1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Goodbyes Of Many Things

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Rihana, Oct 1, 2020.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Madam, An interesting snippet on Good bye.
    It is a part and parcel of our life schedule.We throw away old books, toys, dress and notebooks and are ready to load in fresh items.

But withour knowledge nature plays its role in bringing in Goodbye to so many things.Infanthood to child, girlhood/boyhood to adult man/ woman making one father/mother.Every stage is a journey.We are lifted from stage to stage.There is no depromotion or staggering. All do pass.What a beautiful sport we are in!We simply move from stage to stage without being assessed by anyone!No one is out from the game. Your participation is bound by law and you retire only on final breath.It is a fine stretch from womb to tomb,from cradle to coffin with so many in built changes without human intervention.All good byes are automatic without any effort on your part!Call it destiny or sports!Just accept and relax!There is no score board to get you out. The scorer may be , as some believe is God Almighty, who just transfers the scores obtained in all the stages to the higher ups in the next birth, just like GRE TOEFL scores are sent to University straight!
    The impact of scores will be known only in next birth on the basis of Kaarmic survey, an imprint which seems to get attached to the soul!
    Jayasala42

Rihana likes this.
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

For some reason it has been getting easier to part with things that are "mine." Now I am being more careful with things that belong to the kids. I absolutely don't want to be later blamed "you gave this away..that away..."

Sometimes when I give away old things, I keep a small piece or part of it. Like, I kept one "handkerchief" from the 20+ beautiful ones I had. The kids looked at me like I was from the Victorian era when I explained how we used handkerchiefs, and the smaller woman's ones and the larger, more useful, mostly plaid men's ones. Retaining just one of a set reminds me of giving curd to the neighbor surprised with unexpected dinner guests but making sure to keep some for our perugu thodu/jaman (yogurt culture?). : )

Amica likes this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: That is extra ordinary genius thought juxtaposed in a different realm when ordinary like me think of only objects man made and artificial which many times bid good bye on their own.
    Thanks and Regards.

Rihana likes this.
  4. Rihana

The few things I had from school years and junior college was tossed out within a year after I left India. It used to occupy about 12 x 18 x 6 inches in an old almirah. I don't know what hurt more -- that the items were gone or that they didn't get my sense of loss. All I have now from the years of my life in India are a few photographs (less than 10) that I insisted on taking. Any other item I ever showed an interest in taking, immediately went up in "value" like a mask, toilet paper or hand sanitizer went up in early Covid times. : )

5. Rihana

ROFL. : ) What an apt comparison! I am never going to think of GRE/TOEFL scores in the same way ever again. : )

6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Awesome post.You should have posted this on 30th September. Like Viswa said I also wanted to nominate but can't.

Goodbyes make you think .They make you realise what you have had ,0what you have lost and what you have taken for granted
    Rituals Ghatourey.

Saying goodbye to friends and things is very difficult for me. The most difficult thing for me was to say goodbye to my best friend in school .We were friends from 1957 .she was very.rich but down to earth. We studied together.Go to school in her car. We were staying in Hyderabad. When we left Hyderabad for good in 1965 saying goodbye to her was a tough thing. Earlier we were in touch through letters and after mobiles were introduced through.whatsapp. But so sad recently she bid goodbye to the world in August. Both she and her husband died iAugust due to covid. He on 21st a nd she on 23rd August. Since she was not in senses she did not know about her husband's death.

In my life I have said goodbye to many houses in Hyderabad and in Mumbai. Saying good bye to friends from.school and offices was very difficult especially those who were very close.Thanks to technology I am still in touch with office friends through WhatsApp and fb.

Saying goodbye to things. After marriage I had to say goodbye to so many things,the letters from friends etc. After marriage I used to keep the letters from my sister for a long time but one day I had bid goodbye to those letters.

Some things I still treasure,like the old photos which bring sweet memories the gifts.In my God's stand there are many photos and idols which I treasure. Even my maid has give some God's photos.

