1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The grueling experience at US

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Jan 16, 2010.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Monifa,
    I am very sorry to hear about the Indian people's above behaviour.
    But there are people who are happy to see our country people. Even there are Americans who are friendly and helpful. When we used to go for walk they always used to wish us.

1017901]Dear PS - I have visited US several times and whenever I happened to meet an Indian family in the Indian shops or in public places I smile at them and say Hello and they don't even acknowledge my greetings.They just look at me as thogh I am an alien and try to walk away! They think it's a disgrace to recognize people from their own country. I don't feel hurt but I just feel ashamed to see our own people behaving in this fashion.
    I have found Americans and their living pattern so different from ours and I think they are living a more macahnized and computerized life but believe me they are generally Okay kind of people. They are under great stress with political and security problems as we all understand. Whichever country we belong to we live here now and share our lives in this world together. We should learn to behave like good human beings no matter which country we belong to.....
    [/quote]

After the 9/11 incident they are always under fear and pressure and so they are extra cautious. After the latest incident of Yemen terrorist trying to blow up the plane, the security will be more tightened.
    Good and bad people are in all countries. The divide and rule by politicians is the real cause for all the hatred.
    As you say, which ever country we belong to we should learn to behave as good human beings and our policy should be live and let live!
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts,
    Love,
    PS

2. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Deleted as it was a duplicated message.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  3. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Dear Pushpa maam,

I am very sorry to hear the incident(s).

Yes, I can hear what you say.It really gets on to my nerves when I see these Americans checking only the Asians and insult them in the name of security check.

I was working with one of the leading Bank in US.Can you imagine one of my client working in the same bank(I repeat same bank to stress on his education) told me that his flight landed in Singapore due to an emergency and he was scared throughout sitting in the flight since he has landed in a terrorist country.How stupid can he be?I was wondering whether he knows anything other than US.I explained him that terrorism started in British days and COLONIALISM IS A FORM OF TERRORISM.You need not be scared of us as we are good and receptive(which leaded to colonialism).Though he said "Ooops sorry I misunderstood things.It is so foolish of me.."blah.blh..blah...I know that these guys are frog in the well and will never change.

We just cannot change this attitude of theirs.It is our own people who put us down in front of them.Because we are the ones who take these insults silently and say "US is the Best".I had a (specimen) classmate during my college days.When this guy got less marks in his GRE exams and did not get admission in good colleges, went with his friends to Elliots Beach and started acting crazy over there saying "India is the best man"...Can you imagine we have nuts like this?We have a lot of wierdos like these.

A lot of us say "phew..the same Indian mentality".Come on what is wrong with Indian mentality and who said American mentality is the best.

People coming back from Foreign countries asking whether the Indian education would "SUIT" their kid even after knowing that we have better education .phew....

And last but not the least when they try to imitate THE ACCENT.For god's sake why don't we realise that ENGLISH IS JUST A LANGUAGE LIKE TAMIL OR HINDI.Speak in whichever accent you are comfortable.I have seen people saying with pride that their relatives have difficulty in understanding their kid's english(due to the accent).

I agree 100% with what Srividhya has told.

I would say that Americans are generally good and they live their way of life.The checkings and others things are part of their life.

But is us(Indians) who need a rude wakening.We need to learn to respect ourselves first.Wherever we are we need to good human being first.

Please do not misundserstand that I am against all NRIs.I am just trying to say as NRIs we have a extra responsibility of showcasing India.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Shanti,
    Thanks for posting your opinion. I did not find racism in US. I think fear is the real cause for the vigorous security checking.
    As you have mentioned certain names ring the alarm bells for them. So they keep them under surveillance.
    Thanks for your sari suggestion which will be useful for sari clad women.
    Love,
    PS

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear TL,
    Sorry to hear about your aunt's embarrassing moments at the hands of the security woman.
    During our first visit to US that was before 9/11 incident, the security check was not so vigorous.
    Thanks for dropping in,
    Love,
    PS

6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Radhika,
    Medical facility in India is the best and you do not have to wait in case of emergency.
    Your experience at Heathrow airport and your reaction to it did not cause more problem, is really very heartening.
    You were really lucky that there was no repercussion because of your questioning them.
    Thanks for sharing your experience,
    Love,
    PS

7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Bhuvnidhi,
    I did not find any discrimination in the security checking in US airports. I had posted this thread to create awareness for those who will be visiting US to be prepared, especially sari clad women.

There are ignorant people even in Western countries.
    Thanks for dropping in and posting your views,
    Love,
    PS

<table class="tborder" id="post1018649" width="100%" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr><tr><td class="alt1" id="td_post_1018649">
    </td></tr></tr></tbody></table>

8. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Dear PS

Thanks for your message. Pushpa, Americans are not racist I said, but their system..... especially the airport staff.

Having said that I want to share my own experience. When we visited Hong Kong and China last year, (In Hong Kong it was visa on arrival for Indian passport) everything went off so well until we reach the HK rly station from Shenzhen (China), where we went by train from Hong Kong, a trip organised by a tour operator. In the group, except our family all others are westerners from Australia, New Zealand and Europe.

Each and every one followed the same procedure from the moment we left our hotel in HK. But on our return to HK Rly station from Shenzhe, the Immigration told us to stay in the side allowing all others move forward retaining our passports. We were wondering why....... and lead us to a room. They told us wait there, where many Chinese without Visa etc were detained and or for some other reasons which was very unpleasant for us.

There were 3 or 4 cubicles where they keep calling every one turn by turn for questioning. They called my DH and he went (they stopped us accompanying him), then he called me and my DD. Asked why we went to China, what we are doing and similar unnecessary questions (we were very worried as to the best of our knowledge we did not do anything illegal). On arrival from Dubai at HK airport they gave us Visa without a question!!!!!!!! whats the problem in the Rly station for them? I prayed and called all Gods. At last after 2 hours they let us leave......... why? We are browns and not whites or what reason?

The entire world supports Fair and Lovely and not Brown and Lovely.

This is my opinion.

Thanks Pushpa that you liked my saree suggestion.........

Best Regards
    Shanti

9. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear PS,
    Sad that you had some lousy experience in US. I suppose they are quite paranoid about lot of things and mostly they are not knowlegeable about other world.
    9/11 had made matters worse. As to airlines ,asian airlines are courteous and hospitable compared to others. Though i don't have much good opinion about AI due to inefficiency, but Indians are generally hospitable.
    Jaya

10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Shanthi,
    Sorry to hear about your harrowing experience at HK rly station.
    Now HK under Chinese control should not have this discrimination.
    Even in our country people prefer fair and lovely and shy away from dark complexioned people. No wonder HK which was under British rule, people adore fair skinned people and give preferential treatment to them.
    It is pitiable that people are behaving like this with tourists.
    Love,
    PS