1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Great Big Must Read List

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by PriyaSrini, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Here is a list of books that have made a definite and lasting impression on me and continue to. Yes, I have read each of these over and over and over...

1. Illusions - Richard Bach
    2. The Pilgrimage - Paulo Coelho
    3. The Man - Irving Wallace
    4. Jonathan Livingston seagull - Richard Bach

I continue to read Patanjali's yoga sutras on a regular basis :hide: for yoga and Sanskrit and the book and practice never fail me!

I will update the list as I continue to think through.

4 people like this.
  2. Maddy2087

Maddy2087 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Friends,

These are the books i swear by as they really affect our way of thinking in very positive ways. These books remain close to my heart :)

Dr Brian Weiss : All the books of doctor Brian Weiss are amazing. They help us understand life, pain, sufferings in detail.

Dr Joseph Murphy : The power of your subconscious mind. This book helps us understand the secret of human mind. How it actually functions and how we unknowingly program our brain.

C . James Jensen: Beyond the power of your subconscious mind. This book helps us discover the creative layer of human mind " The supraconcious layer " which can be tapped into anytime to achieve anything in life.

Robin Sharma : Oh my !!!!what can i say now. I am in love with his books. Amazing stuff. All his books are a blessing to the world :).

T.T Rangarajan : Unposted letter . A wonderful book filled with amazing wisdom from all the walks of life.

Hermann Hesse : Siddhartha,ofcourse

Nepoleon Hill : Think and grow rich. This will definitely change your life :)

Rk Narayanan : The english teacher . One book that absolutely made me understand the meaning of true love. Must read!!!!

Fedrick Forsyth : The Odessa file . Describes the pain that the Jews underwent during the war time.

Paulo Coehlo : Brida . This book is about Soulmates, i loved the writing style and the message it tries to deliver, that, soulmates are not meant to spend life with us forever and ever, sometimes, they just come into our lives to help us find our purpose :)

So that was it i guess. I shall update you all with a new list soon.

With Love,
    Maddy

2 people like this.
  3. DeviOT

DeviOT Senior IL'ite

1, 2 and 3 Shiva Trilogy - Immortals of Meluha, The secret of the nagas , oath of vayuputhras.
    ( a fiction narrates how a simple tribal man becomes the Mahadev)
    Author Amish Thripathi
    4. Five love languages

1 person likes this.
  4. PriyaSrini

PriyaSrini Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Devi welcome to the club. I haven't come across this book, who is the author and what is it about? Is it like the "Chicken Soup" series?

5. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Priya, though the question is addressed to Devi, I am sharing what I know about that book. Its like "Men are from Mars...", the author says each person has a unique love language through which they express their love/feelings such as touch, gifts, spending quality time, affirmation, etc. and describes how to communicate with our spouse/partner using his/her love language. Author is Gary Chapman.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

i think that is gary chapman's the 5 love languages.. it is a nice book. a friend was recommended this book along with vijay nagaswami's 50-50 during a bad phase of her marriage. i just read them. liked the way he tries to justify/prove his belief that bad marriages are because each of us believes in a way of love language.

7. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Hey,

I have heard so much about this book. So one day I picked it for reading, but could not read more than a page. I mean the author had written with lots of frammatical errors intentionally as it is written from a maid's POV, so it took me more time to understand and I gradually lost interest.

Anyway, here is my list:

The immortals of meluha - Amish Tripati
    A thousand splendid suns - Khaled Hosseini
    The kite runner - Khaled Hosseini
    The power of Now - Eckhart Tolle
    Tell me your dreams - Sidney Sheldon
    Ponniyin Selvan - Kalki
    Angels and Demons - Dan brown
    Shall we tell the president - Jeffrey Archer
    Most of Robin cook - exceptional medical thrillers

and many more that I cant remember! :( Thanks Priya for this thread, got to know many books and have added some of them to my to-read list! :)

2 people like this.
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

cb cross posted. i think i have the ebook somewhere in the system.

9. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Shanvy, I have that ebook but did not get around to complete it. Is it good?

10. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

I like Arthur Haiely books...best are Airport and Final Diagnosis. Irwing Wallace also...especially Man.
    Syamala

1 person likes this.