1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Hairless In A Saloon

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 17, 2017.

1. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Cheeniya sir,
    Please delete one feedback. How it came twice I do not know. Sorry.
    Syamala

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@beautifullife30
    Dear beautifullife
    When I got married, my elder brother advised me not to trust my wife with a haircut because it would difficult to know their real intention in making this offer. It could be out of love or spite. I have not forgotten his advice till date. When I hear your grandpa's experience, I remember my brother's advice. All saloon guys dread old men like us as they feel that one wrong click of the scissors, the hell may brake loose! Guys like me are pacifists but some hairless old men could be fiery in their reaction. I even know an old man who breaks into tears if his haircut is not up to his expectation. Hair is a very serious matter particularly when a man gets bald!
    Sri

beautifullife30 likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

@PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear PS
    I loved the subtle humour in your feedback. I was not going to the saloon for trimming my beard earlier as I was doing it myself with an expensive electronic trimmer. But after my stroke, my hands started shaking if I took the trimmer in my hand. I started going to the saloon thereafter! I go to the expensive saloon because my daughter does not want me to be seen with roadside hair cutters! I do not have the mind to displease her! The one thing that opens my philosophical insight is that the same hair that is treated with such respect and devotion when it is on the head but when it is cut off, a helper sweeps it off with a broom stick! You see, I never fail to learn my philosophical insight even in a saloon! Don't worry about not reading the Eyeless in Gaza. We are too young to understand the philosophy of that story!
    Sri

4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

[QUOTE="Cheeniya, post: 3955586, member: 4510"]@PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear PS
    The one thing that opens my philosophical insight is that the same hair that is treated with such respect and devotion when it is on the head but when it is cut off, a helper sweeps it off with a broom stick! You see, I never fail to learn my philosophical insight eve in a saloon!

PS
    தலையின் இழிந்த மயிரனையர் மாந்தர் நிலையின் இழிந்தக் கடை.
    பொய்யாமொழிப் புலவர்

QUOTE="Cheeniya, post: 3955586, member: 4510"]@PushpavalliSrinivasan

Don't worry about not reading the Eyeless in Gaza. We are too young to understand the philosophy of that story!

PS
    After crossing 60 years now I am back to childhood. Hence reading philosophy is out of question. Now I am learning latest nursery rhymes along with my great
    Grand daughter.

5. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Even a hair shines bright thro Cheeniya.
    A lovely snippet.Now saloon is becoming more expensive and it has to be budjeted and cannot be treated as 'after all hair cut'.I took my my grand daughter to a saloon in Singapore and my daughter could not come as her second son was born just a few days back.The Chinese lady asked me so many things which I could not follow at all. Meanwhile my grand daughter ,3 years, ran home and complained that 'patti is a makku patti and does not know to speak to the lady.I ran after her to save her from hasty crossing.The saloon lady caught hold of me and cursed me for her customer loss.My daughter, leaving her 15 days old son accompanied her daughter.Then I started learning certain key expressions and FAQ in a saloon.I struggled to erase the'makku' title.

Jayasala 42

Visalu likes this.
  6. Cheeniya

@Srama

My dear Srama
    I note your point about free service for the hairless. My hairdresser once told me that he hated to charge anything for guys like us but some of them were so fussy that it took hours before they were done with! The matter came up for consideration before the Hairdressers' Union and surprisingly the proposal was rejected by the members unanimously. They all expressed that the fee charged for services rendered to the hairless was not for the haircut but as compensation for all the torture! Take for instance your story. What an intricate job it would be to dye just a couple of hairs! It would be more intricate than carving an idle of Ganesha on a grain of rice!
    Sri

7. Cheeniya

@Padmini

My dear Pads
    That board has been kept in front of the saloon possibly for several reasons:
    It may represent the level of skill in English;
    It may be to communicate the shop owner's contempt for English;
    A warning to children that they will be cut to size if they misbehave;
    That 'Fachial' may indicate that he is a habitual pam-chewer;
    There may be other explanations. The jobless like me may continue to speculate!
    Sri

8. Cheeniya

@Viswamitra

My dear Viswa
    I am thrilled to get such a wonderfully humorous reply from you! Your opening sentence indicates that like me, you must have been an expert in the school in answering 'compare and contrast' questions! Whenever I got a question like that, I would draw a vertical line in the middle of the answer page to compare and contrast two entities! Some dimes, I would spend half an hour in trying to recollect what I had read while preparing for the exam. On a few occasions, I had returned the answer paper only with the vertical line on it being unable to recollect any item of comparison or contrast!
    In my younger days with my head full of hair, I had admired Yul Brynner and the then Miss India, Persis Khambatta for their hairless heads. It has always been my dream to be like them one day and the merciful God could grant me this prayer if not many others!
    "Cutting non-existing hair is injurious to your head" is indeed catchy and highly relevant to the hairless. I should think in terms of demanding a legislation to this effect!
    Sri

Viswamitra likes this.
  9. Cheeniya

@kkrish

My dear kkrish
    I always admire your skill in picking up a random line from my Rambling and elaborate on it! Those days the shop keepers had always loved the youngsters accompanying the elders to the job. Mixed fruit was indeed a very generous reward but then it did not cost the moon then as today. I really love mixed fruits though I have been advised to go slow on it!
    Looking at this universal reaction to Aldous Huxley, I recollect a similar reaction about Bernard Shaw:
    There was a young man of Moose Jaw
    Who wanted to meet Bernard Shaw;
    When they questioned him, 'Why?'
    He made no answer,
    But sharpened an ax and a saw.

With your long hair, you can well afford to say you are sporting it but what would hairless guys like me say? Can we say, 'We are hiding our hair'?
    Sri

kkrish and Viswamitra like this.
  10. Cheeniya

@shyamala1234

My dear Syamala
    Thank you, I had a long chat with my son-in-law about Sri Sri. He was excited that I queried him about Sri Sri and told me a lot about him.
    Lalithaa Jewellers are better known for their owner's bald head than their jewelry. Since you have not had the fortune to see him, here is a picture of him:
    [​IMG]
    If you paste some beard on his face, it will be almost me!
    My saloon chap once told me that working on youngsters full of hair was like wood cutter's job but working on guys like me was like making an intricate jewel in gold! I felt very elated!
    Sri

kkrish and Viswamitra like this.