1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Great Big Must Read List

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by PriyaSrini, Aug 12, 2014.

1. deepslikes

deepslikes Platinum IL'ite

Posting to subscribe to this lovely thread.. I had limited my reading years ago.. so that I can spend time on other hobbies, and now I find that I have completely stopped.

I love Dostoevsky.. Joseph Heller is a favorite too. Feel like re-reading now, but then so many other books to read thinkingsmiley

1 person likes this.
  2. nikitamjain

nikitamjain Silver IL'ite

Little time on hand, will put down whatever i can
    1. The Alchemist
    2. The Kite Runner
    3. Shantaram
    4. Tell a thousand lies
    5. Many lives, many masters
    6. The folk of the faraway tree (everything by enid blyton actually)
    7. The monk who sold his ferrari
    8. How to win friends and influence people - original by Dale carnegie
    9. The naughtiest girl series, again by enid blyton
    10. The undomestic goddess

1 person likes this.
  3. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

I am really awed observing the reading habits of everyone here. Reading everyday, reading with passion, reading with an owlish twitch in the night.

To be frank I realized that I'm so disorganised in life that the only time I find to grab a book is on my exercise bike 10:00PM to 11:00PM in gym, I skip my exercise, I skip the read. No other time in 24H can I sit quietly and read , or explore the pleasure and joy of reading. And the reason I read when I exercise is to stimulate natural analgesic in my body, against the whirring of my calcified limbs.

1 person likes this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

And yet, some body has THAT for their profile picture....you are always reading and learning my dear!

3 people like this.
  5. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

I never attempt to read unabridged versions (even today). Go to the store and ask , is there any edition for young adults , and if there is I ask further, is there any no frill-less edition for young kids with reading disability, who have problems keeping awake after reading 20 pages, and start seeing sheep stotting the room after Chapter I.

The above books are memorable because fortunately I found what I was looking for lightest 'pocket editions' when I was in school. :)

6. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

Haha! No Srama, I read l-i-t-t-l-e, infact I've always read less, may be eclectic, unreticulated reading but the profile picture is me trying to figure out how to read (get inside the book, over the book, astride the book), not what to read :biggrin2:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Got to give it to you girl! Now I am intrigued with that book - on how to read a book.! You know who will benefit from it....

8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Sorry ladies and Priya for the digression. I promise, I have a list and will step in soon.

9. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Good list! I agree with you on all but Ayn Rand. Those 1000+ pages of 'Who is John Galt?' made want to slap myself silly for buying that book with my measly weekly allowance back in college. If you like 'Palace of Illusions', check out Divakaruni's 'Mistress of Spices'. The ending feels a bit hurried but the prose is the real star.

10. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

This sentence evoked the days when the sorority of Kappa Kappa Gamma used to embark beyond the barbican, crossing the river, walking past obscure by-streets, emerging into a clammy agora smelling of moldy books, unable to afford the minted editions.

Chaffering with the brusque pedlar, scowling how he was fleecing, and if that did not work walking away with dejected eyes, puckered lips , droopy ears harking to the dorm atop mountain on the other side of the city , having skipped the lunch in refectory to pool doubloons for those tattered Sidney Sheldon books. "Wait, you girls are crazy, take the book and scoot never to meet me again"

(Okay that was our posse of wicked hussies rushing to the Sunday flea market in the noughties. What an epoch of bliss , sheer bliss , those days! Aich! G Of T is getting into me)