1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Golden Rule

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by honeybee, Jul 11, 2012.

1. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Finest Blog - Third Weekly Pick of July 2012

Some people,words of experience have an ever lasting impression on our lives. One such quote which influenced my life is
    "Lord,give me the wisdom when to speak and when to be silent!

This was the maxim which my favourite teacher had written in my scrapbook years back.I still remember her telling me.."Practice this virtue,you'll command respect wherever you go."I ,being a steadfast chatterbox then interpreted it as "She wants me to put a hold on my bantering skills".

With passing years I gave a serious thought to her words and understood the depth of the words.
    It is not practical to always keep silent when somebody asks a sensitive or probing question. Though silence is golden,it cannot be practised universally .The best option is to keep the answers curt or change the topic with a smile.

My interpretation of the proverb is " Speak with presence of mind".All our thoughts need not be translated into words.Speak only the relevant .We are the slaves of spoken words and they cannot be recalled back,especially if they have hurt somebody knowingly or
    unknowingly.Thinking before speaking can prevent irreversable damage,avert misunderstandings which can last for a lifetime.

Controlling our senses,especially the tongue which is a powerful weapon that inflicts deep wounds without bloodshed is the first step to salvation.

I once met a gentleman in Shatabdi Express.He is into corporate training for personality development.We had a chat and he casually remarked.. "I am a reserved person by choice,let alone my profession. My wife and I speak to each other only if necessary."I was shocked and asked him.."Why so?"

HE said "I will ask you a question and your answer will answer your question as well.""What do you talk about, to your husband everyday?"I thought for a while and said.."day to day happenings of course!" He asked "Will that not include complaints and gossip leading to a negative atmosphere?"I nodded in affirmative.He said "That explains it... when you reduce your talk time you begin to reflect,conserve energy and that will make you a better human being."

Words of Wisdom indeed.
    Another proverb that has helped me to move on is

"Words are mine,meaning is yours!"
    I recollect all my mentors who have shown me the path to humanity with gratitude.

2. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

That was a beautiful piece of wisdom, Honeybee. Enjoyed reading it. Thanks. -rgs

3. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

RGs
    BTW you've given me a new name.I Hope the original nandinimithun would not mind.:rotfl

regards
    honeybee

4. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

I apologize, Honeybee. Corrected the mistake now. -rgs

5. nihasvin

nihasvin Platinum IL'ite

Lovely post Honeybee :)
    I was talkative but now i speak little less (influenced by my DH :) )

6. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

RGS
    There is absolutely no need to be apologetic.Why formalities?I was just pulling your leg.I was elated to receive your feedback as the first one.:thumbsup

regards
    honeybee

7. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Hi nihasvin
    Thanks for dropping in.
    So hubby is a positive influence on you?Great going!
    Same with me too.

regards
    honeybee

8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Hi Honeybee,

Very well written blog. Thank you. Unfortunately, we were all trained to read, write and speak but no formal training for us in the school to develop our listening skills. Half the communication is because we don't have listening skills. By listening skill, I mean, both spoken and body language.

Similar to you, one of such words of wisdom that changed my life is:

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, And wisdom to know the difference."

I believe most that we have control to change resides in us. Other measurement, I learned from my Guru is the following:

1) We can't always oblige to the request of others but we can speak obligingly

2) When we convert thoughts into words, we need to mix it with love

3) We need to speak loudly to praise the name of the Lord

4) We need to speak whenever we get an opportunity to praise the fellow beings

5) We need to speak to the children with the thought that our words have powerful impact in their lives

The words spoken by the Founders of the religions and the thought leaders of this world had powerful impact in the life of many. At the same time, the words spoken by the tyrant also changed the life of many in the world.

My favorite retrospection exercise is how many times I spoke today for a good cause.

Viswa

9. InnerBliss

InnerBliss Gold IL'ite

Thank you honeybee for sharing your learning on when to speak and what to speak.

I have really experienced this when I have had the quiet day :)

I loved it. It is true that we all have different interpretations to the same thing.

Life is a continuous learning journey. It is admirable that you don't miss the chance of learning good lessons from your mentors and teachers.Thanks once again for sharing your precious thoughts.

10. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Viswa sir
    An enlightening reply.
    Thank you so much.. your responses are always a value add.
    Loved this sentence.It's like making a note of how many good things we do in a day.
    regards
    honeybee