1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Goody Bag

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by shivachoubey, Feb 9, 2010.

1. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

When hunger attacks at home we are always prepared but what when hunger attacks in dark alleys and you have no way to protect yourself from the ever inviting pizza.

In mumbai, before boarding my office bus back home, I knew the bus would be stuck in traffic for hours, so before boarding the bus I would get 2 vada pav packed for my journey. I was happy and my stomach was also happy though waist was not as it was already straining under loads of fat.

In UAE every petrol pump had a burger joint so whenever hunger striked on long drives, a burger would keep me happy though my hips would cry in pain because of the load they had to bear.

Those were old fat days. So when I came to Muscat, I thought I had control over my hunger and nothing could ever tempt me. I am queen of resisting temptation. But whenever I would go to malls or on long drives I would become very hungry and the only option would be to grab something from outside. Shopping with friends would take the whole day and of course that meant getting tired and taking a break to eat something unhealthy. Same for the long drives.

Now if you are on weight loss you really cannot afford to eat out every second day can you?? No you cannot. Once in while I agree but not every second day.

So I came up with this goody bag. The goody bag has

1. Roasted puffed rice.
    2. Roasted green peas.
    3. Walnuts.
    4. Roasted peanuts.
    5 cornflakes.
    6. Roasted Channa
    7. Roasted Channa Dhal (daalia dhal)

View attachment 130028

Adjust the amount of stuff as per your requirement. I put peanuts and walnuts in moderate amount.

One such bag is always there in my hubby's drawer in office. Whenever he is running late for lunch or is hungry he will grab a handful. Its far far better than eating biscuits or a samosa.

One such bag stays in my purse. So, even in malls while shopping if hunger strikes this is what I reach for.

One such bag stays in my car. Whenever hubby or both of us are stuck in traffic or on long drives and are hungry then we have this.

As per my experience, 2-3 handful of this bag followed by water keeps the hunger at bay for 1-2 hours. Which is enough time for you to come back to your senses, to either return home for dinner or grab something healthy to eat.

Have a good day ahead with your goody bag.

2. neha_garg11

neha_garg11 New IL'ite

Hi,

You know daily when i switch on my system ,First of all i login on Indusladies for any update from your side.Your this post is really good. You solved my snacking problem.I will go to market and will purchase all these things.

Thanks,
    Neha Garg

3. shivachoubey

Nice to hear from you. How are you doing??. I am glad you liked the bag. Have fun and enjoy it.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hey shiva,

nice goody bag. I make it here once a while for the family, i don't use cornflakes. but add a little roasted sesame and curry leaves for flavour. oh, i miss the long drives. we always took home made goodies on long drives.

5. shivachoubey

Sesame sounds good to me, I will add it too. Yeh long drives are fun and moreover here that is all what we have :).

6. libra4164

libra4164 Silver IL'ite

Hi Shiva, That bag looks like Indian bhel. Add some spicy chutney and you are good to go.
    Just one question about puffed rice. Isn't it same like eating rice. Many dieticians say you can eat puffed rice and nimbu pani during hunger pangs, but I could never understand the logic behind it.

7. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    Thats a neat idea Shiva. And since nuts, fried gram are added its nutricious. IN karnataka they make something similar but with a lot more gram, roasted nuts, copra and pieces of jaggery and til.
    I think i'll make this mixture tomorrow and store for teatime snacking !

8. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Shiva, i posted a comment, but it has disappeared somewhere !

Just to say, this is a neat idea . This nutritious mixture can also be good as a tea time snack or during TV viewing ! Instead of eating chips.

In Karnataka they make similar mix with Til and copra pieces added. And lots of peanuts.

9. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

ooops !
    Both came on together ! Dunno how to remove one. Hope u dont mind.

10. jananirbk

jananirbk Senior IL'ite

Hai Shiva!!

That was a crunchy healthy snack, will try it out!!! Reading ur post, it just came to my mind, One of my cousin whenever he goes out, used to stop near hotels and we can't budge him an inch and will tell "am very hungry, I cant walk!!" Even if my aunt force him to eat before going out, he will eat something and tell "I am full," but still will stop at hotels!! This continued until he was in his teens!!, but he is a lean person :) Regards, Janani Natarajan