1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Heavenly Scent of Jasmie

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by limkabook, Apr 8, 2009.

1. limkabook

limkabook Bronze IL'ite

Mmmh... the heavenly scent of jasmine flowers!...will words be ever enough to describe that?...A trailer of nostalgic memories gushes through my mind whenever i think of them .I was born and brought up in a urban area, whereas my paternal grandparents lived in a village. During vacation we used to go to grandma's place, whom we fondly call as chakkara ammomma and stay there for at least a week or two , which at times extended to a month. I was the first grandchild at my fathers side, so when i started calling her by that name , the entire clan of cousins took the liberty of following the lead .Just like the name, she's really a sweet and cuddly person.

So coming to the story of jasmine flowers, there were 2 jasmine plants at her place. Now when i think about them it's kinda strange - We get both mullamottu(jasmine buds) and mullapoovu(jasmine flowers) ,but not from the same plant. There is this huge tamarind tree towards the side of house , infront of the barn and close to the parijatham tree. Jasmine plant , being a climber is some where over the top most portion of the tree , that we could barely see some white spots(for flowers) amidst the green leaves.The option of shaking the huge tamarind tree and getting those beautiful flowers were not an option, so the only alternative for us kids(then!) was to wait for the cool morning breeze to shed those beautiful flowers. we used to collect those flowers in murams(it's square in shape and generally used for removing husk from rice) and make huge garlands with them.We were more interested in waiting for the shower of flowers in early mornings, than making garlands:)

The other jasmine plant was more closer to the barn .So plucking mullamottu(jasmine buds), was totally differentexperience . Those who have been near a barn will agree with me here, that it's just not the best scent. This climber was on a short tree, with lotta thorns and sad part is 70% of branches of that tree is outside the compound wall, and there is this canal that goes just outside the compound wall . We used to collect the mulla mottu in mugs and in the evenings my aunt will make big garlands with them. It's a shame that i never tried to master the art of tying flowers and still regretting about it..

Even today my grandma lives there, but the barn is empty and everyone is busy with their own lives and no one is there to pick those flowers. I wish i could go back to those worry free days - at least for a day!

2. shubhasiddharth

shubhasiddharth Bronze IL'ite

What a beautiful narration on mullapoo.It took me down memory lane big timre.We had one too and we cousins would run around the garden to pluck them,.Each time, we would inhale the fragrance.The girls wouldnt want to wait till it is made into a graland.What fun! Thanks for taking me down the memory lane.

3. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear,
    Even the post has the smell of jasmine the way you wrote. I too travelled the memory lane, the days i used to go plucking flowers to make garland & my favorite is pavizhamalli.
    Jaya

4. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

Loved reading your blog on jasmine which is my ever favourite flower...

I am crazy of these flowers....and i just love perfumes . :), agarbathis, soaps of jasmine

-sunitha

5. limkabook

limkabook Bronze IL'ite

subha : Thanks dear...I know, we girls just love them na

Jaya: that was very sweet of you to say dear...in my aunts place there were lot's of pavizhamalli flowers...miss them now

sunitha: am with you on this dear ...i just love products with fragrance of flower...just love the body creams

6. aruna_077

aruna_077 Senior IL'ite

wow..this reminds me of days wen i used to do "poo kattarudhu"