1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The "Green Revolution"

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, May 6, 2015.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

"Give a dog a bad name and hang it" goes the proverb. I am somewhat guilty of the same vis a vis our ruling party. Let me tell you how. Before they came into power, I was seriously concerned about it being a party full of misogynists - remember a group which attacked women at a house party, which claimed links with our "Maaibaap"? I was seriously worried about what the status of women would be after they came to power. I was also unnecessarily skeptical about their promises and thought they would just be the proverbial "old wine in a new bottle".

I really need not have worried. Indeed, I should not have been so quick to judge. Now which party has done so much good to womankind, in fact tilted the socio-economic balance in favour of women? Just think, we did not have enough toilets for women in the country when a woman (at least de facto) was at the helm . Now we have a party which promised to provide toilets for women all over the place. Did they? I would not know.

One thing I certainly know for sure. They believe "if you can't provide cake to the hoi polloi, don't eat any yourself either". So a prominent male member of the party has taken to experiencing first hand what life for the other gender must be like - he too does without a toilet. Not only women, he also shows solidarity with patients who need to use containers instead of toilets.

Then he does a tremendous service to our ecology by recycling it - he uses it to feed to the plants. The nitrogen rich stuff enhances growth of plants, so much so that visitors envy their gardens! Our very own Minister for Transport has taken to collecting his own urine in a 50 liter can and then using it to water his plants.

Now just think of that. Just one big 50 liter can instead of multiple little cans. That means less of plastic stuff floating around and more stuff floating around in plastic, both of which is put to use. Only wonder, 50 liters per day????? Or should that read how many days per can? Or does the entire family express solidarity with the masses?

Consider other ways in which he is doing a great service to this country. As it is, people don't particularly like using toilets. So instead of wasting money or depriving people of their democratic rights by lining streets with toilets at regular intervals, what if cans were left at convenient spots? The roads would not smell either.

Water shortage affecting agriculture would soon become a tale of the past. Just let the great Indian public loose on farms and we would soon have a new version of the green revolution.

Not to forget, he needs to be lauded for carrying forward the legacy of a previous PM who advocated the health benefits of drinking one's own urine ..... he has gone one step further and decided to share the benfits of this practice with plants too - the plants apparently are healthier and grow to about 1.5X the size. Morarji bhai amar rahe! You have not been forgotten.

2 people like this.

2. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Revolution of sorts, @Satchitananda!

I remember people carrying "lota" and going into the fields at the break of dawn. Only they carried clean water. Now probably people should start carrying cans given the absence of toilets and the condition of toilets when they are available.

1 person likes this.
  3. satchitananda

They certainly will be doing a great service to the environment and to the cause of greening it, Butterflyice!:-D

4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Satchin when I replied to your earthwormy thread., I didn't notice this one. If drinking from one's own cistern as our ex premier did is benefricial then eating fruits and vgegetables from plants watered from one's own cistern must be equally beneficial.

1 person likes this.
  5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,
    An idea i have. let corporates make small cans with their logos, and give them out for free to the public. people can store their urine, and then go sell by the litre to farmers eh !
    And guests must also be told to contribute.

imagine sugarcane growing with this manure. The taste will never be sweet again.
    And if roses are watered with urine, shakesphere will be proved wrong, for he said, a rose by any other name, would smell as sweet.

HAHA.superb revolution u have brought in, u deserve the bharat chakra, ratna, or whatever.what say?

Regards

kamal

2 people like this.
  6. satchitananda

Haha Balajee. See one more saving for our "Maaibaap's" kitty. No more agricultural subsidies required. No electricity required to pump water to the farms. In fact darkness would be more advantageous from the point of view of logistics. I was also wondering whether the stench would reduce if the stuff was really used as manure. I mean, when one composts, the decaying matter does not smell at all! So the entire country could smell of fresh earth.

On a more serious note, I am not so sure his claim holds true because the quantity of urea or nitrogenous stuff in the waste might be too much for the plant to handle.

7. satchitananda

Kamalji, the sugarcane might taste sweeter having benefited from all the extra nitrogen it gets. The salt might be bioprocessed to sugar!

8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

I am a big proponent of recycling to keep the planet healthy and we owe it to this beautiful planet. We have recycled water for the plants in our city. But it is professionally managed. I won't go to the extent of recycling the human waste for own consumption.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  9. satchitananda

After all the promises to build more toilets, doesn't this sound like a ruse not to build them?