Earlier I had to say goodbye using my Computer which is still thre but not working. I dont use the laptop gifted by my son in 2014 as it is easy to use mobile which he gifted last year

The only time it is painful when you can never say hello again.It is painful for every girl to say goodbye to her parents when she leaves the house after marriage, though she visits her parents after marriage many times.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    Amica, Rihana and Thyagarajan like this.
  7. Thyagarajan

@Rihana
    Kudos to you on your essay about disappearance of articles and objects that once upon a time very dear and close to you.
    A super article titled succinctly that triggers in the reader to brood about such “Good-byes” in his or her own life.
    Nostalgic indeed.
    But then, alas - I am deprived of nominating
    your post for best of current month.
    I attempted recalling the numerous
    Articles and other things that have given me
    a go by without any alert caution warning and found a few.
    I was trying to thinking in chronological order
    which have disappeared in that manner.
    The most notable good-bye
    was my antediluvian
    bicycle and the 5x4 dinning table.
    Bicycle lost to a thief from college campus.

I jumped into the class from outside from my cycle and answered the roll call jumped out of the class as professor started writing “Entropy” on that huge black board - that was the first hour class at 7.30. A.M.
    But then my bicycle disappeared.

Yet another huge Good-bye was,
    bank debit card swallowed by an ATM.
    This reminds the story in the link ....

Chess With My Pin

As a school student, I sold huge collection of
    tamil Magazines KANNAN, KALKANDU, AMBULIMAMAM &
    school text books of mine and friends’ as well- displaying them on footpath -
    near Moore market.
    Selling my own text books brought tears to me then.

And then the delight
    in my able to get second hand text books
    from same platform for the ensuing academic year.

Right from my infant-hood I fancied till yesterday many things that was close to my heart and then their quiet and or sudden departure from my sight, brought tears to me as often as I thought about their friendliness or and usefulness.

Those items include combs, special shaped milk feeds ( கிண்டி & பாலாடை), cameras - a Yashika & a cannon QL , a souvenir Favre-Leuba is the second oldest Swiss wrist watch lost to a thief in a Mumbai lodge.

Another memorable Good-Bye incident was losing a blue shawl of spouse in the winter dawn in September 1978 that takes me to the moment in the story

3s-spouse, Shawl & Sister-in-law

When ruddiwalla came on a Sunday with weighing scale ( magnets under the pan) I was disposing off my son’s old books without his permission. It was all stinking as a mother cat pissed all over the carton in which those old books stored. Son came in a rush, removed those books from pan into another carton and told me in rasping tone “never lay hands on these books”. Two decades gone by It is still occupying a place in the attic.

Thanks once again for that terrific nostalgia.

Regards.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    Rihana and iyerviji like this.
  8. Thyagarajan

@iyerviji
    :hello:
    Since you clicked “LIKE” button #27 I edited it slightly.
    I hope you would still like it.

Thanks and Regards.

Rihana likes this.
  9. Thyagarajan

:hello:@iyerviji
    #26 the sad part you had stated about losing your bosom friend and her husband to COVID last Aug - tear jerking.

But from men side there is no such parallel.
    • Immediate of my wedding I took spouse to Bombay now Mumbai away from Madras now chennai our parents place and hence we do exchange lot of letters and make CONVERSATIONS over STD calls. But after wedding of my sister-in-law, I stopped writing to her and she quizzed me.
    • When she was in her parents home at Madras for confinement, I used to write to her almost daily and she would reply once in a week. I wrote all in flowery colourful letter heads but she would write only inland letters. We had collected all these letters and preserved still in folder. Fortunately no goodbye yet to these missives.
    Quite true.

It is heart felt, heart wrenching emotional packed FB.
    Thanks and Regards.

Rihana likes this.
  10. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Yay! Another delightful snippet from Rihana! You paint such beautiful pictures and transport me back to my childhood.

Your old desk sounds so nice, I took a break to search through CL for it. :p

Unlike the young Ms Shravs :smilingimp:, I am bigly attached to people and only secondarily attached to things. I love some of my relatives and it is only because of that deep and abiding affection that I covet am attached to their stuff. For example, I am very attached to Mom's jewelry, Gran's asli jari saris, MIL's pearls, SIL's solid silver dinner service for 12 and BIL's house mansion.

I would like to own all of the above and never have to say good-bye to them. For purely sentimental reasons, of course. :innocent:

On a serious note, your posts are so relatable. I was nodding along all through the OP and through several of your responses. Been there, experienced that.

On one India trip, I photographed all surviving childhood items carefully — including a one-eyed doll with knotted hair and rust-stained dress — before consenting to them being finally trashed.

I would have nominated this snippet had I not had to bid goodbye to nominating privileges recently. Know that you win the popular vote by a landslide even if the electoral college system overrides the people's choice. :thumbsup:

Thyagarajan, Rihana and Viswamitra like this.