1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The history of 'bride seeing' ceremony!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, May 15, 2008.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

My dear Anna

Interesting post and it was more interesting to read everyone's experiences in briding seeing experience. I also had that experience. My dh had come to see me with his two sisters and brother and made me sing and also had sojji , bhajji. For him I was the first girl he saw. He liked me but felt that I am thin. But his mother told him that after marriage she will put on weight. So we got married and also I was recommended to him by another person who came to see me but we did not get married because I was taller than him. Since my dh was tall he told him that we will be a good match.

Thyagarajan and Cheeniya like this.
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Srama
    I must share a secret here with you about that chorus at my bride seeing ceremony. She started well and when she was on her third line, she probably glanced at me polishing off the sojji and bajji unmindful of her soulful music. This must have disconcerted her and she forgot the fourth line. It was then , my mil joined her to help her out with the fourth line but the bride's siblings thought it was a cue from their mother to join the fun. The only person who loved the entire episode was my dad who had only about 20% of hearing left in him at that time. He watched them with a fixed smile as the decibel level did not bother him and that enthused the siblings to plunge into the song whole heartedly!

Nice to hear that your dad was a SBI executive. That makes us brothers. I was in SBI from 1965 to 1990. Years ago there was a movie called 'The bicycle thief' by Vittorio Di Sica. It was a wonderful movie. The only difference in your dad's case is that he used his bicycle to steal your mum's heart! A wonderful love story.
    Sri

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

Dear Viji
    Mothers are always great optimists. When the girls are thin, they predict that they'll grow fatter after marriage. If they are fat, they'll say they will become thinner after marriage. They make marriage sound like a great leveller of body weights! People say that if the girl is taller than the boy, he would be hen-pecked. I have never been able to verify this statement until I started seeing a serial called 'Idhayam' that is being telecast on Sun TV now!
    Sri

Thyagarajan and Vani09 like this.
  4. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Thyagarajan and Cheeniya like this.
  5. Cheeniya

Dear Manju
    1993 is the year I became a grandfather for the first time! So it is a memorable year for me. It is nice to hear that my thread took you back to your own 'penn parkkum padalam'. I missed reading this thread of yours and now I read it by clicking your link. I don't know why it got moved out of Snippets. That's how I missed it.

This is the first time I am hearing about 'Iddly' being the match maker. Out of every 100 couples, 99 are united by bajji and sojji. The remaining 1 owes it to assorted items like cutlet, pav bhaji and even pizza but Iddly is a great new addition to the time honoured combo of Sojji and Bajji. Coming to think of it, iddly has been denied its rightful place in this match making business. I would even go to the extent of saying that the newly married couples must be blessed with the words 'May you be as inseparable as Iddly and Sambar!

You have narrated the episode very effectively. Write more Manju. There is so much to write about from our own life's experience.
    Sri

Thyagarajan and manjukps like this.
  6. zingy

zingy Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Thanks to Manju for bring this thread to top.

Cheeniya sir,
    I enjoyed your post very much . I could not control my laughter . I was laughing so loud that my colleagues were giving me a strange look probably wondering what happened to this gal :).

P.S I am replying to your post for first time though I have read many of yours. Actually I could not stop myself from replying.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Cheeniya

Dear Zingy
    A hearty welcome to my Ramblings. I am happy that you enjoyed it very much. What can be more rewarding to a writer than hearing that what he writes makes others happy? I have always believed in my life that communicating happiness is a lot more important than just being happy.
    I look forward to greater participation from you
    Sri

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri Uncle,

Thank you for your compliments. Very happy to receive the comment that I have narrated effectively. After typing it in MS word I took three days to edit. My effort didn't go waste. Will definitely try to write more.

Good to know 1993 is memorable for you too. Got married on 31st March 1994.

This thread was moved to married life as the forum moderator Arunarc felt that this would bring smiles to faces who are in bad phase of married life.

Preparing idlis is my great grand aunt's suggestion as we have to "sambandhi aathukaarala nalla gavanikkanum".

Regards
    Manjukps

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

I think the Sojji & Bajji is superstitious belief of the families. They use "Vazakkai" as "Vaza maram" is considered very auspicious. "Vaza" is the word that indicates the positive attitude towards the bride seeing function. Besides "Kesari" is also another auspicious word as it ends with "sari". Earlier, it was also a tradition to ask everyone to sit on the floor in "Jamukkalam". It takes longer for anyone to get up from the floor as opposed to chair.

Singing, taking a cat walk to deliver coffee and then doing a namaskaram is designed by the bridegroom's family to make sure the girl is able to walk, talk and bend without any trouble.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Cheeniya

Dear Viswa
    What you have written appears like some highly researched work. Sojji and Bajji must be of Aryan origin as the Dravidians do not have 'j' in their alphabet. Sojji will have to be written as 'sochi' and bajji as 'pachi'. No one will be able to connect sochi and pachi with the two timeless delicacies. This is perhaps the reason that this is a preferred menu more in families of Aryan origin.

Kesari might have been originally kesara (Que sera) and when the prospective bride walks in with it, she might be singing within herself 'que sera, sera' meaning 'Whatever will be, will be!
    Sri

Viswamitra and Thyagarajan like this.