1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Healing Touch !

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Chitvish, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

A human being is, in my opinion, conditioned such, that, a touch from another one gives him or her, security, happiness, fulfilment and definitely the feeling of being wanted. All these are the essential ingredients for our emotional fulfilment.A human touch does make an unbelievably profound difference!

As soon as a baby is born, the very next minute the baby is kept on the mother’s stomach, even before, the chord is cut. I now think, the bonding as two individuals starts that moment. The baby, after coming from the secure womb of the mother is not allowed to feel unprotected. So, we cover or wrap the baby very well and keep, cuddled to us. The baby is soothed by the touch and, soon, the baby starts recognising the familiar faces, just by the touch. Any crying baby can be pacified, if cosily handled in our arms.As the baby starts growing and becomes a young child, the relationship with touch continues. When the baby cries, he or she flies into the mother’s open arms, which prove the best pacifier !Gradually, the child becomes aware, if noticed by others.

In India, our society is not liberal with views on this matter ! A girl or boy, on reaching adolescent stage is barred from touching, in general ! A girl is barred from touching her brother or father ! It is inexplicable because a loving touch conveys what many words fail to !Why touch, even a clasp can be so meaningful. That gives an assurance, as though, to convey to the other “I am here for you”.When we go to meet somebody bereaved, holding his or her hands can convey our depth of feelings, much more than words can.

After a certain age, a touch conveys, one cares for the other.
    Words are always inadequate to convey what a simple touch conveys.When we meet our relatives or friends after an interval, we just reach out for their hands to convey our happiness on meeting them.

Feelings are the language of the heart and more feelings are conveyed by a simple touch than by complicated words!I love these words:
    I just want something to hold on to
    And a little of that human touch
    Just a little of that human touch.

Love,
    Chithra.

2. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

Namaste Chithraji,

I agree with your blog. Touch is what keeps us reassured in times of need.

When I was in my turbulant teens, all I wanted from my mom was a hug. Just to let me know that the feelings I had, the psychological changes etc was all normal. That worked wonders.

Why humans, even animals respond to touch. The more you pat a dog, the more it knows it is wanted & appreciated.

Scientists say that more then men, women need to be touched by their hubbies/kids as we respond more to touch.

Massages work on the same principle. Touch with a little pressure on a point helps in reducing many pains & discomforts.

In North India, women hug each other in times of happiness & sorrow.

Even during my Bidaai, I got a shoulder sqeeze from dad & my brother that spoke volumes. Mom wept, but dad & my brother conveyed their feelings in one gesture.

Loved your poem Chithraji. I thought ladies well versed in the 16 arts was a myth. You have shattered that myth. SHE has gifted you with a lot of talent.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Regards,

Corallux

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Good topic. I believe that touch heals.

Touch, is the only sense of the five that is found all over our body, the rest are part related, that is ear,eye, nose...

A touch makes a lot of difference as you say.

I seriously wonder about the not to touch after a age even by the father, agreed there were reason and are reasons, but the child the girl in this case feels so left out if she is deprived of the pat on the shoulder or a hug she was getting before. I have personally seen the hurt of a girl in my friend's family.

It's ironic then that just as research is confirming the benefits of therapeutic touch that we're also relying less on touch in the world due to the abuse that is happening around.

I believe a touch, speaks in volumes than words.

4. Chitvish

that you love the topic. I am really relieved.
    Believe me, Lux, in my younger days, in our families, we were "touch-barred" !:wink:
    My in-laws were "worse" in that respect.
    well, let me admit frankly, I was a highly inhibited person, till recently. But Vish continues like that still! :-(
    Yes, animals respond so well to touch.
    It was after my reiki classes that I realised what touch is all about.
    Oh, please, Lux, do not embarass me with your loving words!
    Hugs & love,
    Chithra.

5. Chitvish

Perhaps it was the fear of "touch-abuse" that made our elders insist on
    thottu pesa koodathu!(do not talk, touching a person).bonk
    My parents-in-law were so much against it that if I had to hand over the baby or anyother thing to any male member of the family, it was always through a "medium" ! If ever I collected letters from the postman, my in-laws used to raise hell!Rant
    Believe me, Vish is a chip of the old block. But I must admit my GDs & IL have changed me in that regard ! :)
    Hugs & love,
    Chithra.

6. Indulekha

Indulekha Junior IL'ite

Magical touch

Namasthe Chithraji,

Very interesting read, the power of touch is great..it can do wonders, especially with children in their growing years.

Touch is a basic human instinct each of us is born with. Reaching out and touching another person is a universal action that offers love and caring.

We even use the phrase "keep in touch" as a metaphor for speaking in the near future.

7. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear chithra mam,
    i thought the healing touch was about reiki...but do agree with u that a simple touch is the most reassuring of all ...when u cannot communicate your thoughts....to tell someone that i am here for you.....to pacify a crying child...
    and the biggest pleasure is to hug a smiling child..i did that with my friends 6 month old daughter 2 days back and her happy face is still in my mind...
    Mindi

8. Chitvish

You have a lovely username!!
    Just a touch conveys "I am here for you" - which words cannot convey deeply.
    I fully agree that children should realise the power of touch in their growing years, but I also feel, girl babies should be taught, what is a good touch, what is a bad touch,as they start growing up.Otherwise they will not know the dangers which start with a touch, also.
    Hugs & love,
    Chithra.

9. Chitvish

When I joined my reiki class, we were all asked to sit in a circle holding eachother's hands. This was to make sure, energy does not "leak" out!!
    A touch makes a wailing child stop the same the next minute. No words can!
    Hugs & love,
    Chithra.

10. Shyamalaananth

Shyamalaananth New IL'ite

I totally agree... My younger daughter has always endeared herself to everyone with her spontaneous hugs... even as a little one in play school her teachers used to say that it was impossible to get angry with her when she used to go behind them and envelop them ina warm hug... she still does that.. much to the delight of all our relatives esp the older ones to whom I think a warm touch is a very reassuring way of making them feel loved and wanted. (Shes 16 now)... I come from a family of
    "thottu pesa koodathu." but I have really come to appreciate what a wonderful hug can do... Its indeed a magic circle that blesses both the one that gives and the one that receives ... a perfect gift...her great grandmother whos 95 and spends most of the time by herself in her room breaks out in the widest toothless grin when hugged by my children.