heaviness as I am introducing a sweetener tomorrow in the form of a Kutti blog.
    sridhar

9. varalotti

And my dear DD I too am no different from anyone here. I felt heavy while writing it and even heavy while reading it again and again for editing. Allow enough time for the lesson to sink in. But once it goes in then it would wake an irreversible change in our personalities.

Well, the poem is by Rumi and so is the title. Dalai Lama story is by the courtesy of Andrew Harvey. I just wove the other Sridhar's story to pack in those heavy lessons.

I promise the Friday's blog will be a sweetener. And please do read it before you start your week end.
    your
    appa

10. varalotti

Dear Shree,

I was missing you in my blogs and thought of reminding you when I saw your response in somebodyelse's blog. And now I have this wonderful comment from you which made my day.

As you have rightly said He gives and I deliver as a courier boy. This tradition has been there in this country for ages. That's the reason the authors of the vedas never thought of signing them with their name. That's why Vedas are called Shruthi. The modern writer of best sellers would boast, 'One day as I was lying on my bed this plot came to my mind..' The Vedas people were more honest. 'We almost heard the words from within' Thats why Vedas are called shruthi, that which has been heard.

Tagore's poetry is awesome. If only I had the powers I would make it a mandatory reading to all those who are entering a temple, church, mosque or any other place of worship.
    Yes, the last two lines are Tagore's commentary to this blog. Every religion contains that prayer. In Christianity the Lord's Prayer reads, "Forgive our trespasses as we forgive the trespasses of others."

It was worth waiting this long for your eloquent comments.
    sridhar